Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:19 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Thank you so much for the kind wishes.

I'm just beyond embarrassed and slightly traumatized at this point. I am unable to leave my hotel to enjoy doing anything. I just feel so stupid I let this happen, and when I called my mother for help she basically said I brought this on myself.

Well at least the wine is cheap here...I went to the market a few blocks away so I am coping with alcohol at the moment
Absolutely no need to be embarrassed. The powers-that-be should be embarrassed that they allow this sort of stuff to keep happening.

Good thinking ahead, to have copies of your passport.

And, gee, mom! Way to be supportive! NOT! Tsk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:22 PM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
I'm sorry you lost your wallet - we all have those "stupid tax" moments in life. It is unfortunate that yours happened during your first international trip, but it can happen just as easily at home or while traveling within the US (just think about the number of brand new smart phones that are lost/destroyed on roller coasters every year). It sounds like you are learning from this experience, which is great. I'm also glad to see that you aren't letting one bad experience sour you on travel forever. Overall, Paris is probably one of the better places in the world to learn a hard lesson about travel safety/security - much better than losing everything in a small town with no embassy/consulate.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I'm so sorry! I was hoping you would be having the time of your life.

Maybe you are home now. This will become a story you tell over and over. I am very glad you had copies of all your documents.

This has been going on forever. My first trip to Paris was in the late 60's and the same thing happened to one of my traveling companions. Most likely in the metro.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:22 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I am so pleased that you are now able to get home, and very pleased that you got out to enjoy the city.

Very best wishes to you and I hope that you return home safe and well.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Do not go out with your personal documents. Leave them in the safe in your room. Make several copies of your passport. I had 5 color copies made; I had one in my coat, one in my purse, one in my suitcase, one with a friend and one in my room. I also had a picture of it on my phone and emailed it to myself. I made the mistake of leaving the hotel in a rush and deciding "I'll put everything away in the safe when I get back." Thus everything was in my wallet. Definitely leave the passport in your safe. And maybe some cash in the safe too? If you have more than 1 card just take one out with you.

Ask yourself this; if all your cards and cash was stolen (ALL of it), what would you do? Do you have your card numbers, expiration dates, etc. memorized? What is your plan to get money if that happens? Think that way and plan accordingly. If I would have thought that way, I would have made copies of my card information and taken a picture of it with my phone. That way I could wire money to myself using one of my cards really quick before cancelling it. But what if all of that stuff AND your cell phone is stolen? Maybe this is info you should leave with a family member or someone you trust just in case. Western Union has a service where you can wire money to yourself in advance of a trip, so you can pick it (or not) if need be. Of course you now these types of services cost money, but think about it as being 'insurance' in case of an emergency.

I think just bring a little cash and 1 credit card with you and leave the rest in your room. If you are a female carry a messenger bag or purse that straps around your body; not a shoulder bag or satchel. Make sure it zips and is not an open bag. Keep some cash in your bra, sock or several places on your body like that.

That's my 0.02...others may say different or have better advice.
Great suggestions....I would also add to invest in a PacSafe bag or even a Baggallini with an interior attached and zipped money purse. The PacSafe's have secure/locking zippers and cut-proof straps, along with several other safeguards. I sometimes carry them and sometimes carry the Baggallinis. But I ALWAYS carry a cross-body in front of my body and I NEVER EVER take it off unless I'm in my hotel room. I will sit at cafes with it on my body.

I'm just glad you ended up making the best of it and had some good times, despite the headache. And don't feel bad about being pickpocketed...I know a PhD at The University of Texas who is extremely well traveled all over the world who got pickpocketed last year in Portugal. It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel