Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,738,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Here's a random tip: Most cafes will have unset tables and ones that are set for people having food. if you go to a cafe and intend to just have coffee, don't sit at a table that is set with silverware.

Nice to know....thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 11:27 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Out of the places mentioned above:
I don't recommend Eiffel Tower. I think it sucks. I'd definitely avoid that.

Montmartre is...honestly Idk what's so good about it. Sacre Coeur is indeed gorgeous, though.

Opera Garnier is worth visiting. I wouldn't put it on the top of my list though.

Champs Elysees is just a street imo, not a fan.

Pere Lachaise Cemetery is quite pretty, and a lot less touristy.

Ste. Chapelle was under restoration when I was in Paris in July. Idk if it's up now.

Notre Dame is alright. St Sulpice is miles better imo. I'd recommend the latter.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:39 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,730 times
When we were there I enjoyed simply walking the river and looking and listening to the city. Plenty of vendors along the river areas (in springtime anyway) where you could buy a token garment or something as a keepsake. The advice regarding the Eiffel Tower is best to go see and take pictures with the fountains, then continue. Going up is less beneficial than the time will be worth.

One suggestion for your day trip on Saturday is The Mémorial de Caen Museum which is easily tied to a quick trip to the landing beaches and cemetery at Normandy.
D-day museums and war cemeteries - Landing beaches, WW2 Memorials - Omaha, Utah, Arromanches, Caen - Normandy Tourism, France

Old 11-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
St Sulpice is miles better imo. I'd recommend the latter.
This place looks gorgeous; I will add it to the list. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM

382 posts, read 721,578 times
I really loved my visit to Paris with my wife. Generally speaking, I found that Parisians, contrary to stereotype, were generally helpful. But the way in which they help is a bit different from in the States: they aren't as smiley or as animated with strangers as we are. But even if you don't speak French, it helps greatly, I think, if you at least try to speak the language.

We really enjoyed just wandering in the general direction of the sights and stumbling onto cute cafes, shops and restaurants. For example, we stopped in this place (Le Kleber : Qui sommes-nous?) as we were making our way towards the Eiffel Tower. It isn't a Michelin star restaurant, but the food was tasty, and they had a prix fixe "tourist menu" (surprisingly reasonably-priced) which made ordering simple. There are hundreds of places like this, waiting to be discovered.

Besides the tourist hot spots, many areas, like the Marais, are fun to simply wander around.

In any case, Bon Voyage!

Old 11-12-2014, 12:13 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
I find the daytime views from the top of Notre Dame magical but the lines can be long to get up there.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Skip the Crazy Horse. The flea market at the Bastille is great. I'm still using a bag I bought there years ago.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Skip the Crazy Horse. The flea market at the Bastille is great. I'm still using a bag I bought there years ago.
Ok; I'll skip it

Was just trying to find something bar-like, or club-like...something nightlife related I could after hours.

The Bastille flea market appears to be a MUST; it's a great recommendation and definitely etched in stone on my list for Sunday (wish I could go on Thursday too!).

Old 11-12-2014, 12:26 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,283 times
On my first trip, I had one evening in Paris; I took the subway to Notre Dame, explored the cathedral, then walked along the Seine to the Eiffel Tower. It was a beautiful introduction to part of Paris.

On my second trip, I spent one day at the Louvre (and wish I had a lot more time!). I also enjoyed the Musee' d'Orsay (much smaller venue).

Versailles is WELL WORTH the day trip, but, agian, I wish I had had a lot more time there than a single day.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,995 times
Get the Paris Museum Pass. It comes in 2/4/6 day versions. It's not cheap but it gives you free entry to up to 60 museums and the best advantage of all, it allows you to completely skip the queues. That's right. See the long lines for the Lourve? Ignore it and follow the signs for the special entrances for the Paris Museum Pass. Wave it at the guard and you're in. We always get the museum pass and I'm always amazed at the sheer number of people who don't bother getting it and complain about being stuck in lines for a long time.

Versailles is included in the museum pass, as is St. Chappelle. St. Chappelle is probably our favorite sight in Paris. It's a breathtaking jewel box of medieval architecture and in a very central location next to Notre Dame.

If you like ice cream, check out Berthillon ice cream shop on the Ile St. Louis island in the middle of the river. One of the best ice cream vendors in the world. They also have a few other locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Wow, thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions so far. So much to see and so little time.

To the poster who inquired about museums; I am interested as long as the wait is not long or the museum is too packed. I did plan to go inside of the Rodin but wasn't sure if I could fit in any other museums with my schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel