Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,110,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Great list! I do disagree with No. 12, though. Well, sort of. I love eating at 53rd and 6th, the Halal Guys. Great street meat over rice with salad and pita. Also, the Brooklyn Museum isn't exactly a "smaller" museum, though its less visited than some Manhattan museums; still one of the finest in the City in my view.

Also, I can't reiterate enough the need to get out of Manhattan and explore other parts of the City, whether that's taking the ferry to Staten Island (don't have to stay on the Island long), trekking to the Bronx for the NY Botanical Garden or Bronx Zoo, heading over to Brooklyn for the Brooklyn Museum or any other attraction, eating at the best and cheapest ethnic food joints, whether they are in Brooklyn, Queens, etc. If you want to stick to the general, more expensive tourist stuff, then, by all means, stay in Manhattan. But, for my friends visiting the City, whether for the first time or otherwise, really loved their outer-borough experiences.
Last time I was in NY, I practically ate Halal Guys food everyday, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM

13,002 posts, read 18,890,317 times
JFK to Manhattan it's $5 AirTran to Jamaica or Howard Beach then rail fare, about $13. From LGA you can take a bus to either Jackson Heights or Harlem, transfer to subway, total cost $3.00. Try the Circle line boat tour if you've never been before.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 PM

11,783 posts, read 12,017,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Other than #10 (which is good manners) and #11 (which is true for any city), those tips all seem like they're a lot more applicable to people who live there or visit regularly (on business) than to the typical tourist. Tourists who see some elitist value in pretending like they're not may also see value in that list. Typical tourists want to experience things like times square madness, a guided circle tour, or going to the top of the empire state. And they don't mind paying and waiting in line to do it. I agree with the notion that once you've done those things once there's no reason to go back, but I'd say the same thing about the city as a whole. Sure, the food is great and there's a lot of depth under that top layer of tourism, but it's just not worth the hassle for most. Every city has lesser known museums, off broadway plays and some fine food. Tourists go to NYC to see the famous stuff, not look at the statue of liberty with binoculars and watch My Dinner with Andre the Musical in some back alley. It's different for residents and frequent visitors.

I don't understand telling tourists not to do touristy things and avoid the famous sights. In NYC, I would recommend going to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) because the view and photo ops of lower Manhattan are nice with the Empire State Building in them, hard to do when you're standing on it. And the view of Central Park is better as well. If you have more than one chance to visit, it's great to get off the beaten path, but for your first time, go and see what you want, even if everyone else is doing it too.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:10 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,905,909 times
[quote=Cida;38131676]First, is there any reason that you didn't post this in the NYC forum, and begin with a thorough search, since this kind of question is constantly asked there?

Second, since your question is so basic, why don't you start by buying a guidebook or two, so you'd have more information than you'd ever get here, nicely compacted? That's why they were invented.[/quote

First, I checked the NY, NY forum and no-one talks about what tourists should do/see in the city. Second, this is a travel forum and a trip to NY, NY is travel for me. Third, I'm enjoying hearing from other travelers who have visited NY, NY along with the remarks from the folks who live there. Fourth, I have a guide book but I also enjoy hearing from regular people. OK with you?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 PM

9,746 posts, read 7,454,879 times
Don't fly into LaGuardia. Not only is there no subway access there, but the airport sucks as well. One of United's hub is @ Newark which is an air train than a 25 minute NJ Transit ride into midtown Manhattan. The rest of the airlines (American & Delta) have hubs at JFK which is an air train and either a 30 minute subway ride or 25 minute LIRR ride into midtown Manhattan.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:57 AM

17 posts, read 38,007 times
Hi...I've never been in NYC...And never wanted to be there...But, you never know what will happen in your life.
So, one day, I saw a photo of NY (Bronx) in Internet. It would seem nothing special, but it changed my life. Now I'm interested in everything that happens in this town. I wanna know how to live and survive in it, how to get from one street to other, how much does it cost to live in NY, how people spending their week-ends, what they eat and drink, even how they get drunk in their spare time.
Can you tell me about the life in NYC?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:02 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,518,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
If you can plan weeks in advance getting tickets to go up in the crown of the Statue of Liberty is a treat.
Agreed, it was a highlight of my first NYC trip with the kids.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 AM

30,608 posts, read 18,175,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
First, is there any reason that you didn't post this in the NYC forum, and begin with a thorough search, since this kind of question is constantly asked there?

Second, since your question is so basic, why don't you start by buying a guidebook or two, so you'd have more information than you'd ever get here, nicely compacted? That's why they were invented.
I can't speak for the OP, but I'm glad this is posted in the travel, and not the NYC, forum. While useful, the NYC forum is filled with too many immature posters. I doubt the discussion would've been this helpful and respectful in the NYC forum.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 AM

30,608 posts, read 18,175,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Last time I was in NY, I practically ate Halal Guys food everyday, lol.
Apart from being cheap, the Halal Guys serve amazing food so I really can't blame you!

Old 01-23-2015, 05:06 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 29 days ago)

43,601 posts, read 44,324,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
JFK to Manhattan it's $5 AirTran to Jamaica or Howard Beach then rail fare, about $13.
The Airtrain from JFK costs $5 to either Jamaica or Howard Beach. In Jamaica one has the option to either take the subway for $2.50 (in March it will go up to $2.75) or take the more expensive LIRR direct (with no stops) to Penn Station on the Western side of Manhattan. From Howard Beach, one can only connect to the subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel