Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times

Advertisements

Small amounts of metal (small jewelry, zippers, hair clips, etc) don't need to be removed. Hats need to be removed, but wigs don't. Someone with piercings would likely go through the scanner without any trouble, but if something were flagged on the scanner, it would indicate where on the person the problem is, then the TSA agent would take them aside, give them a standard pat down, and determine that their piercings are the problem. I'm not sure what would happen if someone had many ... um ... discreet piercings that wouldn't be evident in a standard pat down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:12 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Small amounts of metal (small jewelry, zippers, hair clips, etc) don't need to be removed. Hats need to be removed, but wigs don't. Someone with piercings would likely go through the scanner without any trouble, but if something were flagged on the scanner, it would indicate where on the person the problem is, then the TSA agent would take them aside, give them a standard pat down, and determine that their piercings are the problem. I'm not sure what would happen if someone had many ... um ... discreet piercings that wouldn't be evident in a standard pat down.
Very interesting, thank you. I have a niece with LOTS of piercings (cheeks, tongue, eyebrows, ears), so I was curious what she'd need to do. I'm also surprised that wigs don't need to be removed privately in another room, since I'm guessing something could be hidden under them, same as a hat or scarf, but I'm glad I can pin up my hair with pins & it won't be an issue.

I've got a NY friend who abhors flying, because he had a hip replacement... he said his hip sets off the scanners full tilt.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

I've got a NY friend who abhors flying, because he had a hip replacement... he said his hip sets off the scanners full tilt.
That's interesting! I had major facial reconstructive surgery in 1992 (tons of plates, wires, screws, etc from my nose to my chin) and I was worried it would cause alert in scanners, because of all the metal. It never has. Sometimes I think it would be funny if it did, because it's just my FACE and there's no way for me to hide anything in my face!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:51 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
That's interesting! I had major facial reconstructive surgery in 1992 (tons of plates, wires, screws, etc from my nose to my chin) and I was worried it would cause alert in scanners, because of all the metal. It never has. Sometimes I think it would be funny if it did, because it's just my FACE and there's no way for me to hide anything in my face!
Ouch, so sorry Roo. I've never been with my friend at the airport, but with the utter frustration & disgust he displays when mentioning it, I don't feel he's over-exaggerating. Could it be that a hip replacement has a larger metal piece? He may have had both hips done... I don't recall.

I, too, wondered about it, since most of us have dental fillings & I'm surprised they don't trigger the scanners, when a penny in the pocket might.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:24 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Ouch, so sorry Roo. I've never been with my friend at the airport, but with the utter frustration & disgust he displays when mentioning it, I don't feel he's over-exaggerating. Could it be that a hip replacement has a larger metal piece? He may have had both hips done... I don't recall.

I, too, wondered about it, since most of us have dental fillings & I'm surprised they don't trigger the scanners, when a penny in the pocket might.
Dental fillings are non-ferrous, so they won't activate most metal detectors. Also, the old fashioned metal detectors have a sensitivity threshold. Belt buckles, eyeglasses, piercings and the occasional coin do not set them off.

The new nude-o-scopes are much more sensitive, but I think that they probably edit out facial piercings and fillings based upon location. I know that my eyeglasses do not trigger a secondary inspection.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The new nude-o-scopes are much more sensitive, but I think that they probably edit out facial piercings and fillings based upon location. I know that my eyeglasses do not trigger a secondary inspection.
Nude-o-scopes? Are you referring to the backscatter machines? They aren't in use anymore. The current machines are millimeter wave scanners and use only a generic body outline.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Nude-o-scopes? Are you referring to the backscatter machines? They aren't in use anymore. The current machines are millimeter wave scanners and use only a generic body outline.
Yes, those would be the ones. I forgot that they changed over.

It doesn't really matter to me either way. I would much care if the machines really had x-Ray vision.

My point stands. They have a much lower tolerance for metal, or really anything dense, than the old metal detectors.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
I'll add myself to the list of people who haven't used quart sized bags other than to protect my bigger bag from spills. Generally I have had no issues with having small liquid containers inside of my carry on bags and I haven't been asked to take liquids out after the bag has gone through security.

I have had a tongue ring for almost 10 years and I have never had an issue with it at security.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
No aerosol hair spray or other aerosol cans are allowed in your purse/carry on, no matter what size, and only one lighter if you smoke.

Since each airline has different policies, I suggest you go to Google, type in your airline's name (Delta, Southwest, etc) carry on baggage policies.
It will look like this: https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...rvice/baggage/

Most airlines want medication carried in the original pill bottle (aspirin, cold med, etc) but they dont' always insist on it. Also your prescription bottle with your NAME on it, pharmacy, etc, if you have a prescription

Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
No aerosol hair spray or other aerosol cans are allowed in your purse/carry on, no matter what size, and only one lighter if you smoke.
Not true. Aerosol cans are allowed in carryon if they're 3.4 oz or smaller. Full sized aerosols are allowed in checked baggage.

The TSA Blog: TSA Travel Tips Tuesday - Aerosols
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel