Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Where in the Middle East did this occur? The "Middle East" is a HUGE area with total opposite extremes in levels of safety.
Yep, it's not like travelling in Iraq or Syria (or Libya, if you count that as the "Middle East") is safe. I would be very surprised about an abduction in Jordan, Oman, or Iran or the UAE. Or the touristed parts of Egypt. Much less surprised in Lebanon or Yemen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post

You are likely safer traveling in Jordan, Tunisia, and Kuwait than you would be in western European capitals.
No offense, but (you will find this ironic but it's true) although this statement above may be true for white people, it is absolutely not the case if you're Black or Indian. Especially on the eastern side of the Middle East (Gulf Peninsula).

Old 01-16-2015, 10:51 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No offense, but (you will find this ironic but it's true) although this statement above may be true for white people, it is absolutely not the case if you're Black or Indian. Especially on the eastern side of the Middle East (Gulf Peninsula).
I do find that surprising--I know that there is essentially a slave-labor force of Indian immigrants in UAE, but I did not know of danger to visiting Indians in the Middle East. And certainly not to black people, either.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:48 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,025,322 times
What countries would you guys say are the most dangerous for atheist germanics with 4 christian names in their passports?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
I do find that surprising--I know that there is essentially a slave-labor force of Indian immigrants in UAE, but I did not know of danger to visiting Indians in the Middle East. And certainly not to black people, either.
Then we get into the issue on what the OP describes as "safe" or not. Dubai and UAE in the middle east are quite possibly the safest places in the world crime wise.
But if you go there acting like Bruno (from the Baron Cohen movie) then things probably won't go well.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What countries would you guys say are the most dangerous for atheist germanics with 4 christian names in their passports?
Right now? Maybe Paris or Belgium?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:04 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,857 times
Quote:
There is a lot of racism against people of color. People who work there accept it as the tradeoff for making amounts of money that they would never make back home.

Black Americans can probably expect to be treated well once the American accent comes out. For Black Africans, it's a totally different story.

Jordan is one of the better places in the Middle East, certainly less racist than Dubai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel