Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 03:07 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

First Passenger Flight to Antarctica Makes Historic Landing on Glacial Runway

WILKINS RUNWAY, Antarctica — Australian scientists landed on an ice runway in Antarctica on Friday, officially opening a new air link between Australia and the white continent.

FOXNews.com - First Passenger Flight to Antarctica Makes Historic Landing on Glacial Runway - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Very bad news for Antarctica and the Environment. Such a precious and unique ecosystem in as pristine a condition as we could hope for with our modern world , already in pretty poor shape and now this...

Really, really sad news. It seems nowhere is sacred.

The harder to get to it the better IMO.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
It reminds me of the cruise ships going to the Galapagos.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
It reminds me of the cruise ships going to the Galapagos.

Yep ! I went there by sail-boat from Ecuador over 20 years ago and the guidelines were so incredibly strict ( justifiably so considering the uniqueness of the eco-system , amazing Flora and Fauna) and now it seems open doors for anyone.
One airborne virus could wipe millions of years of evolution in days. Is that a price we are willing to pay to feel we have "done" the planet ?

I think we should "deserve" those places. Make is as hard for people to get to them so that only people who truly will appreciate it can get there. It sounds harsh and exclusive , I know but we have to leave something unique and sacred on our planet.

Mass market tourism is just an environmental and cultural nightmare. Most people will "tick" places off some spurious list rather than coming to a true understanding about the Natural and Cultural wonders of the world.
It is just so sad.

When will we realise that the saying "extinct is forever" is not just a Tree-Hugging feel good mantra but plain common sense ?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I think that the title of this thread is misleading. This is not something open to tourists.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that the title of this thread is misleading. This is not something open to tourists.
Yes but still the impact of making it more available via a commercial airline is bound to be a negative one. It will start with only scientists, then journalists, then only a selected few "average joes" who will pay the required amount, then the flood-gates will open to anyone with a buck to spend.

Plus I would have thought a commercial airline's environmental impact in terms of emission, runway , equipment needed etc.. would be pretty awful.

I have sadly learnt that we humans can never stop once we are in motion. The lure will be too strong.

I had been under the impression that the whole point of having Antarctica declared a sanctuary was to keep it off limits to such ventures.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 PM

Can't argue with that, Mooseketeer...they've already had tour ships there for awhile...

The environmental impact of tourism in Antarctica

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Can't argue with that, Mooseketeer...they've already had tour ships there for awhile...

The environmental impact of tourism in Antarctica
I know but I am really worried it is only going to get worse. We just need to preserve some of the uniqueness of our planet and are doing such a poor job of it.
Making it so easy to access can only be bad news.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 PM

At least there are provisions against Princess et al slapping up resorts there...though I wouldn't doubt they are looking for ways around that right now. I absolutely agree with everything you've said.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
At least there are provisions against Princess et al slapping up resorts there...though I wouldn't doubt they are looking for ways around that right now. I absolutely agree with everything you've said.
Thank goodness for that ! What a horrible thought the idea of high-rise resorts in Antarctica with covered shopping malls for all our consumerist needs and fake touristy crap sold on every iceberg ! I think I might just chain myself to some cruise-ship as a protest for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel