Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:16 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,741,886 times

Advertisements

I just found out this may actually be my first Christmas alone. If so I'm considering using one of the two weeks I'll have off to travel. I'm considering Miami, San Juan and Cancun.

I went to Mia in Oct so I was thinking I should try somewhere new (never been to PR or Mexico). Then again I do like Miami a lot and after my recent pic pocketing experience just 2 weeks ago in Paris, I'm feeling a little inclined to stay closer to home.

With that said I am actually considering bidding on my airfare and using airbnb for the room. Both Cancun and San Juan have lots of airbnb options. I do have to consider what place would be safest since I'll be traveling alone. If I had to pick right now I guess I'd go with Cancun because the water looks gorgeous...and I like mexican food

On the other hand old San Juan looks like a great place to see. If you had a week of during the holiday which of these three would you go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:34 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Well, I live directly on the water in Miami Beach, but I'll be on a Caribbean cruise Christmas Week. Coincidentally, our ship will be in port in Old San Juan on Christmas Day. That said, I don't know that there is anything special about walking around Old San Juan during Christmas. It's mostly just a bunch of shops, bars, and restaurants, although the fort is pretty cool.

Don't get me wrong, I like San Juan (and PR in general). In fact, I was just there a few weeks ago on a different cruise. I've also flown there in the past and stayed for a week in hotels in both the Isla Verde and Condado sections of San Juan. If you've never been there, I'd definitely recommend that you visit there at least once.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:04 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I would say you would enjoy cancun far better because it seems like their are more americans there during the holidays and summer than any other time of the year .good luck wherever you decide to go .

Old 12-16-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, I live directly on the water in Miami Beach, but I'll be on a Caribbean cruise Christmas Week. Coincidentally, our ship will be in port in Old San Juan on Christmas Day. That said, I don't know that there is anything special about walking around Old San Juan during Christmas. It's mostly just a bunch of shops, bars, and restaurants, although the fort is pretty cool.

Don't get me wrong, I like San Juan (and PR in general). In fact, I was just there a few weeks ago on a different cruise. I've also flown there in the past and stayed for a week in hotels in both the Isla Verde and Condado sections of San Juan. If you've never been there, I'd definitely recommend that you visit there at least once.
I definitely plan on it...at some point if not during this holiday...I just wasn't sure if it was worthy of a week there.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would say you would enjoy cancun far better because it seems like their are more americans there during the holidays and summer than any other time of the year .good luck wherever you decide to go .

Hmmm...are you saying I'd enjoy Cancun better because I'd be around more Americans? I'd actually like to be able to venture out 'a little' and eat amongst locals, go dance somewhere that would have a large local population, or something that did not involve mostly Americans. I wouldn't want my entire trip to be confined to all touristy things or to just within the block I'm staying.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:59 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
The more touristy an area is, the more likely stuff is to be open on December 24-25 to cater to the tourists. So I'd go Cancun and hang around the resorts on the holidays proper and set out to less megadevelopment areas on other days.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM

233 posts, read 230,590 times
Another option for you to consider is Playa del Carmen, a short 35 minutes drive from Cancun International. Its 5th avenue (Quinta Avenida) pedestrian strip's night life is fabulous, full of Italians, Brits, Germans, Argentinians, Brazilians, Russians and of course Americans. Check it out.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgator View Post
Another option for you to consider is Playa del Carmen, a short 35 minutes drive from Cancun International. Its 5th avenue (Quinta Avenida) pedestrian strip's night life is fabulous, full of Italians, Brits, Germans, Argentinians, Brazilians, Russians and of course Americans. Check it out.
I am considering playa del Carmen as well.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I am considering playa del Carmen as well.
Given that Christmas is exactly one week away, isn't it time to quit considering your travel choices and actually decide where you want to spend it?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Given that Christmas is exactly one week away, isn't it time to quit considering your travel choices and actually decide where you want to spend it?
I guess...semantics. You could say I've DECIDED I'm going to Cancun or Mia at this point. Which place I end up, I probably won't know until 2 days before. I'm considering bidding on things so booking anything probably won't happen until the day before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel