Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 14,285 times

Advertisements

In about a week, I'll be driving solo from Balto MD to a bit south of Houston TX and maps are taking me through Tennessee. Is this a good idea or should I take the extra time to go through Atlanta? My concern is about ice, mountains (with cliffs where I'm already envisioning sliding to my death....) and any other treachery I might not be considering. I want to get there safely and I'm not in any rush to arrive. I'd also love to make some worthwhile stops, but have no idea where to even begin looking for a safe place for a 30 something female to trapse around in alone. Any suggestions?
Honestly, I'm excited about this move because it takes me back home, but also pretty worried about the actual getting there because of the timing being in the winter. My things are being shipped, so I'll be travelling with a couple weeks worth of necessities, a loaded playlist and a great attitude. I finally quit the job I've hated for 3 years; I'm officially cancer free!; my marriage just didn't work out. I want to use this road trip as a statement to myself that I can still have fun. Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:58 AM

4,781 posts, read 10,530,495 times
What time frame allotted for your trip, what kind of car/its condition, and what are your interests for TTD/See along the way?

TN doesn't have many 'cliffs' on normal roads.
GL, mD

Old 02-01-2015, 06:33 PM

Hi mD!

I have several days to spend and am driving a manual trans '13 Veloster. Fun driver. Great shape. I'd love to get photos of beautiful sights, funny photo ops with statues, historic stops, great food!

Glad to hear about the 'few cliffs'. I'm more fearful of that than anything else.

Bella

Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
^^^

You avoid the cliffs by staying on the freeways.

Also, you wait out any storms that lie in front of you.

Do realize that the southern states do NOT have the snow removal equipment that most northern states do. Also, they salt the roads less.

Remember that ice storms are more troublesome than the snow storms. My last trip to Houston last March involved missing. COUPLEOF ICE STORMS.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Great information, jlawrence01. I'll plan for that as well.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:38 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,926,006 times
I would watch the weather starting 2 days before you leave, and let that determine my route! Driving on interstates through the mountains isn't a big deal...but you won't be able to "crane your neck" and see the sights!!!!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:06 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
i like CDs idea, watch the weather (I am sure you are about to leave now) When we moved from the DC area to Texas, Dallas, we did the TN route and it was late April or early May. Whether was not an issue. When we moved from S. California to DC we did the southern route.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
If you stick to the interstate you won't feel like you are about to dive off a cliff. From Baltimore, I'd make my way to I-81 to I-40 to I-75 and pick up I-59 outside of Chattanooga to I-10. This route will keep you off I-95 (parking lot) and you will bypass I-40 through the Smokies. Keep moving in the direction you are headed; do not back track to make the best time.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellajonna View Post
In about a week, I'll be driving solo from Balto MD to a bit south of Houston TX
and maps are taking me through Tennessee. Is this a good idea...
or should I take the extra time to go through Atlanta?
Go through Atlanta.
I-95 to I-85 to Atlanta and I-20; slide down to I-10 (before New Orleans).
Stop there. Time it right and you get Fat Tuesday.

Last edited by MrRational; 02-03-2015 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 05:26 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Look ahead at the forecast a couple of days before you leave, and avoid the mountains if the weather is expected to be bad. Atlanta traffic can be terrible, and it's a long way through, so choose the Knoxville route if the weather looks sunny and warm.

Of you're getting there anytime near Mardi Gras, don't try to go anywhere near New Orleans, go straight from Mobile to Baton Rouge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel