Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Howell Mountain frequently- are you familiar with that area?
^^^
No I'm not familiar with the Howell Mtn...

Grgich Hills Estate – Napa Valley Winery

I like the idea of “organic”……. I didn’t know they did a name change back in 2006 until I read this.

Grgich Hills Estate (formerly Grgich Hills Cellar) is a winery located in Rutherford, California in the heart of the Napa Valley. The winery changed its name in 2006 when it first began producing only "estate grown" wines made from grapes grown exclusively in vineyards owned by the winery. The Napa Valley Wine Train has a passenger stop located at Grgich Hills Estate. Grgich Hills' vineyards are certified organic and biodynamic and it converted to solar energy in 2006

Grgich Hills Estate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rutherford location reminded me about the wonderful restaurant there in the area. I was told that all the “locals” (for what that’s worth) go there to eat. The food was unbelievable! It did require a short waiting time to get inside so you might think about reservations if they take them. Otherwise you could go before or after the rush hour. It was called the Rutherford Grill.
Rutherford Grill info

As you can see "I'm into great foods more than the wines",,, lol however they always go hand-in-hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 01:59 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,816 times
They do go hand-in-hand! We have been to Rutherford Grill and enjoyed it very much.
Hopefully some of my wine friends who were outcast from winecountry.com will tune in and tell you about Howell Mountain. It is a favorite area of Napa for several of them.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:30 PM

13 posts, read 12,044 times
Hi BusyDesk,

I am one of the refugees from the WineCountry.com Message Board. They just seem to have cut us off completely and no longer offer the Board since re-vamping their website.

For those of you on this forum that don't know me, I am a retired medical school administrator. We have been traveling to Napa/Sonoma since the mid 80s, anywhere from one to four times each year. We enjoy the area, the wineries and the food (although I do not consider us foodies). I would just as soon have a Gott's than the French Laundry and spend the money on wine.

Our tastes run toward the reds, bold Cabs and Zins. We are partial to Howell Mountain Cabs but like many of the others. For Zins, we need to travel to the Dry Creek area around Healdsburg and are particularly fond of Rockpile Zins of Mauritson. We are club members at Harris (Calistoga), O'Shaughnessy and Haber on Howell Mountain and J. Gregory of the Coombsvile appellation.

I am presently planning our itinerary for spring 2015. We will have four whole days and two one-half days of tastings. I normally try to plan one tasting in the morning, then a leisurely lunch and two tastings in the afternoon. I used to try to do more each day in our early years but our palates gave out about mid afternoon.

I enjoy finding the small,family owned, possibly a single varietal winery. At this point in my planning, I only have one winery on the list that we have visited before. However, friends that travel with us have never visited it. Even though my taste runs toward the reds, they make a great Chardonnay.

In March, a friend sent me the list of Wine Spectator's 100 best wines. I was looking through the list and cam across a little known winery that made a Cab. I was astounded when I saw that the price was $35.00/bottle. I normally don't purchase anything I have not tasted, but could not pass this up so I ordered 3 bottles and put it in the cooler. A couple weeks ago, we went out to dinner and took a bottle and we were blown away. A $35.00 bottle of wine that could easily pass for a $100.00 bottle. I immediately called and ordered a case, although I do not have the space to store it properly so I guess we will just have to drink it. In the past, I used to say that Bennett Lane had the best $35.00 bottle of wine in the valley, their Maximus. I can no longer say that but it is the second best.

Now you know a little about me and where I am coming from. If I can be of any help to anyone, please let me know. But remember, wine is a pretty personal thing and your palate may not match mine.

Life is very, very good.

-Hawkeye

Old 11-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Hi AksarbeN,

I will bet you are from Nebraska or at least a Cornhusker fan. We lived in Council Bluffs for several years.

Howell Mountain . . . some of the best NV Cabs come from HM. You couldn't go wrong with O'Shaughnessy, Spence, Haber, Outpost, Black Sears, Ladera, Burgess and several others. They offer big, bold Cabs.

Rutherford Grill is actually a part of the Houston Restaurant chain. I understand when they were building it the Valley would not let them use the name of a chain so they called it RG. I am very partial to their BBQ ribs and corn bread. I don't believe they charge a corkage fee either.

Mike Grgich was the wine maker at Chatteau Montelena when the won the award for the best Chardonnay at the 1976 Paris tasting. If you haven't, you might want to watch the movie, "Bottle Sock" which is a very loose version of that tasting. They take a lot of liberties, but it is still good. Many of the Valley wineries are now organically certified.

-Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^
No I'm not familiar with the Howell Mtn...

Grgich Hills Estate – Napa Valley Winery

I like the idea of “organic”……. I didn’t know they did a name change back in 2006 until I read this.

Grgich Hills Estate (formerly Grgich Hills Cellar) is a winery located in Rutherford, California in the heart of the Napa Valley. The winery changed its name in 2006 when it first began producing only "estate grown" wines made from grapes grown exclusively in vineyards owned by the winery. The Napa Valley Wine Train has a passenger stop located at Grgich Hills Estate. Grgich Hills' vineyards are certified organic and biodynamic and it converted to solar energy in 2006

Grgich Hills Estate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rutherford location reminded me about the wonderful restaurant there in the area. I was told that all the “locals” (for what that’s worth) go there to eat. The food was unbelievable! It did require a short waiting time to get inside so you might think about reservations if they take them. Otherwise you could go before or after the rush hour. It was called the Rutherford Grill.
Rutherford Grill info

As you can see "I'm into great foods more than the wines",,, lol however they always go hand-in-hand.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:50 PM

BusyDesk,

Gustavo Brambila was an employee at Chatteau Montelena back when Mike Grgich was the winemaker and their Chardonnay won the Paris Tasting in 1976 (I believe the vintage of the Chard was 1993).You can learn a little more about him if you would watch the movie, Bottle Shock. He now has his own winery Gustavo-Thrace with a tasting room in downtown Napa. Nice, unassuming individual.

-Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
annerk,
I would like to know of this Gustavo Brambila....somehow I think I may have heard that name before, but not sure where. Barbera is one of my favorite varietals...up there with Grenache and old-vine zinfandel.
It sounds as though your palate is far more sophisticated than mine, but I hope you won't hold that against me! One of the things I like most about wine forums is the opportunity for learning, so I am always happy to find folks who have something to teach me.
You seem to have extensive knowledge of the wine industry...are you a sommelier?

We have enjoyed wineries in several states now, but Arizona hasn't come up yet. Virginia, Oregon, Washington, Ohio and North Carolina so far....and our son has visited some in the Finger Lakes that offer wines we enjoyed with him.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:59 PM

Hi Busy,

Helen Turley is a consultant and winemaker around Napa Valley. In the past, she put out some exquisite Zins, many coming from the Hayne Vineyard in St. Helena now producing their own Zins under the label Case Family Vineyards.

-Hawkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
I don't believe I have ever had a Turley Zin. And I thought that was a Napa name.
We have had some very nice GSM from Washington. I think the winery name of our favorite was Cerulean; we were attending a Food and Wine event in Portland when we had it, and I lost their card somewhere among the 3000 other guests.... that said, We also enjoy Hodges, and I have heard that they also make a White version but have yet to see it anywhere.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:23 PM

YAY!!! Hawkeye I am extremely pleased to see that you found me!!! I am certain that this will be a great place to discuss our trips and trip planning as well as our wines.

I knew that I had read about your experiences with Turley, but I didn't know that she has ties to the Paso Robles area as well.

I knew that the name of Gustavo Bramblia seemed familiar when Annerk mentioned it, but could not place him. You and Annerk have helped me with that...now I need to go read the book about the decision in Paris again...

I noted that you did not mention which $35 wine you purchased as such a wonderful bargain...are you willing to share??
Also, I have been meaning to ask you for some time if you know of Stone Edge Vineyards in Sonoma; I believe that the only wine that they make is a Cab, and though we were not particularly fond of it, it might suit your palate.

I'm sure glad to see you here and I look forward to continuing with our group...its been too much fun for too long to let it go by the wayside....

I would like to ask a general question...what wine (s) are y'all planning to serve for Thanksgiving???

Old 11-23-2014, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,944 times
Default Trip Report, Napa and Sonoma, Nov 2014

Hi all,

I am a refugee from the old winecountry board. I guess the idea is to just make this single topic have a bunch of replies? Here are some short notes from our most recent trip. I originally sent it as an email, so not written like I normally like to write them, but wasn't sure if I would find anyplace to post it....

Just back to Iowa last night from Napa. Another good visit (no surprise). Hit Bourassa and it was great! Nestled in an industrial park was a nice comfy tasting room. Rob served us and was a great guy.They have a two bottle club that we joined. We are in so many, but when we run into a 2 bottle 3-4 times a year we often get suckered in.

We had a bigger group for part of the visit but made it to the following:
Day 1 (afternoon only. 4 people)
Jamieson Ranch (they are right on 12 and open, no appt needed, and we had some time to kill) This place was OK. Nice facility, but just OK wine.
Bourassa- as noted, great find, thanks!
Cuvaison (Carneros) we know the wine and have been to the Calistoga tasting room a couple times. We had a great time sitting outside enjoying the sunset. The Two Estates Merlot was awesome.

Day 2 (4 people)
Silver Oak (they open at 9 which was why I chose it, been there before) We lucked out and a great gal name Kolea helping us. Was a great tasting, and she pulled an extra bottle out. Loved comparing the Alex Valley to the Napa Valley
Regusci We are good friends of Regusci and our trips revolve around their availability. Did some tasting, some touring, just love that place and the people. And the wines are centered in our palette.
Silverado Also good friends of Silverado, and are fortunate to know the winemaker. Had a great time doing some barrel sampling. Couple reserve cabs, tasty. We spent 3 hours here so it ended the day.

Day 3 (8 people)
Back to Regusci with the large group. More standard walk around tour and some barrel tasting
Goosecross Always have fun at the Goose. They are about to move into a trailer as they are building totally new facility. We are members but have them on watch in case the new place isn't as nice.
Girard I ran into a Zin of their's a month ago and it was tasty, so I put this on my list. We went after having a nice lunch from the taco truck in Pancha's parking lot. Nice tasting room, had a couple nice gals waiting on us. Everyone was burnt out so that was it. Hard with a big group sometimes.

Day 4 (5 people)
Hagafen We drive by this every trip and finally stopped. Nice place. Ran into Ernie the owner out collecting eggs from the henhouse. Pretty good wine, good people.
Miner Family Second trip here. Good wines and we have had Jen wait on us both times. Plan to do a tour with her next time.
Dean and Deluca for sandwiches and on to Beringer to eat at the Rhine house. One of the folks with us is a Master Gardner so she had Beringer on the list. Went and bought a standard bottle of cab and damn if it wasn't really good. I have gone with the Knight's Valley beofre, but just grabbed the standard this time and really enjoyed it.
Then it was on north and over to Healdsburg.

Day 5 (5 people)
Mauritsons also on my list since so many on the board yapped about Rockpile Zin. tasty stuff. Really enjoyed ourselves there for an hour until our next appt. and got to taste a couple Rockpiles, taking one home with us.

Dry Creek Vineyard. we have been members for the last several years and always have fun tasting. Had Ian again as our guy and enjoy talking to him about wine and gardening.
Grabbed sandwiches from Dry Creek General Store, went at ate at Truett Hurst. I had a glass of the Rattler Zin. We did not taste, but have before. The Rattler is a high quality zin.

That is a quick summary for you. Thanks for the Bourassa recommendation. Was a blast.

Oh, ended up not being able to get into Biale after our size swelled. But our next shipment is at UPS right now so Black Chicken in the house.

Normally on trips I have a lot more food reports as well. However, since we had a larger group, we decided to not focus on food at all. Had a Sonic dinner (ate at the hotel with several bottles of grape, so it was great) one night, Healdsburg Bar and Grill another. And of course the taco truck twice.

We also hit a couple breweries and did some beer sampling.

Next trip likely in January and will only be the two of us.

Ok, those are my notes from our recent trip.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,421 times
Hello everyone,

I'm also a refuge from the winecountry.com board. I prefer red wines -- mostly bordeaux, napa cabs, California zins and rhone varietals (france and California Central Coast). My wife and I usually visit Napa once a year and I and a group of guys have a big annual wine trip that we've been doing for a number of years now.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:24 PM

Hello Friends, new and old. So glad to hear from my fellow outcasts!

Silverado, I did not know that it was possible to buy Mauritson Rockpile Zins unless one is a club member. When we last visited, Mrs. Mauritson told me that all Rockpiles were under 'allocation only' status and not available for tastings, so you must have talked REALLY nice to somebody.
As for format, well, we can play that by ear I guess. If y'all want to start new threads to accommodate your needs, that works for me; it may be easier since these threads tend to expand rather fast and conversations may get lost.

Richard, glad to see you and hope that you will talk through your itinerary when the time comes.

Welcome all!! Thanks for joining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel