Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 PM

54 posts, read 311,955 times

Advertisements

So I just graduated from college about a month ago. I have been looking for jobs a little bit, and it's frustrating. Then the other day I saw some elderly people at the store with walkers, and for some reason it got me thinking that this is the time of my life when I WILL be able to do something I want, to leave on a whim, I want to do something, I am 23 and don't have to answer to anyone (except my gf) and I live w/ my parents(which is bad only because I will have to tell them I am going somewhere and here their responses.) Anyways, I am in Ohio and I love traveling. I was just in vegas a couple months ago, and then in SF last month. Anyways, I feel like I need to clear my mind and drive somewhere. The problem is I don't want to spend a lot of money (although I don't want to stay in hostels) and am not sure exactly where I want to head. I have driven to san diego before, and don't want to go that route again. I was thinking maybe driving west, or east. I have driven to florida so many times that it doesn't really appeal to me right now. I wanted to go with someone, but as most of my friends are still in school or are working, and so is my gf, I will probably be going alone. I love driving alone. Anyways, does anyone have any tips of where to go or what you have done if you were in my situation before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 PM

35 posts, read 148,491 times
Go to Mexico dude.. it's great down there.. Baja/Pacific Coasts are off the chain gorgeous.. take your gf and you'll have a very romantic and affordable trip.. except for Gas/Tolls which ARE NOT cheap right now...

Go to Arizona, drive through Nogales, and just head south, I recommend skipping the major cities like Mazatlan/Puerto Vallarta and just hitting up the smaller fishing villages, you can find supercheap lodging and great food... learn some spanish, try surfing, fly a kite for chrisssakes!.. you can do it.. it's simple

Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Nothing like a drive to Anchorage to clear your head.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:57 PM

54 posts, read 311,955 times
thanks for the quick replies, I have been to mexico and have vowed never to go again (personal preference) and I would like to stay in the continental united states. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
Maybe the Northeast or the southeast, say Tennessee and the Carolinas. I would suggest maybe going to Texas, if are are thinking of right now. The weather would be decent, you can find lots to do, I would recommend maybe San Antonio.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
How about doing something like Route 66, just to say you've done it? A friend of mine did this after he graduated from college; gave himself 6 weeks, stayed with fraternity brothers or friends all across the way, otherwise cheap motels. Said he would have never traded the experience for anything. Another option is a short stint in Americorps-it's like the Peace Corps except you stay in the US, get paid, loan forgiveness, health insurance and a ton of experience!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM

35 posts, read 148,491 times
Mexico is a large country with a diverse landscape and climate, as well as some very distinct cultures. Giving up on it at your (young?) age is pretty crazy.. not saying you should force yourself to go, but it's proximity and low-cost should at least implore you to give it a second chance.....

If I visited the US once, and went to Orlando and New Orleans, I might think the entire country sucked, but I wouldn't be right would I?

Florida and SoCal are both such tired destinations.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Go with your interests. Like if you are a hoops fan, go to games in a bunch of different places. Or if you're a movie buff, visit offbeat movie settings. Or settings from your favorite books.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,551 times
Get yourself a Lets Go USA. It is winter. I would not do the ALCAN now. Too bad it is not summer.

The USA is fantastic. Buy yourself a cheap tent, sleeping bag and stove. Take your time. Take a digital camera and laptop. Take notes. Don't rush.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Her

298 posts, read 868,727 times
I agree with Maf. I'm three semesters away and I plan to plot out a series of concerts I want to go to along any given route and drive away. Im getting a VW van so I can just crash there until i REALLY need a shower. I will be alone as well but it should be a good time. Id try the theme thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel