Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:04 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times

Advertisements

My last three Europe trips I've done with just a 48L backpack. It's not hard. I think I packed my entire bag in 25 minutes.

Here's my packing list for my last euro trip to Spain:

• Extra pair of jeans
  • 6 pairs of underwear
  • 5 short-sleeved shirts
  • 2 long sleeved shirts
  • 2 pairs of running shorts
  • Running shoes
  • 6 pairs of socks
  • Passport
  • Sunglasses
  • Toiletry kit with Toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, comb, deodorant, 100ml hair/body wash, 100ml laundry detergent
  • 8" Dell Tablet with bluetooth keyboard
  • Camera
  • 1x USB charger that can charge my phone, tablet and camera
  • US to EU plug adapter
  • Noise cancelling earbuds
  • Draw-string bag for day trips
  • Water bottle

I think that was about it. Had a decent amount of excess room too. Did laundry in the sink every 4 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,791,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Did laundry in the sink every 4 days.
Here is where you lose me and I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. One of the things that I don't want to do while on vacation is dealing with laundry, especially if it is of the hand washing or going to the laundromat variety. I know it more efficient but like some people choose to spend a little more for a better room, I would rather lug around a bigger bag, especially if I'm likely to be in the same location for my entire trip. I will take things like how often I'll have to pack and unpack or bag fees into consideration but if I'm going to be in one hotel room for my entire stay then I'd rather bring along more options.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:10 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Here is where you lose me and I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. One of the things that I don't want to do while on vacation is dealing with laundry, especially if it is of the hand washing or going to the laundromat variety. I know it more efficient but like some people choose to spend a little more for a better room, I would rather lug around a bigger bag, especially if I'm likely to be in the same location for my entire trip. I will take things like how often I'll have to pack and unpack or bag fees into consideration but if I'm going to be in one hotel room for my entire stay then I'd rather bring along more options.
I was in Europe for 12 days. Do I really need to bring 12 pairs of underwear and 12 shirts though? I generally just wash stuff in the sink since it takes at most 5 minutes, and let them air dry, but a number of hostels have the option for 5€ or so to use the machine. Actually, one of the places gave me a mesh bag and said they'd drop it off in the evening with clean clothes.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
I hand wash my lingerie at home, it's no different on vacation. Everything else I send out, unless we have a villa with a washer/dryer. In that case it takes under five minutes to pop a load in to the washer, then the dryer, then fold and put away. I usually start a load at night, put it in the dryer in the morning, and fold and put away just before we leave for the day.

I'm going to guess you don't travel to Europe where it's difficult at best to haul multiple bags onto trains and taxis to/from airports cost a fortune. On top of that some flats/hotels have no lift, sidewalks are often cobblestone, and it's pretty well impossible to drag a couple suitcases along.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I was in Europe for 12 days. Do I really need to bring 12 pairs of underwear and 12 shirts though? I generally just wash stuff in the sink since it takes at most 5 minutes, and let them air dry, but a number of hostels have the option for 5€ or so to use the machine. Actually, one of the places gave me a mesh bag and said they'd drop it off in the evening with clean clothes.
For a trip that long I won't expect someone to pack enough to go without washing for the entire trip. However not everyone goes away for that long and I'm sure more people are staying a places between a hostel that provides saundry service and a villa that has it's own washer and dryer. Like I said, when deciding what to pack I'll take things into consideration and pack accordingly. When I go on a girls trip to Vegas I knowingly overpack, my suitcase is nearly at the weight limit but I want to have options. This isn't a problem for me because I know that my bag is free, I don't have to handle my bag that much after I drop it off at baggage check, the only time I have to deal with it is from the the baggage claim to the rental facility bus, to the car. After that it'll be in the hands of the bellman and I'm happy to tip for the convenience. Now when packing for my 10 day trip to Europe, I know better than to pack that way but for my 6 day trip to the UAE I'm packing as if I'm not going to do laundry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I hand wash my lingerie at home, it's no different on vacation. Everything else I send out, unless we have a villa with a washer/dryer. In that case it takes under five minutes to pop a load in to the washer, then the dryer, then fold and put away. I usually start a load at night, put it in the dryer in the morning, and fold and put away just before we leave for the day.

I'm going to guess you don't travel to Europe where it's difficult at best to haul multiple bags onto trains and taxis to/from airports cost a fortune. On top of that some flats/hotels have no lift, sidewalks are often cobblestone, and it's pretty well impossible to drag a couple suitcases along.
While I haven't been to Europe yet I have traveled to Cayman where I've had to drag 2-3 50 lbs bags filled with items for family and the place we stay in is in the back of a mixed use building she owns so I have to walk down a narrow gravel walkway and haul the bag up a flight of steps to get to the apartment.

I also realize that traveling heavy is something that seems normal to me because I'm used to being around family members who take the absolute max with them when they are going back home. There was one year when my mom decided to take advantage of 8 people flying up for Christmas so in addition to their usual bag within a bag ploy for everyone she also brought a 7 ft christmas tree (in 3 sections), 2 planters, 3 hanging lanterns with stands, and a full sized rocking chair. I'm still in awe that they let all that stuff onto a commercial flight.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
While I haven't been to Europe yet I have traveled to Cayman where I've had to drag 2-3 50 lbs bags filled with items for family and the place we stay in is in the back of a mixed use building she owns so I have to walk down a narrow gravel walkway and haul the bag up a flight of steps to get to the apartment.
Apples to oranges.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:47 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
I've lugged a larger-than-carryon suitcase all over Europe. On my last trip to Paris I had to put it in the elevator, then run up four flights because both of us wouldn't fit.

It's a pain, but not the end of the world. The place it's really a nuisance is on a crowded subway, but that's true of home, too.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Apples to oranges.
How so when we are both talking about the struggle of hauling heavy bags in a location with no elevators to help you get to your accommodations and the walkways that aren't smooth so it's difficult to roll a bag. Other than Europe has the advantage of trains and busses widely available whereas even getting to the car rental offices in Cayman requires a short walk with your luggage on a cart. I can't speak to the expense of cabs in Cayman since I never use them

Old 02-25-2015, 04:31 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:

Right. And, while many people may have no problem carrying a larger bag so as to not have to do laundry while traveling, doing so would mean significantly higher baggage fees for those of us who are flying on a budget airline that charges for checked luggage, even on international trips. For instance, on my most recent (January) trip to Oslo and London, I flew Norwegian Airlines on a budget ticket. While I was able to carry a 20 pound carry-on, anything over would have required a $50 fee per way (and I booked two round-trip tickets, so that would've meant an extra $200).

While I ultimately was able to fit everything in my carry-on bag without short-cutting myself (I do the military-style packing to save space), I can't see myself spending extra money to save from doing sink laundry before bed (you're literally spending a few minutes scrubbing before bed!). Even if my ticket included a larger checked bag without extra charge, I would probably still stick to what I do now as I hate the hassle of checking and lugging around a large bag.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 02-25-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
How so when we are both talking about the struggle of hauling heavy bags in a location with no elevators to help you get to your accommodations and the walkways that aren't smooth so it's difficult to roll a bag. Other than Europe has the advantage of trains and busses widely available whereas even getting to the car rental offices in Cayman requires a short walk with your luggage on a cart. I can't speak to the expense of cabs in Cayman since I never use them
You think there is a subway or bus on every corner? Just getting from the train station or bus to your hotel could be a 10 block walk. Using the subway could require going up and down a couple flights of stairs. The trains generally require stepping up a couple of steep, narrow stairs, and there are no porters or carts to help. I've been to the Caymans. Cabs are cheap and door to door, and for a few extra bucks the driver will usually assist with bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel