Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I personally can't stand whiny, nitpicky passengers I have to fly with. We're all in the same bucket o' misery, and my philosophy is to grin and bear the annoyances that come with it in exchange for the convenience and safety that flying offers me and the other passengers. You must be loads of fun at parties

In my defense, I didn't say that I complain or even roll my eyes at the annoyances of coach air travel. If anything, my face is a mask of composure unbreakable by even the most shrill toddler's shriek or elbow to the ribs.

When I enter one of these 'buckets of misery', I try to consider how my actions affect my travel mates in order to ameliorate the built in, unavoidable stresses of commercial air travel. That means keeping my elbows in, trying not to chew whatever food I have with my mouth open, sneezing or coughing into my elbow, etc. Unfortunately, not everyone has the same consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:02 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
I was going to ask WHAT FOOD? they don't provide anything any more for the freaking high prices they charge.
Peanuts suck! lol

We've learned to order sub sandwiches and take them with us to the airport. You just have to check with the airlines if you you can take them on the plane with you. Some won't allow packages that are "open".

Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
As someone has mentioned, airplane food on long haul international flights (8 hours or more) has actually improved a lot.

Of course, that depends on what airline you're flying. The reputable foreign carriers (Singapore, Cathay Pacific, Qatar, Emirates) all have good food and excellent service. Whenever I go to Asia, I always choose Singapore Airlines. Their airfare is usually much more expensive than other airlines but you pay for quality.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:11 PM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
On Southwest, the Greyhound of the Skies, you get a tiny complementary bag of either ritz bitz sandwich crackers, pretzels, or wheat thins, and a free soft drink. This may be different on longer flights, but I wouldn't know, since the longest flight I have taken with them was about 4 hours long.

I have seen people who have brought food on board. that was purchased at the airport.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
do people read? Third time posting, the couple that bought the chips were overcharged.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:34 PM

269 posts, read 247,582 times
I've recently flown roughly 8 domestic flights in Russia (Aeroflot) and SE Asia (Dragonair, Asia Air, and Bangkok Airways). Each of these flights was between 1 hour and 2.5 hours and in each of these flights, the cabin crew served full meals in economy class (in addition Bangkok Airways serves soft drinks continuously at cruising altitude....they just don't stop offering drinks). I've also recently flown Delta, and American Airlines economy between several US cities, and of course no meals. No big deal. I really don't care much. But, it's become very clear to me that even on very short flights overseas, the cabin crew in my experience puts a meal in front of you. In October, I flew BKK to Chiang Mai; back to BKK; then back to Chiang Mai (each is a 1 hour flight; meals every time). The last time I had a connection in Chiang Mai to Hong Kong (meal 2.5 hour flight). I'd wished I didn't eat at the AP in BKK.

The American carriers always (in my experience) sell every last seat also. When I fly regionally overseas, it's not uncommon to have empty middle seats. This has been my experience pretty consistently.

Overseas, to Europe or Asia, regardless of Carrier, I've never been disappointed with the food service.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
On Southwest, the Greyhound of the Skies, you get a tiny complementary bag of either ritz bitz sandwich crackers, pretzels, or wheat thins, and a free soft drink. This may be different on longer flights, but I wouldn't know, since the longest flight I have taken with them was about 4 hours long.

I have seen people who have brought food on board. that was purchased at the airport.
ON the SW flights I have been on, they let you take more than one bag of snacks, and have gone back though to see if you want any more. Certainly more generous than other airlines that offer nothing. I miss the cookies Frontier used to "bake"

Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
That is more food than you are getting in domestic flights on the legacy airlines.

And it is not entirely true. You get two or three full sized packages of Nabisco products on the long flights.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is more food than you are getting in domestic flights on the legacy airlines.

And it is not entirely true. You get two or three full sized packages of Nabisco products on the long flights.

AND peanuts! They are the only airline I have used that still gives you peanuts.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 AM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
Delta still gives out peanuts. They don't have them on every flight, but they usually have at least 2/3 of their snack options on each flight (cookies, peanuts, pretzels).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel