Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We spent a week in WA wine country in 2013. It was wonderful and no crowds. I still prefer Napa cabs, but found a lot in WA that we like. I'm not much into Merlot, but we found a lot of full bodied Merlot in WA that was very good.
Leonetti and Long Shadows both make good full bodied merlot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Bringing this to the top again. Some great suggestions! I am going with some friends on a girls weekend, and it seems the smaller wineries have a limit of six for a wine tasting.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! We would like to do a wine tour/food pairing. We will probably spend two days in Napa, it is my first time, so I am a complete novice on how this works.

How many wineries would you recommend doing Saturday and Sunday?

We are looking for a great experience, cost isn't too much of an issue (nothing outrageous) The most expensive I saw was $80/pp which is fine.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Bringing this to the top again. Some great suggestions! I am going with some friends on a girls weekend, and it seems the smaller wineries have a limit of six for a wine tasting.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! We would like to do a wine tour/food pairing. We will probably spend two days in Napa, it is my first time, so I am a complete novice on how this works.

We are looking for a great experience, cost isn't too much of an issue (nothing outrageous) The most expensive I saw was $80/pp which is fine.

How many in your party?

I would not visit more than 3-4 per day. You end up with palate fatigue, and once that happens the only thing that will fix it is time and a meal. That's how people end up buying wine that they get home and don't like--because their palate didn't taste it properly.

When are you going?

Very few offer food pairings due to the restrictions on their permit. None will give an actual meal, some you can get maybe a charcuterie plate or small bites paired with the wines.

Anyhow, I could offer lot's on ideas, but need more info.

Also, are you arriving on Friday, or are you getting there Saturday and leaving Sunday?

PS--Most Napa Valley hotels will not accept a Saturday only reservation.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:02 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
We need more info to make recommendations. Here are some questions;

1. Why Napa? and not Sonoma?
2. What wines do you like?
3. What is your level of expertise?
4. Where are you staying?
5. Are you interested in wineries with caves, art, gardens, etc?
6. How about a picnic lunch? Many have picnic areas.
7. Are you interested in winery tours that help you learn more about the wine making process or just tasting wine?

Some quick comments; Napa is very crowded on weekends and highway 29 is a nightmare, so make your appointments as soon as possible. There are several hundred wineries in Napa and Sonoma so you have lots of choices. I always tell people to get a wine country bus tour brochure and avoid every winery on their list unless you like crowds.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 598 times
Default napa Sonoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

I would start with a bubbles !! Either Domain Carneroes , Domain Chandon , Mum, or Schramsberg .. And go from there , try to book one cave tour at a Winerey , and tastings at 2 more .. That's a full day .... I highly recommend a driver.. A limo service or a driver for your car.. Area is heavily patrolled ... I drive for a company called Bemydd ... But there are many in the valley ... If you need help with an itinerary .. Send a pm and I can help you with suggestions ....
Brad

Old 05-25-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2putt View Post
I would start with a bubbles !! Either Domain Carneroes , Domain Chandon , Mum, or Schramsberg ..
Why?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2putt View Post
I would start with a bubbles !! Either Domain Carneroes , Domain Chandon , Mum, or Schramsberg .. And go from there , try to book one cave tour at a Winerey , and tastings at 2 more .. That's a full day .... I highly recommend a driver.. A limo service or a driver for your car.. Area is heavily patrolled ... I drive for a company called Bemydd ... But there are many in the valley ... If you need help with an itinerary .. Send a pm and I can help you with suggestions ....
Brad
Oh please. There is no need to book a driver or car service. Share tastings and/or spit.

As far as the four sparkling wine houses, Mumm is not a good tasting experience, Schramsberg is by far the best tour, the other two are hit and miss depending on who is pouring.

I do agree that if you haven't been, seeing a cave is interesting, but with a very, very few exceptions (Schramsberg being one) they are all the same. Here's a hint--they all make wine the same. The only ones that do things a bit different don't welcome the public, so unless you are ITB or active on a list, you're not getting in.

Also keep in mind that the bigger the caves, the more luxurious the winery, the larger the art collection, the bigger the mark up on the wine is. I'd rather taste fantastic wine at a great price with the winemaker/owner standing at a piece of wood laid across a couple old barrels than some overpriced crap poured by a $10 an hour employee of a winery whose owner flies around in a Lear Jet and knows nothing about making wine except what they pay their consulting winemaker.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
We need more info to make recommendations. Here are some questions;

1. Why Napa? and not Sonoma?
2. What wines do you like?
3. What is your level of expertise?
4. Where are you staying?
5. Are you interested in wineries with caves, art, gardens, etc?
6. How about a picnic lunch? Many have picnic areas.
7. Are you interested in winery tours that help you learn more about the wine making process or just tasting wine?

Some quick comments; Napa is very crowded on weekends and highway 29 is a nightmare, so make your appointments as soon as possible. There are several hundred wineries in Napa and Sonoma so you have lots of choices. I always tell people to get a wine country bus tour brochure and avoid every winery on their list unless you like crowds.
Actually very few Napa wineries have picnic areas due to their use permits. Ridge in Sonoma allows people to bring lunch and has a nice patio to sit on while you taste. They are arguably the best winery in Sonoma County, and their tasting fees remain very reasonable.

Also there are thousands of wineries between the Napa and Sonoma AVA's.

If you can get an appointment, Shafer does a nice job with their tour and the processes they use from viticulture to bottling.

If you want something a little different, Phelps does two seminars, one is a blending seminar and the other is a Les Nez seminar which teaches you how to identify the aromas in wines.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually very few Napa wineries have picnic areas due to their use permits.
I can list 30 Napa wineries with a picnic area quite easily. Probably more with a little research. And at least another 20 in Sonoma. I've been to quite a few of them.

Quote:
Ridge in Sonoma allows people to bring lunch and has a nice patio to sit on while you taste. They are arguably the best winery in Sonoma County, and their tasting fees remain very reasonable.
I like Ridge, but they are nowhere near the "best winery in Sonoma County".

Old 05-27-2015, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I can list 30 Napa wineries with a picnic area quite easily. Probably more with a little research. And at least another 20 in Sonoma. I've been to quite a few of them.
Please list the 30 Napa wineries with a picnic area open to all and not just list members.

Quote:
I like Ridge, but they are nowhere near the "best winery in Sonoma County".
As I said, arguably. I would love to hear your thoughts on the best in Sonoma that are open to the public with or without an appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel