Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 01:16 PM

64 posts, read 208,412 times

Advertisements

So basically I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon with 253,000 miles that I don't feel comfortable driving. I am trying to decide whether to trade it in for a new used vehicle here and drive it OR sell it here and fly out there and then buy a vehicle out in Southern California. I am moving out to Loma Linda, CA (East of Ontario).

If I do decide to drive...what's the best route? It would be roughly in a week or two. It's about a 26-27 hour trip, 1800 miles. I figure I could drive 600 miles a day and break it into 3 days. 2 nights of a hotel?

Or would it be a bad idea to drive this time of year? I would be extremely nervous already, lol. I don't like the idea of buying a vehicle out in California but also hesitant to drive.

I know my girlfriend drove the obvious route of I-40 West which basically takes you straight out there. But I have heard some recent stories of a guy who just drove out that way and got stuck in snowstorms in Albuquerque, NM and towards Flagstaff, AZ.

So would a better idea be to travel 40 West, to 30 West to 20 West and then 10 West? This is a little further south route and adds about an hour. It would go through Dallas and Abilene but then borders Mexico and then would go through Tucson and Phoenix. Would this be a safer route though from a weather and just safety perspective? It seems like it would be deserted and I would have no place to stay at night...

Nervous and not knowing what to do lol. Could really use all your guys' help. Thanks!

Last edited by jagsfan05; 11-25-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 01:26 PM

4,289 posts, read 3,987,506 times
Interesting post you go that far to buy a vehicle ? Amazing good luck! Do you know something called TOM TOM or navigation or Google maps or something that would bring you all over the place.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Interesting post you go that far to buy a vehicle ? Amazing good luck! Do you know something called TOM TOM or navigation or Google maps or something that would bring you all over the place.
No, I'm not going there for a vehicle. I'm moving. I'm asking whether I should sell my vehicle and buy another used one here in Memphis and drive it before I go....or whether I should just fly and buy one out there..

Old 11-25-2014, 03:31 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,538,031 times
I did it in December one year and took 40 straight across. I did hit some snow in Texas but nothing too bad. Of course, that could be very different at any time.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
I input the directions backward but you get the idea of the most direct route.
http://goo.gl/maps/xqXgJ

Old 11-26-2014, 12:19 PM

Thanks guys, anyone else?

Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,473,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan05 View Post
Thanks guys, anyone else?
Watch the weather.
That's the ONLY reason to NOT use I40

Old 11-27-2014, 04:41 PM

5,654 posts, read 11,209,023 times
I agree w. MrRational. If the forecast is dry for a 3 day period in the southwestern part of the US, I-40 hands down is the best route.

Check the weather reports each day along the route to make sure it hasn't changed. 3 days, 2 nights is a reasonable schedule for the trip. If the forecast changes and a snowstorm is predicted in the upper elevations of the southwest, head south to I-20 (if you are east of Dallas) or I-10 if you are further west.

Either I-40 or I-10/I-20 go through huge, desolate expanses of terrain in the southwest. Don't worry, you will always be in the company of other cars and trucks because these are two of the most popular routes across the southern half of the US. There are gas stations, stores and countless hotels / motels at small cities and towns at regular intervals along either route, so don't worry about it. Just pick a few logical places to stop along the way, such as around Oklahoma City and then around Gallup, NM. That will leave you with three equal distance days of driving along the way.

If your Toyota Avalon is in good running order, no use in buying a new car. 250K miles does not mean the car is ready for the junk yard if it runs good and has been maintained properly.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:11 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,636,917 times
I've done this 3 times - but only once in winter. 40 is by far the best route - unfortunately the last time I did this was right after Christmas 2012 and there was heavy snow in Arkansas. I didn't have time to wait so had to detour from Memphis down to I-10. If weather is good - go 40. If you can, plan your trip around a good forecast - I wasn't able to do that this last time.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 PM

7,341 posts, read 12,564,225 times
If I were you I'd buy a new car in SoCal; cars are in better shape out here. But if you choose to drive out here, don't worry about going I-10. It is a desert road, but it is not "deserted," it is the main artery between Phoenix and Los Angeles, and there are truck stops and hotels at regular intervals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel