Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,971,905 times

Advertisements

So i reserved a trip a while back - for over NYE and it involves me renting a car. Without going into to much detail, by the time i go to get my car, my license will be suspended. Do they run a background check? Will they be able to see this or will i be able to pick up the car without a problem?

Thanks in advance and please dont judge, haha.

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
So i reserved a trip a while back - for over NYE and it involves me renting a car. Without going into to much detail, by the time i go to get my car, my license will be suspended. Do they run a background check? Will they be able to see this or will i be able to pick up the car without a problem?

G Man
I was never aware of any license check, just the credit check.

Good luck with getting the "situation" sorted out. My daughter recalls her father regaling her with his tale of getting his license suspended when he registered to vote. She was about 10 years old & was overwhelmed that HE cried when he told her it was revoked for lack of child support payments.

I told her that her step father would never cry for getting caught doing something wrong. haha. The look on her face was priceless.

I hope all works out well for you. I wouldn't wish anything bad on anyone.

Happy travels!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
No.

They will ask for your license and make a copy, if it is still in your possesion and not expired it should be cool. No license check to see if it is suspended. I doubt they even have that ability.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I was never aware of any license check, just the credit check.

Good luck with getting the "situation" sorted out. My daughter recalls her father regaling her with his tale of getting his license suspended when he registered to vote. She was about 10 years old & was overwhelmed that HE cried when he told her it was revoked for lack of child support payments.

I told her that her step father would never cry for getting caught doing something wrong. haha. The look on her face was priceless.

I hope all works out well for you. I wouldn't wish anything bad on anyone.

Happy travels!
Credit check is fine, i can pass that one, haha.

Well my situation isnt that bad. Just a little legal issue so i probably wont be driving for the next 6 months, except to work and back.

G Man

Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
You're gonna rent a car when your driver's license is suspended??? I have NO advice for you...

Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Suspended license have an accident= lawsuit= jailtime.
Get pulled over for a ticket = serious troubles.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Once again. Please dont judge. I asked a question. You dont know my situation. Thanks to the other posters for the responses.

G Man

Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post

G Man
Yes. The major agencies can access your driving record very quickly and often do.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:23 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Hmmm I would be careful it's a crap shoot & pray you don't get into an accident because you are toast;

Another surprise you may discover at the rental counter is that many companies now check your driving record before giving you the keys to a car. You might not find out this is happening when you hand over your driver's license, but most agencies disclose it somewhere on their Web site. (When I rented a car from Thrifty in Michigan last summer, I had to sign a form acknowledging I had been told about this policy.)

(A friend found out his driver's license had been suspended — for unpaid parking tickets — when he tried to pick up a rental car, even before the D.M.V. notice arrived.)

Avoiding Surprises at the Car Rental Counter - New York Times

Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the info. Perhaps ill have to try something else.

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel