Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would sitting at a pool at a beach resort be relaxing?
YES, I would be in heaven! 18 12.68%
Maybe, but only for a couple of days 31 21.83%
If I could find some good books and mixed drinks 25 17.61%
NO, it would be boring as hell! 68 47.89%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 AM

229 posts, read 585,179 times

Advertisements

Boring! I want to be going places and seeing things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Generally, besides my favorite pasttimes of running and cycling, all I really want to do is sit and be idle. Poolside preferably. With good looking females.

this seems like a no-brainer to me

Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I hate that stuff. I prefer to go places, exploring. But each person has their view of what vacation time should be used for. If the folks like resting by the pool/beach then enjoy.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I'd be perfectly content to sit beside the ocean for a week and do a little swimming, people watching. In fact I just did that for a week to warm up a little.

Sometimes I'll take a day to read by the pool mid-vacation to catch my breath. Depends on how new the area is to me and what there is to do and see. I think some people like to be waited on during their vacations and I understand that if they are still working. But I find the constant interruptions by wait staff to be annoying and I've never liked to be crowded in with a lot of other people.

Vacations are all about geography, wildlife and culture for me. The rest is incidental.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:43 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
I just can't sit there and bake..would rather be lurking through town....

Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
I have learned we DO need to slow down a bit at our ages and with our handicapped bodies, but I WOULD GO STIR CRAZY!

It IS nice to not have anything to do, but not so nice after a few hours of it.

I have learned to allow 2 days on for go-go on vacation/one day off for "relaxing by the pool" so to speak.

There also will be fewer or no more things like long walks, long hikes, or climbing volcanoes anymore.

My bad back, hip and knee and my spouses' bad hip limits us now. BUt we can still go and go-go, instead of go-go-go!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
We've had the discussion many years ago about an ideal but realistic vacation. Greece and Mexico came off the list some years ago.

I need to explore and enjoy ruins and learning. My partner does, too, but she's more of a beach
person. We will take our last vacation within a year. We're in Western N.C. now. So, we'll
be looking at the FL Keys hopefully around November. We have to drive because our dog ("hearing"/"signal" for me) will join us and he a long little guy, so driving is best. My partner will do the beach and my
big expense will be going deep sea fishing. We love kayaking and being with nature. FL in the off season is lovely.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:02 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
That would drive me insane. I often feel like a racehorse trapped at the starting gate and it takes total exhaustion to get me to slow down and relax. I'll be the one walking on the beach for miles. See you at sunset.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 PM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have learned we DO need to slow down a bit at our ages and with our handicapped bodies, but I WOULD GO STIR CRAZY!

It IS nice to not have anything to do, but not so nice after a few hours of it.

I have learned to allow 2 days on for go-go on vacation/one day off for "relaxing by the pool" so to speak.

There also will be fewer or no more things like long walks, long hikes, or climbing volcanoes anymore.

My bad back, hip and knee and my spouses' bad hip limits us now. BUt we can still go and go-go, instead of go-go-go!
Loved your write up despite some of the sadness. But we're in a similar boat. Our backyard is an arms length away from Biltmore Forest which leads to the Blue Ridge Mnts and Parkway. We walk back there and as we've hit the older age, we just are very careful about how much we do while still trying to maintain some sort of physical shape. I would go stir crazy on a beach. My partner is finally looking into having what will hopefully be minor surgery on a knee that has bothered her since walking down a volcano in Hawaii over 30 years ago. She'll be limited. If I know what's good for me, I should be limited as well. The only way I'd last on a beach these days is if we had a Scrabble game with us (and we used to do that).

Old 02-26-2015, 01:10 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
I like hanging out at the beach or the pool.
A week twice a year is pushing it, but I could probably do 5 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel