Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 05:04 AM

925 posts, read 4,705,721 times

Advertisements

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,871,114 times
The simple answer is to never ever get the insurance offered by rental cars because it's a rip-off, plain and simple. I mean look at the prices, it probably doubles the price of your rental fee. It's their money maker!

The majority of us are covered sufficiently via a combination of credit card perks, personal auto insurance, and health insurance (which it seems you are trying to figure out). Of course some of us may be more risk averse then others.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,988,263 times
If you have a Amex Card you might want to check there Car Rental Coverage plan ~$25 for up to 30-42 days of coverage. (That for the whole period of time, not per day).

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...ntal-LearnMore

Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 517 times
You probably have Collision and Liability coverage. If that is correct then the following applies

Keep in mind these basics. You gave your insurance company the serial number for your car, that means your rate that you pay is based on the age and model of your car. No other cars. Just yours.

Typically your Liability ....injuries to third parties....goes with you no matter what you drive, so be sure that you have enough to protect you. In an accident, that you cause, you could be sued for several hundreds of thousands in bodily injuries. Do you have coverage that can protect you? If you do not the courts can come after you personally.

Remember the rental car company knows the laws and coverage requirements in the states you are traveling. Yes their products may add to the cost and yes they make money on them....they should....but if something happens during your rental, being penny wise just might leave you on the hook for a lot of money... not to mention legal issues.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,871,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Rental Solutions View Post
You probably have Collision and Liability coverage. If that is correct then the following applies

Keep in mind these basics. You gave your insurance company the serial number for your car, that means your rate that you pay is based on the age and model of your car. No other cars. Just yours.

Typically your Liability ....injuries to third parties....goes with you no matter what you drive, so be sure that you have enough to protect you. In an accident, that you cause, you could be sued for several hundreds of thousands in bodily injuries. Do you have coverage that can protect you? If you do not the courts can come after you personally.

Remember the rental car company knows the laws and coverage requirements in the states you are traveling. Yes their products may add to the cost and yes they make money on them....they should....but if something happens during your rental, being penny wise just might leave you on the hook for a lot of money... not to mention legal issues.
LOL...given your user name, and as it appears you created a user ID for the sole purpose of posting the above message, I am sure you are objective.

Look, you can also be hit be lightening, die in an air accident, or win the lottery. Don't give in to fear, and I will say once again that the rental car insurance rates do not equate to the risk you are taking.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,110,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Rental Solutions View Post

Lol, I think in your business they call it a VIN. But, carry on.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:27 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,998,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
So in all these scenarios, which option will cover the other car (not rental car).

I called my car insurance and do not cover rental cars period.

I called my credit card and they only cover damages to the rental car.

My question is what should I do or which option covers the other car.
Me thinks you need to sit down with your insurance agent and have them review your policy. I have never used Farmers but I do know they are a major insurance company. The way you describe what they will cover as far as rental cars it sounds like that is part of your breakdown coverage option. It is possible general coverage of rental cars is an option as well.

As far as credit card coverage, the base coverage is usually only for the deductible.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:15 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,263,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If you have a Amex Card you might want to check there Car Rental Coverage plan ~$25 for up to 30-42 days of coverage. (That for the whole period of time, not per day).

https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...ntal-LearnMore
That is a great option! I knew I had quite a bit of coverage through Amex already, but for $20 lump sum, chump change, you are getting a plan that exceeds that which the car insurance places offer, that are $20/day.

I appreciate the link.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:23 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,813,977 times
The Amex 'Super Cover' also works in most countries overseas, (Ireland, Australia and Jamaica are noteworthy exceptions) which is a very good thing since most everyday car/homeowner's insurance policies only cover vehicles rented in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel