Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
The first birthday party is always for the parents. It's one of the milestone birthdays that usually generates more fanfare. I don't know of many parents that didn't have something big for the first birthday. And while the child may not remember the experience that doesn't mean that the child won't have fun while there, I'm sure that things like being in a pool or the ocean will be fun for the child.
Ugh, non-toilet trained kids in a pool--diapers act like tea bags. I don't swim in cesspools, and that's what kids in diapers create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:52 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
It's a cultural thing. We stay home, we are obligated to get a banquet hall and inviting every Tom Dick and Harry (parents friends, grandparents friends, neighbors, friends of friends etc.) for this child's birthday. What happens is that everyone gets stressed out and a lot of money is spent on an extravagent event (usually $5k-$7k) where we only know maybe 1/4 of the people and the rest will be complaining and gossiping. No fun for parents and direct family and especially the child who get's thrusted in multiple peoples arms (mostly strangers) because "they need to hold the birthday girl".

I don't expect most north americans folks to understand such obligations, but that's what we do in our culture.

Rather spend $2.5k - $3k on a destination birthday ... at least we are saving some $$ and it will be enjoyable for the adults that are going and our niece loves seeing new things and is an outdoorsy girl. We'll only have her parents, grandparents and us to celebrate in a relaxing atmosphere. And trust me when I say that going to Mexico is far more easier and relaxing than throwing the party at home.
OBLIGATED?!!? Somebody needs to explain to Tom, Dick and Harry, family, friends, parents, neighbors. Friends of friends, etc (almost all of whom are just looking for a party with free food, dancing and presumably free booze) that this money would be better spent on starting a college fund for the kid.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Hi all,

We are thinking of celebrating our niece's first birthday in Cancun at an all inclusive resort (Paradisus) and was wondering what facilities are available for infant care?

Specifically:
- Since there are no microwaves in the rooms, how to warm water for meals/milk? Is it as simple as calling room service and asking for warm filtered water?

- Are cribs typically available at these resorts? If not, we would bring our own travel set.

- Are there stores along hotel zone where we can buy extra diapers/wipes and supplies ... just in case?

It will be all our first time in Cancun and also at an all-inclusive resort so we're ready for a learning curve but will force ourselves to make the best of any situation we will face.

Any tips and tricks with travelling with infant to Cancun would be welcomed (not the type along the lines of "keep the kids at home").
Every all-inclusive resort I've ever known of was adults only, because they serve alcohol for "free" and guests are frequently sloshed. That's definitely not a place I'd take a child, especially a baby. Nevermind what the other guests would think of someone invading their vacation with a screaming infant.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:04 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Every all-inclusive resort I've ever known of was adults only, because they serve alcohol for "free" and guests are frequently sloshed. That's definitely not a place I'd take a child, especially a baby. Nevermind what the other guests would think of someone invading their vacation with a screaming infant.
Many of the AI in Mexico are NOT adults only, trust me been there done that

Old 02-12-2015, 08:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Many of the AI in Mexico are NOT adults only, trust me been there done that
Perhaps because I was looking for specific adult-related activities when I searched.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Perhaps because I was looking for specific adult-related activities when I searched.
Cancun and Cabo have a few adults only AI but most accept kids.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Cancun and Cabo have a few adults only AI but most accept kids.
My niece's senior trip was to an AI in Cancun and they weren't allowed off the premises....I bet that was a real blast....for them...don't know about the other guests!!!!

Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Ugh, non-toilet trained kids in a pool--diapers act like tea bags. I don't swim in cesspools, and that's what kids in diapers create.
They make swim diapers specifically to insure that this doesn't happen. Any responsible parent would make sure to bring them along and most places where there are likely to have small children swimming will have them in a shop nearby

Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
My niece's senior trip was to an AI in Cancun and they weren't allowed off the premises....I bet that was a real blast....for them...don't know about the other guests!!!!
That may of been a choice made by the chaperones as Cancun is safe to go about as long as you don't throw caution to the wind. The resorts don't forbid you to leave the property.

I would guess what happened to Natalie Holloway in Aruba and then a few years later some cheerleader falling from a balcony in Hawaii responsible chaperones are tightening up on their charges. Some seniors in high school aren't even 18 yet when they graduate if they were born in the summer

Old 02-12-2015, 10:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
They make swim diapers specifically to insure that this doesn't happen. Any responsible parent would make sure to bring them along and most places where there are likely to have small children swimming will have them in a shop nearby
You're dreaming if you think that swim diapers hold it all in. That's why all cruise ships and many states prohibit untrained kids in the pools, and provide splash zones with constantly refreshed water for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel