Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good points about Internet, but I think most people are connected nowadays at their homes or else otherwise have access to a computer or printer (think library, etc.).

And Greyhound stations aren't always the best, but I'd rather be dropped off at a lit, covered (with many being connected to indoor waiting areas) drop spot than in an abandoned parking lot or on the side of the road/street. Still, those points don't outweighs the competition's prices in my view, so I'll take the parking lot
Agreed about most having access. My mother doesn't use a computer, but now and then when she needs something that requires one, either my brother does it or if it's nothing sensitive (requiring financial or personal info), one of the ladies who volunteers at her ALF will do it for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 06:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good points about Internet, but I think most people are connected nowadays at their homes or else otherwise have access to a computer or printer (think library, etc.).

And Greyhound stations aren't always the best, but I'd rather be dropped off at a lit, covered (with many being connected to indoor waiting areas) drop spot than in an abandoned parking lot or on the side of the road/street. Still, those points don't outweighs the competition's prices in my view, so I'll take the parking lot

As for the internet, that is what I used to think. However, I have been "on the road" for four months, mostly in OH, IL, AZ, and NM. My major source for WiFi has generally been public libraries. I think that in some libraries, they have to dedicate one full time employee dedicated to nothing but answering questions on internet use. These are not difficult questions, but very basic, how do I do this? Also, many people riding the bus do not have the latest smartphone.

As for the stations, I am not sure that I would agree with that - at least not the ones that I have been to. Megabus has chosen some pretty decent places for drop-off, and a couple that are not so hot. I am not the type of person that gets messed with on the street so maybe that is why I have no problems. When other riders see me, they generally congregate around me.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 PM

587 posts, read 915,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Catering to Axe Murderers is a tough business...

My last ride I was seated with 2 ex-cons jumping parole.

Fun times...
One of my favorite bus trips was with two guys who'd just gotten out of jail in Flagstaff!

I've found that Greyhound customer service is better than that in airports, but it's definitely been some time since I've ridden. Some of the stations are quite scary, though-- especially when the bus drops you off in the middle of the night and the station is locked up.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 PM

404 posts, read 434,628 times
I have ridden Greyhound, and am currently visiting Mexico and have had the privilege of taking several buses across the country. There is much catching up Mexico has to do to reach the level of the United States in economic development, but bus service isnt one of them. Mexican buses are excellent and first class. Many lines have a premium service where you get a complimentary snack and a movie, special waiting room and a movie. Plus comfy seats and leg room. Bus stations are more like airports and there is a selection of snack bars and convenience stores at most stations. You are treated like a respected customer rather than cattle on state of the art buses. The USA needs a first world bus system like the regional lines Mexico has. I hope one day one of the Mexico lines buys Greyhound and revamps it.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:33 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.bratton View Post
From their drivers to their station staff. It's unbelievable to me that Greyhound is in the business of moving people! There is something seriously wrong there. Their drivers are paid around $25-30 an hour. They are not underpaid, yet a lot of them seem to hate their jobs. I almost took a driver position there, but turned it down.
I know, some of them are so rude. I don't think it's just a Greyhound thing actually.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,172 times
Default Rudeness and Customer service

I agree with almost everyone in this thread.
No great excuse for bad service nor rudeness, while REASONS may exist.
In travelling in the world in busses, though, it is quite common for BUS drivers to be abrupt, aggressive, which can be mistaken for rude too.

A driver in an AMERICAN bus, is SOLELY (while driving) responsible for travel safety and all behviour of the People on the vehicle. Also they have to keep track of ticket collection,baggage, connectivity concerns if GH and affiliates(not a responsibility of megabus or bolt driver)
This does not happen in Airplanes, TRains, SHopping, Sec of State offices, where multiple people are used to manage groups of people.=

Can you imagine if an airplane pilot had to field all the Complaints, questions, concerns, baggage, of their passengers.

In high density countries, expecially 3rd world countries, where incomes are less, it is common for the bus driver to have 1 to 3 assistants or friends riding with them to handle ticketing, baggage, passenger concerns. BUt ALSO the CONNECTIVITY of busses does not Exist ANYWHERE in the world of the MAGNITUDE of SCALE in distance as in USA GREYHOUND NETWORK.

A driver, and Many employees, or agency workers, may have to deal with a large number or people and bags. If 50 people ask an agent one at a time when will the bus leave, the agent will be handicapped if being polite and honest to the point they could not function.
.....an opposing view to this is :" well then why does not the agent just declare publicly the information for all to digest, saving them and the passengers time and easing their minds??"

USUALLY, it is because they are not certain themselves of the departure or arrival, or other requested info precisely. IMPRECISION is usually held against them severely by some passengers.
IF you are told the bus will be 30 minutes late, then you go to a nearby restaurant and come back to find the bus left only 10 minutes late, would you be mad? If you are told it is on time, but then it comes 40 minutes later will you be mad? what level of precision is needed to satiate?
IN my experience, as rude as drivers, agents can be, they are abused unfairly by passengers/customers much much more than they do back.

ABRUPTNESS is often needed for an Individual to deal with many people in an efficient manner.
ASSERTIVENESS is need sometimes to ensure self interest of few do not interfere with overall experience and/or timeliness.

IF the two above can be done with sugar on the tounge, that is great. That person is a gem if they can do that and are willing to drive that bus.

There are HUGE SYSTEMATIC and logistical issues which prevent that info from being precise.
From the driver not being allowed to make calls while driving, to a bus not being able to leave the last stop EARLY leading to delays, compounded by weather and connection waiting.....
.....the things leading to uncertainty are innumerable, yet very obvious to people like drivers and smart agents. BUT the general travelling public is 50/50 on its understanding of the most basic of mass transit concerns. Self interest of individual people usually slows down everything for all the people.

Internet ticketing also devalues the remaining experienced ticketing agents. SO when you do not use the experts, they become fewer, then you will be left with agents commensurate with your faith in them. No one to blame, just the way all large companies compete centrally with their outlets, franchises, agents of sale/service.

Which brings me to a final point, which is that the service may improve when the general public NEEDS to take the bus. Currently, there is a lot of PEAK travel(holidays spring break)AS private cars dominate, the bus service will suffer and until more regular business is had by busses, the consistency of the experience will vary as much as the ridership.

THANKS FOR NOT FALLING ASLEEP.....

Old 02-23-2015, 10:11 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I only use them once a year or so but I certainly have not noticed any problems with customer service.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
I have ridden Greyhound, and am currently visiting Mexico and have had the privilege of taking several buses across the country. There is much catching up Mexico has to do to reach the level of the United States in economic development, but bus service isnt one of them. Mexican buses are excellent and first class. Many lines have a premium service where you get a complimentary snack and a movie, special waiting room and a movie. Plus comfy seats and leg room. Bus stations are more like airports and there is a selection of snack bars and convenience stores at most stations. You are treated like a respected customer rather than cattle on state of the art buses. The USA needs a first world bus system like the regional lines Mexico has. I hope one day one of the Mexico lines buys Greyhound and revamps it.

If MOST people were taking the bus in the USA, bus service would be a lot better. Perhaps, I should have used "when" instead of "if".

However, for the most part, lower income people take the buses and they get the service that Greyhound wants them to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel