Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:58 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I paid under $400 (was $398 but a ticket change made it $468) to fly from NYC to London via Norwegian Airlines next month
Edit: "(was $398 but a ticket change made it $368)." Whoops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 01:27 PM

13,655 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Maybe it's because we keep our expectations low, but I just don't get what everyone is bitching about.
Complaints are from business-travelers who have been flying for decades on the company tab. We have hundreds of thousands of miles accrued on several different airlines, and well remember flying pre-9/11... in some cases flying in the 1970s or earlier.

But there's no need to dip into the mythological past. As recently as 5-7 years ago, complimentary upgrades for mid-upper tier frequent fliers were the norm, not the exception. 10 or 15 years ago, a 90%-full flight was considered to be inordinately full. Coach seats were never comfortable, but the average adult male who wears a size-42 or 44 suit-jacket could have fit with only minor discomfort.

For the business traveler, the a la carte pricing-model is anathema. We're going to fly regardless of whether the ticket is $300 or $1300, but our employers won't splurge on business-class or "frills" like Economy-Plus or onboard alcohol. I'd much prefer if airlines raised the price of every ticket by $100, but included free food and alcohol, free movies and internet. Raise the price by another $200 and improve the seat-pitch.

And whoever pointed out that today's first-class (on domestic flights) resembles coach-class of 20 years ago, is exactly right. On those occasions when I do get a free upgrade, my elation is short-lived. My weight is under 200 pounds, so I'm not exactly obese. Nor am I a basketball player. And yet my shoulders are the width of a domestic first-class seat.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:56 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Interesting article concerning how airlines bilk passengers into paying all kinds of fees, on top of the basic coach fair. Short answer: make entry-level ticket travel so miserable that people pay up to avoid modern coach and its abominable seats, space, and boarding.
Besides baggage, what fees are you being charged in economy that you wouldn't be charged in an upgraded class? I guess you could count food/bev & a movie, but none of them appeal to me so I'm happy to not pay for them.

I don't enjoy flying either, but like most people I just want to get there as cheap as possible. It's not worth the extra class rate when the overall experience is pretty much the same. If they really want people to upgrade they need to give you something great in 1st class, like a Star Trek transporter or your own apartment.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:13 PM

13,655 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I don't enjoy flying either, but like most people I just want to get there as cheap as possible.
Again, the point is that some people are paying for themselves, while others are using their employers' purses. Employers tend not the be price-sensitive. In times of fiscal austerity, they will simply cancel travel altogether. Discounted tickets won't increase the amount of travel, and rising prices won't diminish it. If you are not paying your own way as a traveler, you'll be prickly and extremely sensitive to the minor indignities, especially if you fly 10-20 (or more) times annually, and have grown to be expectant of better service and more perks. Meanwhile, casual travelers such as tourists aim for the best deals, despite the indignities and inconveniences.

So in essence business-travelers are pissed off at being treated like tourists.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:37 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
For the business traveler, the a la carte pricing-model is anathema. We're going to fly regardless of whether the ticket is $300 or $1300, but our employers won't splurge on business-class or "frills" like Economy-Plus or onboard alcohol. I'd much prefer if airlines raised the price of every ticket by $100, but included free food and alcohol, free movies and internet. Raise the price by another $200 and improve the seat-pitch.
which would hurt the leisure traveler, the small business owner, the self-employed business traveler, etc. etc. etc.

If your employer is a publicly held company, I'm happy to hear they won't splurge on business-class or other "frills" - they are doing the right thing for their stockholders. You want more leg room or a drink on the plane? Pay for it out of your own pocket.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:03 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Again, the point is that some people are paying for themselves, while others are using their employers' purses.
Actually that was neither the point of the OP (who I responded to) nor the article he linked to. That may be the point you're arguing now but it's not what I responded about.
Quote:
So in essence business-travelers are pissed off at being treated like tourists.
I agree that's annoying, but its an over-simplification. The problem is really with your employer if they're asking you to constantly travel and not springing for a reasonable degree of comfort or efficiency for you, the person who is traveling to make money for them. If you are your own business, then it's your choice to budget that in or not. Times change, usually not for the better, so employers either need to get with it or their valued people need to leave.
Quote:
If your employer is a publicly held company, I'm happy to hear they won't splurge on business-class or other "frills" - they are doing the right thing for their stockholders. You want more leg room or a drink on the plane? Pay for it out of your own pocket.
Good point. Who is traveling for business and expecting their employer to pay for them to kick back and booze it up on the way? My guess is, only old school travelers who remember a day when you could get away with stuff like that just because it was built into the system.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:16 PM

279 posts, read 461,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Interesting article concerning how airlines bilk passengers into paying all kinds of fees, on top of the basic coach fair. Short answer: make entry-level ticket travel so miserable that people pay up to avoid modern coach and its abominable seats, space, and boarding. I concur with the author.

And it is precisely this which has led me to seriously curtail airline travel. If it comes down to a rail/boat/driving destination, versus flying, I'll take any land-based travel mode over flying every single time. I hate flying. Hate -- and I can afford first class and travel in first for business. I truly dislike what people have to put up with in coach.

You don't need to be an author at The New Yorker to figure this out. I've known this for years

Old 12-29-2014, 04:48 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
People are getting what they pay for. Honestly, I think the average traveler is so cheap he/she would fly in the cargo hold if it saved $10 dollars on the ticket price.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Try another airline. American and United are the bottom of the customer service barrel.
No domestic first class flights are any better. International is a huge step up.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
People are getting what they pay for. Honestly, I think the average traveler is so cheap he/she would fly in the cargo hold if it saved $10 dollars on the ticket price.
Yes, and this is why airlines have cut services, seat room and anything else they can cut. They discovered that the only thing that matters to a large number of travelers is price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel