Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Aeroflot is a really cheap airline! Any particular reason for it?

When I look into flights coming from Asia to Europe, AEROFLOT routinely is significantly cheaper than any other airline.

The standards used to be quite low, but I've heard its changed quite a bit in recent years. The prices don't seem to reflect that however.

Why do you think its so cheap? Does it reflect the safety or quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 04:05 AM

750 posts, read 907,935 times
(Old planes + Low quality of service + Poor salaries) x Dumping = Aeroflot.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
(Old planes + Low quality of service + Poor salaries) x Dumping = Aeroflot.
Aeroflot's fleet is among the newest in the world, coming in at on average under 5 years old. United Airlines though has a fleet age average of over 12 years, and US airlines in general have some of the oldest fleets in the developed world.

Quality of service is subjective, I have had nothing but great service with them, but I cannot recall having poor service with any airline. All airlines however have complaints from people regarding service.

OP - Aeroflot is cheap due to a variety of factors, the same factors as to why all airlines have different pricing. Even something as simple as fuel contracts can greatly impact the price.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:48 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Aeroflot is a really cheap airline! Any particular reason for it?

When I look into flights coming from Asia to Europe, AEROFLOT routinely is significantly cheaper than any other airline.

The standards used to be quite low, but I've heard its changed quite a bit in recent years. The prices don't seem to reflect that however.

Why do you think its so cheap? Does it reflect the safety or quality?
It targets mostly Russians who try to spare money when flying back home.
Foreign air companies are aware of that by the way.
The last I've checked - it would be much cheaper to me to fly to Moscow from the US via, say, Amsterdam with Dutch company, than to fly from the US to Amsterdam.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:07 PM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
I've flown Aeroflot many times. It's a perfectly fine airline. It's also part of Skyteam which is in the same alliance as Delta and KLM and the flights are often codeshared.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:26 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Yes. It's functioning on a (post-) Soviet economy, so it's dirt cheap. I've flown Aeroflot countless times. It's fine. In some respects, you actually get better service on it. As long as you're not taking an internal flight originating in Moscow, haha!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Flown Aeroflot dozens of times, international and internal and really had no problems. Service was standard/adequate. I must say though the Tupolevs I flew on in the 90s were basic no frills cattle cars, the extra leg room being a plus. They were cold and noisy. I didn't pay for the ticket but I heard from the boss they were in fact pretty expensive.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Aeroflot's fleet is among the newest in the world, coming in at on average under 5 years old. United Airlines though has a fleet age average of over 12 years, and US airlines in general have some of the oldest fleets in the developed world.

Quality of service is subjective, I have had nothing but great service with them, but I cannot recall having poor service with any airline. All airlines however have complaints from people regarding service.

OP - Aeroflot is cheap due to a variety of factors, the same factors as to why all airlines have different pricing. Even something as simple as fuel contracts can greatly impact the price.
Your post was the turning point for a pro-Aeroflot thread.

Another interesting aside, is it looks like Russia is now giving visa-free for those transits. So, might be able to spend 12-15 hours or so in Moscow visa-free, and poke around a bit. A nice added addition!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Aeroflot has old planes and poorly paid workers, plus you're relying on a third world dictatorship to get you home safely.

That said, I have taken Aeroflot, and it was OK, and I would probably take it again, because I'm cheap, and they have a good safety record.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
It's not the best but definitely not the worst airline I've flown on. Service is adequate and probably quite friendly by Russian standards. Sheremetyevo is a dump of an airport considering it's the flagship airport of one of the world's most important countries.

One thing that irritates me is they only allow lounge access for SkyTeam Gold members on international flights. I can access the lounge for a < 2 hour flight to Estonia but not for an 9 hour flight to Vladivostok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel