Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:34 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times

Advertisements

Processing credit/debit card payments would cost the toll authority SO much more than simply counting all those coins at the bank. If these things must exist, I would rather the money go to fixing the roads and such instead of more overhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,371 times
Our turnpike here in Kansas is trying hard to push everyone onto K-Tag. Your account is linked to a credit card and the tolls deduct monthly. You don't just speed through the toll both, though. You must slow down to 20 mph or less. So a line still forms in the K-Tag lanes.

I'm stubborn and still use coins. At some point they'll fire all the toll collectors. But they'll need to add a swipe/touch card option. Even though Kansas isn't high on tourists' lists, we still have plenty of drivers passing through, who may not be aware of the tolls.

Kansas and Oklahoma have a turnpike sharing program now. The K-Tag will work on Oklahoma's toll roads, and the Oklahoma Pike-Pass will work in Kansas. Just don't carry both, or you'll be charged twice.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Parts of Florida do 'toll by plate' where if you don't have a Sunpass transponder, they take a picture of your license plate and mail a bill to the address on file for that plate at the end of the month. The down side of this is that you will be charged like an $8 'convenience fee' per monthly statement in addition to the $1 toll for that road segment.

It's designed to push you into buying a $5 transponder sticker and then keeping a minimal amount of money in your Sunpass account rather than doing toll by plate, which admittedly has about a 10% failure rate for reading license plates.
I started a thread in the Orlando forum on Tolls, Coming from Oregon it blew my mind with the amount of tolls everywhere and multiple tolls on the same road. I did research ahead of time and knew I would come across them so I kept change on me. I think next time I will pay for the toll pass thru the rental car place.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Our turnpike here in Kansas is trying hard to push everyone onto K-Tag. Your account is linked to a credit card and the tolls deduct monthly. You don't just speed through the toll both, though. You must slow down to 20 mph or less. So a line still forms in the K-Tag lanes.

I'm stubborn and still use coins. At some point they'll fire all the toll collectors. But they'll need to add a swipe/touch card option. Even though Kansas isn't high on tourists' lists, we still have plenty of drivers passing through, who may not be aware of the tolls.

Kansas and Oklahoma have a turnpike sharing program now. The K-Tag will work on Oklahoma's toll roads, and the Oklahoma Pike-Pass will work in Kansas. Just don't carry both, or you'll be charged twice.
Why can't they standardize nationwide? You can use your EZPASS all the way from IL to NJ, but not in KS or TX.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Why can't they standardize nationwide? You can use your EZPASS all the way from IL to NJ, but not in KS or TX.

Some of the transponder wireless networks were built in ways that were not terribly compatible with other networks. The big players would actually love to get everything working on one standard tolling system (and are actually required to under federal law)but it takes time and money on their end to develop a way to handle billing on non-native toll roads and retrofit toll plazas to handle multiple transponder types.

SunPass moves step closer to working in Northeast - Sun Sentinel

Quote:
The nation's toll road systems are required to allow drivers to use one transponder on any toll road by Oct. 1 , 2016, and turnpike officials say it's a top priority for them to make it happen. "SunPass is working with E-ZPass to attain [it] earlier than that," said Sonyha Rodriguez-Miller, spokeswoman for Florida's Turnpike.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Do what the truckers do -- just say No to the punitive tolls and drive on the free roads, that the Interstates were supposed to unclog, but don't because truckers can't afford to use them anymore. The US-routes across northern Ohio are steady streams of trucks avoiding toll piracy. And there are so many construction zones and lane closures on the Chi-NY tollways, it's faster to use the 2-lane roads instead anyway.

The whole concept if the interstate highway system was defeated, when it sold out to the toll-road industry. It's too late to fix it, but no part of the interstate system ever should have been allowed to be built as a cash cow. Maybe too late, I'm not sure -- Kentucky has taken down the toll booths from most of their notorious toll roads.

Huey Long promised that nobody would ever pay to get across a river in Louisiana. He just didn't live long enough to see it.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-25-2015 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel