Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:57 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosy traveler View Post
I'm not good at photographing, tell me please is it possible only by very expensive camera, to make such photos?
You should start looking through photo portfolios and determine what style you would like to shoot. Wide shots of natural landscapes, zoomed in shots of animals, close up macro shots of plants/insects, shots of architecture, or photos of people. Each require different equipment, travel to different locations etc.

Here is a really great landscape photographer. He uses very old technology but you can't argue with his results. He uses the camera only to get these results.

Rodney Lough Jr Wilderness Collection

Pic of him and his camera

a few samples of what he does

The last photo was taken in antelope canyon, popular photo tourist site. Thought I would bring it up since I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Here is a guy that takes the exact opposite approach. He uses all the latest editing software to achieve his results. He also has a very good info on the site for getting started.

Stuck In Customs | HDR Photography, Travel Photography and Camera Reviews

his portfolio

The Photography of Trey Ratcliff

couple examples (you'll have to open them up in a new tab)

Portfolio - StuckInCustoms.com

I would get a decent mid range camera. Look at the type of pics you want to take and then see what lenses you would need and make your brand choice based on that. Canon, nikon and now even sony all make good cameras and lenses. You don't need a full frame camera either because you can buy and use full frame lenses with an APS-C sensor camera. That way if you decide to stick with it you can upgrade the camera later and still use the lenses.

Pick up 1 or 2 lenses you need for the style your shooting and a good solid tripod.

You can possibly find all this in a used kit on ebay or local ads and save some money.

From there its just a lot of practice and studying pictures from photographers shooting your style of pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 AM

21 posts, read 16,898 times
Thank a lot for so many great tips and amazing photos! I will follow your advices and perhaps one day you will find here my beautiful photos. I hope so.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Tripods are good, but often a PIA to carry outside/set up and not feel planted.
You can also sometimes get your travel partner to play pack mule for you with varying levels of results and resentment.

I'm now having flashbacks to doing that for my husband when it was 105F at the Grand Canyon, I was coming down with a nasty case of bronchitis, and he was just bouncing around with his camera while I was loaded down with camera bag, tripod, and joint potable water stash.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Fast glass is great for a narrow depth of field, but it will still give better contrast and sharpness if you stop down to f11.

You can shoot hand held with almost any modern sensor at ISO3200, at the expense of digital noise. Shooting at slower speeds suppresses the noise level. ISO100 or even 25 if your camera will go that low will give better results, but requires a tripod. That's no reason to miss a shot you can't get any other way, so if conditions require it, feel free to open the aperture wide open and crank up the sensor. A tripod will still help. I keep a tiny one in my camera bag, so am never without a steady rest. A flash sometimes helps too.

One of the drawbacks of digital sensors is that, like the old slide films, they are very contrasty. The advantage of shooting raw mode is that none of the information collected by the sensor is discarded. It is all available for your image software to work with. Yes, it's quicker to just let the camera convert the image to a jpg, and for snapshots that is the way to go. Under more challenging circumstances, shooting raw will let you capture a truly high quality image at the expense of quite a bit of time at the computer tweaking the image. It's the modern version of spending hours in a darkroom to produce a really great print, but is even more powerful.
There are many places that use of a trip is simply either not allowed or totally impractical.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 AM

823 posts, read 1,126,304 times
The Florida Keys can be one of the most beautiful places to photograph when the sky is right and the ocean is calm and blue. I've taken more pictures there than probably anywhere else I've visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel