Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times

Advertisements

Looks like we'll taking another trip to Europe in a few months. I wanted to ask some questions about exchange rates and purchases.

What do you recommend? I've heard that the best approach is use ATM machines with your debit card. I've also heard that a debit card issued by Capital One may be the best bet. It is supposed to have either no fees for obtaining currency or low fees? I have also heard that my own bank Chase has very high exchange rates on its cards. What are your experiences?

Related question: If you purchase things in Europe with your credit card what are the exchange fees like for doing that? Like the debit card, do some financial institutions offer better rates than others? Would you recommend a credit card from Capital One or another institution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Cap One CCs have no transaction or exchange rate fees, its my go to for travel cards.

I like my AmEx generally as the rewards are better, but they have exchange rate fees so I rarely use it when out of the country.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
I tend to use a chase credit card with no international change surcharge for most purchases. The exchange rate has always seemed reasonable.

For cash I Goto an ATM and make a reasonably large withdrawal. It only costs a few dollars for using an ATM that isn't owned by your bank (foreign ATM in multiple senses). The exchange rates are always better than the airport currency changers.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
If you are offered something called 'Dynamic Currency Conversion' or a merchant otherwise offers to bill you in US dollars (or the credit card's home currency) tell them a very firm 'No' in the relevant language. 99% of the time it converts at a horribly unfavorable rate.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:52 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,797,037 times
Also check with you bank to see if they have partner banks in the countries that you will be visiting. If they have partner banks you will be able to avoid the service fees for using the ATM.

If you are looking to have cash before you go, you may also want to check with you bank to see what they will charge you to order foreign currency. While still more than taking out cash at a foreign ATM, you'll get a better rate than using a service like Travelex

Old 02-03-2015, 11:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I tend to use a chase credit card with no international change surcharge for most purchases. The exchange rate has always seemed reasonable.

For cash I Goto an ATM and make a reasonably large withdrawal. It only costs a few dollars for using an ATM that isn't owned by your bank (foreign ATM in multiple senses). The exchange rates are always better than the airport currency changers.
Pretty much what I do.

I buy enough currency for the first few days (or entire trip in countries with questionable or secure access to an ATM) from my bank. I don't want to take the chance of the ATM at the airport being broken or eating my card and there I am, stuck without some local currency.

I also will only use a bank ATM located at the bank during business hours. That way if the card is eaten it can be retrieved by banking officials. (from personal experience)

I pay for larger purchases where I want some guarantees, hotels, and other large expenses with a credit card.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Agreed- this is what I do as well.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
charles schwab is prolly the best debit card for international travel.

chase debit card isn't that good IMO. like on my trip to thailand last year, after all the fees was getting around 30 baht to the dollar. whereas the cash i brought with me i exchanged for 32-ish baht to the dollar. not the end of the world, but that is over 6% lost on fees and bad exchange rate. wasn't particularly happy about it. prolly withdrew somewhere in the range of $3000 equivalent and lost $200 on fees.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Pretty much what I do.

I buy enough currency for the first few days (or entire trip in countries with questionable or secure access to an ATM) from my bank. I don't want to take the chance of the ATM at the airport being broken or eating my card and there I am, stuck without some local currency.
never seen an airport that didn't have currency exchange. and i can't imagine getting a better rate at a US-based bank branch than at an airport currency exchange booth.

when i travel overseas, i never exchange in advance. just bring a bunch of cash, then change $100 or so at the airport when i arrive. then change the rest the following day in town when i find a place with good rates.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
never seen an airport that didn't have currency exchange. and i can't imagine getting a better rate at a US-based bank branch than at an airport currency exchange booth.

Eh, Travelex gave me much better rates than the airport exchange places. I never see the point in using the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel