Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided that for our Valentine's Vacation - we're doing something different. We're not going to plan anything.

Each year, we've made plans to do x, y, and z. However, because we're expecting x, y, and z - we get disappointed and end up doing "whatever". And we usually have a lot more fun getting lost and romping around together.

So, we've decided that when we leave - we're not going to plan anything. We're just going to head West and hit a few key cities.

Anybody else do this, or am I alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Well, sort of.
I always plan *something* but we are always flexible--we've been known to change our minds, and change our destinations.
I agree that getting lost can be the most fun part, as long as it's not a blizzard or something like that.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 PM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,764 times
Many of my favorite trips have been "lets get in the car, throw in a bag, and see where we end up". But there can be drawbacks too, like one time we went up the coast heading for Big Sur and every hotel was full because of a marathon or something going on. So, you gotta be ready for good and bad. Valentine's could be one of those times when everything is full... take a sleeping bag in the car! LOL

Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,299 times
Default Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
My husband and I have decided that for our Valentine's Vacation - we're doing something different. We're not going to plan anything.

Each year, we've made plans to do x, y, and z. However, because we're expecting x, y, and z - we get disappointed and end up doing "whatever". And we usually have a lot more fun getting lost and romping around together.

So, we've decided that when we leave - we're not going to plan anything. We're just going to head West and hit a few key cities.

Anybody else do this, or am I alone?
I have done this route before and I have found nothing but frustration and spending most of the vacation getting somewhere and not seeing very much.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
yes, about 5 years ago. Due to my rotating work schedule I had 7 days in a row off the end of January and it was very cold in Minnesota.

We decided to get in the car and drive straight south to experience a little bit warmer weather. That took us through Branson MO ( just a drive through) and a very scenic route throug Arkansas , When we looked at the map, we decided Hot Springs would be the end.
We did not know that the next day was the opening of the horse racing track and it was their anniversary with a lot of promotion. We went for the first time in our lives and enjoyed it. We also found out about the mineral baths and toured that.

After 2 days, the weather forecast stated a storm was moving in across the midwest in two days--------so we left for home so we could "meander" a little and still beat the storm.

Looking back, that "spontaneous" quick "road trip" ranks high in our memories.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:17 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Let me tell you the problem you may run in to doing this. Where to sleep. Whether it is motel, hotels, or even campgrounds, you really need reservations unless you go off-season. Motels book up months ahead of time and even the smallest ones can easily be vacant. We have had two unfortunate occasions where we were traveling and thought we could just get a motel later, and ended up driving into the wee wee hours of the morning to some roach infected motel to sleep a few restless hours before having to get up and out of the room. When we do take vacations, and I am planning months ahead of time, it is not rare for me to find out I cannot stay at this or that motel because they are already booked up during those days. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Let me tell you the problem you may run in to doing this. Where to sleep. Whether it is motel, hotels, or even campgrounds, you really need reservations unless you go off-season. Motels book up months ahead of time and even the smallest ones can easily be vacant. We have had two unfortunate occasions where we were traveling and thought we could just get a motel later, and ended up driving into the wee wee hours of the morning to some roach infected motel to sleep a few restless hours before having to get up and out of the room. When we do take vacations, and I am planning months ahead of time, it is not rare for me to find out I cannot stay at this or that motel because they are already booked up during those days. Just a thought to keep in mind.
After some fun with having to get a shady motel in Greenville, SC - (my mom wanted Sonny's BBQ randomly) we decided that it's more fun to stay in roach-moaches.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,636 times
I've done a lot of traveling this way. It is our prefered method. If one place doesn't live up to your expectations, you can leave and move on. On the other hand, if a place is wonderful, you can stay longer than you originally planned. It has risks though. We've driven for many hours longer than we wanted due to conventions or other things in towns we were hoping to stay in. It also works the other way too. We've gotten many suites (some with jacuzzi's) for super cheap because it was all they had left at the end of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel