Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

If you're okay with spending the money, I can recommend the Hilton Midtown. It's centrally located, but still quiet. The rooms are quite spacious. It's a block from Radio City, and very close to Rockefeller Center and Times Square. I just stayed there this weekend, and was very happy with the choice.

(I also like that it's one of the few hotels that actually has a large driveway, so you're not getting dumped on a curb with all your bags, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I've visited most major cities in the States and around the world but never been to New York. It's time. I'd like to visit for three or four days this spring and go to a couple of Broadway shows, visit the major museums and the United Nations. Any advice on where to stay, best place to get tickets, which airport to fly into, transportation from the airport to hotel? Your input would be much appreciated.
Honestly, I think you should just go with NYC Airporter. It is $26 USD round trip. It will take you from LGA, JFK, or EWR and drop you off at either Penn Station, Bryant Park, Grand Central, Port Authority Bus Terminal.

If you are staying in the city, you can easily just take the subway from there. You may want to invest in the weekly metro card for $30 + $1 for new card. So overall, transportation costs would be $57, very reasonable as opposed to catching cabs, UBER, etc.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
With only 3-4 days, I think Manhattan would be where I'd stay ... especially for a first-timer.
I'll be there for a mini vacation in mid-April as well!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Honestly, I think you should just go with NYC Airporter. It is $26 USD round trip. It will take you from LGA, JFK, or EWR and drop you off at either Penn Station, Bryant Park, Grand Central, Port Authority Bus Terminal.

If you are staying in the city, you can easily just take the subway from there. You may want to invest in the weekly metro card for $30 + $1 for new card. So overall, transportation costs would be $57, very reasonable as opposed to catching cabs, UBER, etc.
Thanks. How much do you think the cab fare from any of the airports to say Central Park would be?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:51 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
With only 3-4 days, I think Manhattan would be where I'd stay ... especially for a first-timer.
I'll be there for a mini vacation in mid-April as well!
I would agree with this. Sure, there's money to be saved by staying elsewhere, but a lot of valuable time is going to be spent trying to figure out the best ways to get around as well as time spent actually in transit. Staying centrally means more time spent doing the things that you want to see and do.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:04 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I would agree with this. Sure, there's money to be saved by staying elsewhere, but a lot of valuable time is going to be spent trying to figure out the best ways to get around as well as time spent actually in transit. Staying centrally means more time spent doing the things that you want to see and do.
Agreed generally, but I'd add some hotels Downtown Brooklyn to the equation as well, such as the Sheraton or Marriott it they make more financial sense than more centrally located hotels. Ultimately, even a beginner to NYC subway travel wouldn't have a difficult time getting around from those locations (and, of so, they can always ask one of the many people walking the streets of those areas, just as they can do once in Manhattan, etc.). They are close to various subway lines that will only add 10-30 minutes to their travel time in terms of seeing many big attractions. Plus, they'd be closer to certain Brooklyn-based attractions, including the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, Brooklyn Museum, Barclays Center, etc. If you can save money on hotels to see more of the City without taking away too much travel time by booking hotels in certain areas vs. other areas, then I say go for it! After all, its no fun being in a "central" location if doing so leaves you with less money to experience all that the location has to offer. Of course, this only matters if money is an issue.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Thanks. How much do you think the cab fare from any of the airports to say Central Park would be?
From JFK, say, is about $50.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:45 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Don't get ripped off by cabs. Use Uber.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd high recommend using the TKTS booth (https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths) to get discounted tickets. TKTS offers same day and next day matinee tickets at steep discounts (note, next day matinee tickets aren't sold at the Times Square location), up to 50% off.
I highly recommend NOT using TKTS unless you are on a really tight budget and don't care what shows you see. On my first trip there (as an adult) we waited well over an hour in the TKTS line and ended up seeing some goofy nudist rave show we'd never heard of. The second time we went there, we booked ahead online and saw the show of our choice with a nice dinner package and some other perks to go along with it. Oh and no lines. It cost more but was well worth it. Every NYC tourist thinks they're onto some secret deal with TKTS, but in reality 3/4 of the tourists in the city are in line with you. The ones who know enough to show up hours early get all the preferred show tickets anyways, but is the savings worth all that time to you? Skip it, and find some other way to save a buck.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
From JFK, say, is about $50.
It's a flat fare JFK to Manhattan. $52 before toll and tips, so about $70 total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel