Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I have been hassled by police at rest areas in New England.
I haven't been "hassled" but have definitely been told that I was nearing the limits of my time on the Mass Pike a couple of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb8251 View Post
My budget is kind of low, since I'm out of work right now. Can you sleep in your car at highway rest areas to save money on hotels?
Use truck stops. There are plenty of people around. Don't take a truck parking place, though. Use a smaller space in the front where cars go.

I'm an ex-trucker so I feel comfortable around the places and blend in with the active truckers. You can blend in too. Just wander around and look at the facilities. You'll find a TV room, laundry, and if you want to take a shower you can buy one at the front desk. Cost about $6 or so unless you buy 100 gallons of fuel

Old 12-22-2014, 09:45 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
It depends how long and where to. There are plenty of hotels on HotWire and Motel 6's which cost under $50 a night.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
$500 - $700 would provide me a 2 month road trip.

1) Free fuel (cooking oil) - or.. appleseed fuel processor Appleseed Processor Kit - Utah Biodiesel Supply
2) Car is almost free... $35 and gets 50 mpg
3) Get my tires at wrecking yards ($5)
4) Eat by getting discarded produce in early morning at grocery
5) Stay in $10 - $20 / night guest homes Usually 1 -2 meals included
6) Camp here Free Campgrounds for RVs
7) or at city parks or fairgrounds in rural states.
8) Use city rec centers for shower. (Or a state park during the day use period)

Many ways to skin the cat.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb8251 View Post
My budget is kind of low, since I'm out of work right now. Can you sleep in your car at highway rest areas to save money on hotels?
Micheal Jordans Dad tried that and did not work so well

Old 12-22-2014, 11:34 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you're enough of an extrovert that the company wouldn't drive you nuts, there's the couchsurfing option:

https://www.couchsurfing.com/

It's the kind of scenario that would drive me nuts, so I supplement my hard cash travel budget with hotel & airline gift cards & points from assorted survey and get-paid-to programs, but it takes time to build up that stash.
Is couchsurfing like AirBnB? Also, try Airbnb.com....

Old 12-22-2014, 04:23 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you're enough of an extrovert that the company wouldn't drive you nuts, there's the couchsurfing option:

https://www.couchsurfing.com/
PLEASE don't coach surf. You don't know what type of people that live in the homes of the places you're going to.

ETA: Instead of waisting money on sitting in a car all day long, why not go to the spa for a day and then a really nice lunch. I'm sure you can find something on Groupon.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
PLEASE don't coach surf. You don't know what type of people that live in the homes of the places you're going to.

ETA: Instead of waisting money on sitting in a car all day long, why not go to the spa for a day and then a really nice lunch. I'm sure you can find something on Groupon.
I've Couchsurfed in 3 countries other than my own, and I've never had anything remotely close to a problem with it. It's those who haven't and don't understand it that are usually the most vocal opponents of it.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
My experiences are a bit different than the others.

I have had problems with people at rest areas. I caught a nap at one on US-395 three hours south of Reno one night and some guy tried to put his fist through my window while I was sleeping. I was driving a boring Avis rental that trip.

I am not real keen on the truck stops either. The real large ones bring out a good number of prostitutes and other problems.

If I had to sleep in my car, I might do Walmart in a suburban area. I might also do a hospital parking lot as generally, someone sleeping in the car is NOT too far out of the ordinary., Also, who goes around hospital parking lots at night besides security.

Has anyone who is not a professional trucker actually taken a shower at a truck stop? I ask because most of the ones that I and my drivers have frequented limit the showers to people buying diesel. On occasion, some of them have taken a shower without a purchase but they are well known at those stops,

Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
You'd be better off looking for the cheapest flight you can get, then grab a cheap hotel in the city.

I'm doing a 4 day trip to Miami and paying 800 dollars... and I am staying in a 4 star hotel and flying first class.

Good deals are always out there to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel