Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM

204 posts, read 875,189 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our mid to late 20s considering an all inclusive caribbean vacation resort in early summer 2015. We would like some place that is fairly calm and relaxing but still has some things to do, and would prefer some place that has several dining options. We're thinking about a 4-5 day stay and hoping to spend less than $1,500 per person. Any advice on where to stay and how to book (Sandals seems priced out of our range and only other site we've used is cheapcaribbean.com) would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,714,473 times
We stayed at an Almond Resort a few years ago and were very pleased with our choice. It was our first AI adventure.
I don't know if Sandals and Beaches are owned by the same company or not, but I think that they have properties in different areas.
Turks and Caicos is a wonderful place to visit, the Sandals there was rated as the best AI in the Caribbean for several years, and I can say that it is a pretty spectacular property.
You might look at the Trip Advisor forum list to see if there is a place for conversation about Caribbean travel- seems like I recall seeing that referenced somewhere.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 AM

13,397 posts, read 28,706,787 times
Sandals is very pricey!!
I've always been pleased with what I booked through cheapcaribbean.
Where do you want to go? That budget would do well in Cancun, maybe Cabo as you want to go in summer and it's only 4-5 days.
Some of the islands are very pricey.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:16 PM

204 posts, read 875,189 times
Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree, Sandals is very pricey and out of our range. Didn't know about Almond Resorts, I'll check them out. Using cheapcaribbean, I've narrowed our choices down to the Bahamas, Cancun, Dominican, Jamaica and Riviera Maya. Price ranges are pretty consistent amongst those so now I'm looking for more criteria to help decide which area to hit.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 PM

30,608 posts, read 18,175,005 times
Are you only interested in traveling in the summer? My friend and his family went stayed at Secrets Resort in Jamaica for 4 days last month for $1,200 per person. This was an all inclusive package, which included the flight, room and room service, etc. Granted, I think they got this deal because they had a very large contingent (something close to 15-20 people as it was a birthday celebration), but perhaps you could still find something reasonable during the colder months. Note, please disregard if you're fully intent on traveling in August (I would think that August would be a cheaper month for these kinds of trips), but if you only chose August out of price considerations, please do some deeper digging for other alternatives!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:46 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,984,781 times
The Bahamas is NOT in the Caribbean...just so you know! It's in the Atlantic! Of course, in the summer it will be hot, but late fall to early spring can be cool...sort of like Florida weather.

For $3000, you could have a heck of a time in Vegas, depending on where you live!!!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:03 PM

30,608 posts, read 18,175,005 times
^^True, the Bahamas may not be technically in the Caribbean, but, for political and cultural purposes, the country is considered to be a Caribbean nation and is a full member of CARICOM. But, and my earlier post notwithstanding, I think you're on to something about other options. Did the OP consider other options where he'd get more bang for his buck? Heck, I'd look into some African or Asian vacations at that rate, but that's me

Old 01-09-2015, 09:54 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,714,473 times
manny, had you thought of Puerto Rico? I don't know about AI options there, but its pretty close and since you won't need a passport.
Another thing to consider is that depending on where you go you may not want an AI resort. AI's are great when there isn't much to do outside the resort proper, or if there are general safety concerns for venturing off property, but you can miss out on a lot when you feel compelled to stay on site because "everything is paid for". And honestly, sometimes its less expensive to go off site for meals.
Also, back to the AI thing, sometimes major hotel chains have an AI option for stays at their resorts. I know that was the case when we went to Hawaii- Marriott properties had an AI option that appealed to some folks, and it seems to me that I have heard of Hiltons also having that choice in some areas.
You might also check on some of the budget travel forums for ideas.....

Old 01-10-2015, 07:02 AM

4,786 posts, read 10,597,987 times
One point for OP to consider is that "4 or 5 day" vacay, as in 4 nights, is really a short getaway, to locations that can take a full day to get to...

OP may be initiating travel from 'not next door' to major airport, thus that trip to and from may be a serious 18 hr day before walking into one's room at a resort, or getting in the door back home. Add in a day to unwind upon arrival, couple days to lay around/do stuff, and it's time to pack and reload for the return, as many resorts want you out before noon.

That budget is on the low side also, in our experience.

Not saying that short of trip to 'the Caribbean' isn't doable or done regularly, but even in youth, one gets home late 4 or 5 nights later and says, 'I need a vacay'.

A longer stay, while another night or two of cost, may offer a real getaway vs an Amazing Race type vacay.
GL, mD

Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM

12,034 posts, read 8,392,431 times
At low season you will get a good deal at the Barceló Maya, Barceló Colonial or Barceló Tropical in the Maya Riviera. And you may be able to add a couple of extra days at a lowered cost.

These are on the low end of the luxury hotels but still nice. They stand on the same ground as the more luxurious ones and sometimes you are able to use the facilities or dine at the higher end ones. If your are beach people the eighty degree ocean temperature comes with each.

Although rates are higher now I was able to find a week for seven hundred about five years ago by checking frequently. Many of the Maya Riviera hotels have really good deals in low season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel