Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:29 PM

925 posts, read 4,712,226 times

Advertisements

I am interested in going on a cruise with my kids (2 and 4 years old) during Spring Break (March 9 - 14) 2015.

What precautions do I need to take with the kids (seasickness medicine etc)?

Is the cruise really crowded due to spring break?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:17 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,780 times
1. It's much much cheaper to go any other week besides spring break. And by the ages of your children, they're not enrolled in school yet so I would take advantage of the cost savings. The ships are not necessarily less crowded, but there will be less kids on board. If there's an activity your kids want to do, there's not as much competition for it.

2. My kids have been on a plane, ship, train, and car and have been perfectly fine but it never hurts to bring along all the medications in case they come down with something.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:00 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
I just did that this year .... let me see if I remember
- If you go on Spring Break, the cruise will be full of families with kids
- Be prepared to not wash your clothes for a while unless you pay the cruise line (I heard is expensive) or you can take some detergent and wash some clothes in the bathroom sink.
- Take empty bottles so you can get drinks. You can get water/lemonade/tea in the cafeteria, but I believe you have to pay about $20 for a big glass to be used for soda. You could also take Kool-Aid with you.
- You are gonna be in a small room (more likely than not) Try to take several bags so it's easier to get organized in your room.
- Take a small extension cord and surge protector if you have to charge several things. I think we only had one receptacle in our room.
- First day getting on the cruise ship and last day getting off can take a really long time because there's 1000s of people getting on/off. Try to have something to keep your kids entertained.

This advice is from personal experience:
Careful with your phone in the swimming area
I forgot that I had mine on me and went in the swimming pool and ruined it.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:22 AM

925 posts, read 4,712,226 times
My 4 year old goes to a school and that is why spring break is our only option.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
My 4 year old goes to a school and that is why spring break is our only option.
At this age, there is no reason you cannot take them out of school for a short vacation. It's preK, not high school.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:06 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,243,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
At this age, there is no reason you cannot take them out of school for a short vacation. It's preK, not high school.
True, I don't think taking them out 'counts' until Kindergarten.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:19 PM

676 posts, read 932,768 times
Put your phone on Airplane mode or turn it off while on the boat, otherwise, you will have a lovely surprise from your cell carrier on the next bill. Using them on ships is a huge ripoff, worse than charges from using it in other countries.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,352 times
What cruise line are you planning on going on? I'm a fan of Royal Caribbean.

-Bring an outfit for every day and also a dressy outfit for dinner (depends on the cruise line)
-Extra underwear
-Fever reducer, pain medication, etc.
-Garbage bag (or laundry bag) to store your dirty clothes
-Bottled water (to drink & brush teeth)
-Insulted metal water bottle
-Snacks
-Seasickness remedies (Seaband, Dramamine, or Transderm Scop)
-Chargers for electronics
-Travel-sized hand sanitizer
-Air freshener (for when someone makes a poop)
-Lots of people like the vacation vault
-Surge protected power cord (some cruise lines don't allow them & will confiscate them)
-Sharpie, pens, post-it (Idk why, I just think it's helpful)
-Small umbrella or rain jacket

Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 PM

914 posts, read 1,834,531 times
We went on the Disney Cruise to the Western Carribean on spring break several years ago. The line sailed out of Galveston then but you may have to go to Florida or California now to catch the cruises. Disney, being Disney, did everything first class. There were lots of activities/babysitting options for little kids. A 4 year old would be in heaven. It was crowded, but we had a great time. We took dramamine with us but did not get sea sick. You get used to the motion of the boat pretty quickly. We had heard that the internet and phone charges were very expensive. We "unplugged" for a few days and loved it.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 AM

203 posts, read 337,621 times
For a family cruise, go with Carnival if you're sailing out of Galveston. They have the most activities for everyone.

And YES...it will be crowded mainly with families and a few drunks...hahaha.

As far as sea sickness, take a few Advils and that's it. The only way you will get sick is by hangovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel