Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:56 PM

116 posts, read 232,736 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have already booked a flight to study abroad in Spain for 4 weeks in June 2015. I haven't done a lot of traveling at all in my lifetime and I'm trying to anticipate what all I will need. I know it's still a long way off, but can anyone give me any advice about how much spending money I will need to bring? I will be in Cadiz, Spain. The program includes the weekend trips, homestay with 3 meals a day plus laundry every week, class materials, etc. I want a ballpark figure so that I can start saving up my money from work. Also, since this will be my first time flying and traveling internationally, feel free to throw in any other tips that I may need to know .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:44 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times
Whenever I have budgeted in the past I have noticed I tend to spend around 50% more than I originally budget, on average. I see a lot of people on this forum talk about budgeting extremely low amounts on study abroad trips. My advice? Don't shoot yourself in the foot by limiting your budget. Try to have some fun

Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
I don't know what the ATM situation is like, figure that one out.

4 Weeks. Lodging is taken care of and so is food, but it would be a crime not to try some of the local restaurants in Spain.

Maybe $4000? $1000 a week. That might be a little high but it leaves room for emergencies, and you don't have to spend every penny you bring.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post

4 Weeks. Lodging is taken care of and so is food, but it would be a crime not to try some of the local restaurants in Spain.

Maybe $4000? $1000 a week.
I disagree. He should budget at least $10,000

per week

Old 12-06-2014, 05:07 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
I too think the OP should check out the local ATM situation and then draw out local currency from his American bank account accordingly.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:17 AM

116 posts, read 232,736 times
Quote:

Maybe $4000? $1000 a week. That might be a little high but it leaves room for emergencies, and you don't have to spend every penny you bring.

Thank you Madalorian for the ballpark figure as that was my main concern. I will look into the ATM situation thanks for mentioning that also. I'm a girl by the way sorry I should've mentioned that.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
Why don't you check with the school?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
ATM in 100-200 euro amounts is generally the way to go- that amount generally puts you at enough but not too much cash in your pocket. Let your bank & credit card issuer know beforehand you're going overseas so they don't freeze your account for irregularities. Also if a bank or merchant offers you something called' dynamic currency conversion' as an option, tell them you don't want it- it usually gives you a slightly worse exchange rate that way.

At the least, your handbag should have a zipper top & zip pocket for money and important documents storage and a strap long enough to carry it cross-body. (I don't bother with money belts and the like but know others prefer them in a country like Spain that does have a pickpocket problem in some areas.)

Old 12-06-2014, 01:11 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,257 times
I second (or third, or fourth, whatever) the ATM idea. Make sure your ATM card has the kind of 4-digit PIN that European ATM's require. And as mentioned above, let your bank and credit card issuer(s) know before you go that you will be traveling overseas.

I DO use a money belt. In my purse (cross-body is best, if you carry a purse at all) I'll have only enough cash for one day's needs. The rest of my cash, plus my credit cards and ATM card, plus a photocopy of the signature page of my passport, go into the money belt. The money belt should never be accessed in a public place -- the idea is that no one should know you're wearing it. If you need to access it, go into a rest room stall.

The passport itself stays in a safe or a locked suitcase in my room.

I've traveled many times using these precautions with no difficulties. My husband always refused to use a money belt, and he was the victim of a pickpocket, but that was in Chicago.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:45 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,630 times
LOL my parents told me I could either go study in my room or at the library for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel