Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtimes View Post
I recently booked a trip to Madrid from nyc. It was last minute, so nobody can accompany me. Everyone I know is warning me not to go alone and since I am female, I will be targeted by criminals. I'm staying in a 5 star hotel in the best part of the city. I planned on doing some group day trips and evening tapas tours so I'm not alone all the time, but I'm beginning to feel discouraged by everyone's negativity.

Any solo travellers here that can offer me some encouragement? I have travelled quite a bit, but never alone.
what kind of bumpkins think it is not safe for an adult female to travel alone in Spain? It is not Venezuela. If you are fine walking alone in NYC, Madrid will be perfectly safe too, probably much safer. I met a 24 year old girl from NYC in Barcelona last week and she was traveling alone too.

Just use some reasonable caution like in any city. Don't walk alone at night on shoddy streets. Americans sometimes know so little about other countries... it is incredible. Just remember this: 90% of other western countries are much much safer than America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumtimes View Post
I think a money belt is excessive. I leave my passport and unnecessary money in the hotel safe when travelling. And I take cabs as opposed to the metro.
what's wrong with taking the metro?? Is Madrid metro less safe than NYC metro? And what makes cabs safer? You could meet a series killer cab driver who specifically targets solo female travelers, and once in his car, he can take you anywhere he wants! While on the metro, you are among hundreds of local and visiting people.

And it is funny you need to emphasize "five star hotel"... are three star hotels or BnBs less safer? I don't think so.

Why are people so paranoid about traveling in a perfectly safe city? Madrid is not Detroit or New Orleans. It is probably safer than Boston.

Do Americans think all other countries are some backwater village with 24 hours of crime and violence? Seriously, American cities are incredibly dangerous compared with almost all West European cities. In cities like Madrid or Rome, the streets are bustling with people, even at night, and millions of locals and visitors are walking on the streets, taking the metro, shopping, dinning. if at all, they make most American cities look crime infested, not the other way around. San Francisco would be a pretty sketchy and dangerous city if put in Europe.

Last edited by botticelli; 02-24-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,021,234 times
I've met tourists who are afraid to take the subway in NYC or Boston--public transportation really seems to freak some people out. I think that it's less of a US-Europe thing and more that some people are completely unaccustomed to urban areas where people walk (even women! even after dark!) and take public transit to get around as to being car-dependent.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:31 AM

10,348 posts, read 7,936,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Americans sometimes know so little about other countries... it is incredible.
A lot of Americans are scared of women traveling alone, period. Even if it's to visit another city in America. I've never understood why.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,526,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
A lot of Americans are scared of women traveling alone, period. Even if it's to visit another city in America. I've never understood why.
That's my mom. Dad, not so much. She's just always been that way about me. She was worried about me going to Nicaragua & I had to reassure her over & over & over & over & over & over that the island I was going to is utterly safe, was recommended for female solo travelers & the only crime that I've heard about there is petty crime such as thieving. She was worried about my million hour layover in Singapore when I went to Malaysia. I think she's just convinced I'll be sold into the sex slave, that's the only explanation I know of. I'm probably the most street smart kid that she's got, I'm the youngest of 4, yet she worries about me the most. Probably because I'm single.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That's my mom. Dad, not so much. She's just always been that way about me. She was worried about me going to Nicaragua & I had to reassure her over & over & over & over & over & over that the island I was going to is utterly safe, was recommended for female solo travelers & the only crime that I've heard about there is petty crime such as thieving. She was worried about my million hour layover in Singapore when I went to Malaysia. I think she's just convinced I'll be sold into the sex slave, that's the only explanation I know of. I'm probably the most street smart kid that she's got, I'm the youngest of 4, yet she worries about me the most. Probably because I'm single.
will she worry as much if you travel alone in the US?

Singapore! it is probably safer than any 100% white & wealthy suburban community in CT.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've met tourists who are afraid to take the subway in NYC or Boston--public transportation really seems to freak some people out. I think that it's less of a US-Europe thing and more that some people are completely unaccustomed to urban areas where people walk (even women! even after dark!) and take public transit to get around as to being car-dependent.
what's more funny is the majority of European and Asian cities are much much safer than even the safer American cities such as Boston or Seattle. Some S American countries are different but it also depends. Argentina for example is very safe, Brazil less so.

Have these people even been outside America at all? Why do they act so stupid? Jesus, America is increasingly becoming a secluded backwater country where people don't have a clue about the outside world but imagine it must be far worse because by default America is the best.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:05 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,526,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
will she worry as much if you travel alone in the US?

Singapore! it is probably safer than any 100% white & wealthy suburban community in CT.
She's just a mom who worries about me, that's all.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:37 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,936,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
She's just a mom who worries about me, that's all.
Yeah, there's not much you can do about mom nerves. It doesn't matter how old you get, to your mom you'll always be her baby, and she'll worry about you. I guess 18 years of practice does that to a person!

Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,361,746 times
OP are you blonde? If so, you will be lightly harassed on the street. Nothing major, but just be aware that you will be hit on a lot.

I walked all over Madrid and even went to their black market area, which is the only place I would avoid.

The pickpockets are professionals and will cut your purse off you body. They can break a window in a car when you are at a stoplight. Just be aware of your purse and keep it close. I carry money etc in an inside pocket that they can't get into.

You will be fine. Just don't stay out too late at the tapas bar crawl and keep your wits about you. Daytime will be no problem at all. Enjoy the Prado and the architecture.

I can't remember if this was the city we were warned to use an official taxi, because you can get ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel