Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 02:22 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,744,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You've received great advice here (imo)!! So, to recap:

1) Search for pricing using ITA Matrix or kayak (I prefer ITA because for a few reasons, but kayak is fine for domestic flights)
2) Generally speaking it will be best to purchase the tickets on a Tues, Wed, or early Thu, and about 4-5 weeks before flying.
3) Cheapest days to fly are usually Tues, Wed and Sat.
4) When you're done with the initial researching, you can set price alerts on kayak to notify you of price drops. (Only if you have plenty of time before the travel dates)
5) When you decide to purchase just use the particular airlines website, unless you want to get extra points with some kind of shopping portalt through an OTA***
6) Remember to check southwest.com because its prices are not included in the kayak or ITA Matrix search. Southwest has direct flights to SJC and OAK from AUS...non direct to SFO.
7) I'll occasionally check priceline or hotwire*** as they might contain lower-priced seating than the airlines offer if you are willing to gamble on which airline, exact flight times, and number of stops. I've never actually gone through with it because the price difference even on the best occasions weren't worth my potential inconvenience, but sometimes I still look just in case. Honestly, if you plan properly then you aren't gonna get a better deal this way...it's pretty much just a good savings for last-minute (i.e., expensive) flights.

***This would go against the warnings of several posters who have expressed bad experiences using online travel agents (OTAs) when things go awry. I personally have never had an issue with any OTA, even when flights are delayed/canceled or I miss them...I have always been able to deal directly with the airline with no extra hassle. That said, beware of non-reputable OTAs that at best create hassle and at worst are outright scams (like eDreams, cheapoair, etc) If you go the OTA route, stick with priceline, hotwire, expedia, orbitz, travelocity. I've used them all but use the first three most often.
I would also add to check for additional fees before you book. Luggage fees can vary by airline, there are some airlines that give you free bags (jetblue gives 1, southwest 2), and others that will charge you even for a carry on (Spirit and Frontier). Make sure to factor those fees into your ticket price.

Also another benefit of southwest is that they don't charge cancellation or change fees. If their ticket prices go down you can rebook at a the lower rate and get the difference as a credit, and I believe that you can use any credit you have with them to book tickets for other passengers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 AM

7,776 posts, read 10,117,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
True. I don't think Jet Blue is listed, either. I'm not sure about Virgin America.
From my experience, Southwest is really the only airline here in the US that doesn't come up.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:32 AM

7,776 posts, read 10,117,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I would also add to check for additional fees before you book. Luggage fees can vary by airline, there are some airlines that give you free bags (jetblue gives 1, southwest 2), and others that will charge you even for a carry on (Spirit and Frontier). Make sure to factor those fees into your ticket price.

Also another benefit of southwest is that they don't charge cancellation or change fees. If their ticket prices go down you can rebook at a the lower rate and get the difference as a credit, and I believe that you can use any credit you have with them to book tickets for other passengers
Yep, good point about the checked bags, carryon charges and cancellation/change fees. Really just can't go wrong with Southwest if their price is close and their route is convenient. (unless you're booking for someone who likes status with their airline)

Old 01-30-2015, 11:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,935,379 times
I thought I read that starting at some point this year, Southwest is only going to be allowing one free bag. I could be wrong, I don't do cattle calls and they aren't the low cost carrier people think they are, so they aren't really on my radar.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:23 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,201,095 times
did the kayak thing, cheapest flight I could find from boston to Miami this july was $307 round trip. I am going to Miami for a Bahamas cruise. when I called to book the cruise I asked about flights, and got a cheaper flight thru delta for $198.

its better to call.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:07 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,103,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I thought I read that starting at some point this year, Southwest is only going to be allowing one free bag. I could be wrong, I don't do cattle calls and they aren't the low cost carrier people think they are, so they aren't really on my radar.
I think you're thinking of Jetblue getting rid of it's 1 free bag, which is happening this year.

As for cost, low-cost in terms of being especially low or very no-frills? No. Low-cost in terms of being worth checking for the lowest fare on a given route? Yes.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
did the kayak thing, cheapest flight I could find from boston to Miami this july was $307 round trip. I am going to Miami for a Bahamas cruise. when I called to book the cruise I asked about flights, and got a cheaper flight thru delta for $198.

its better to call.
Big difference. Booking through the cruise line they have negotiated bulk rates. They also won't assign seats in advance, etc., and in irops, your bottom barrel fare is the last one to get rebooked.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
I think you're thinking of Jetblue getting rid of it's 1 free bag, which is happening this year.

As for cost, low-cost in terms of being especially low or very no-frills? No. Low-cost in terms of being worth checking for the lowest fare on a given route? Yes.
They are usually higher than the legacies on the routes I fly the most.

It could be JetBlue I had read about. I am intrigued by their MINT product.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:55 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,084,361 times
Thanks to all of you! You have given me lots of good information, and I'm sure I will be able to do well with all of this. When my husband and I used to travel, we often went to Seat Guru after we had booked to help with selecting seat assignments. I don't know if it works that way any more (it never worked that way on Southwest) but I may also give that a try. I appreciate all the tips.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,744,039 times
Seatguru is still helpful. But nowadays most airlines will charge you to either book you seats or book the more desirable ones. At the very least it will tell you if it's worth waiting to select your seat or taking a risk and waiting until you check in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel