Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:31 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

I've just returned from a two-month trip to Fiji, Australia, and New Zealand and used a similar "trick" to book my travel within those countries. It was always cheaper to pay in the local currencies.

Use a Fake Location to Get Cheaper Plane Tickets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM

580 posts, read 777,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I've just returned from a two-month trip to Fiji, Australia, and New Zealand and used a similar "trick" to book my travel within those countries. It was always cheaper to pay in the local currencies.

FWIW if you goto the original article (Use a Fake Location to Get Cheaper International Tickets), in the comments it is stated that many of these fares are restricted to citizens of the respective country (Columbia, Argentina, etc), and several of these flag carriers check passports when checking in.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

Not quite my idea of honesty.Sorry but I just wouldn't do it plus if one gets caught it can create a heck of a mess.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
In China it is cheaper to use the Chinese language version rather than the English language version of local websites even when one is actually located in China.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
There was a currency conversion mistake on United's web site a few weeks back where you could get a ticket for about 1/10 of the usual price if you lived in Denmark and selected the krone as the payment currency. United refused to honor these fares even though they'll usually honor mistake fares without complaint because they said that the tickets had been purchased fraudulently and the DOT was okay with that even though they also usually encourage airlines to honor mistake fares.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not quite my idea of honesty.Sorry but I just wouldn't do it plus if one gets caught it can create a heck of a mess.
Are you referring specifically to the article or my details? If the latter, then tell me what's dishonest about paying for fares in a country's local currency?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Are you referring specifically to the article or my details? If the latter, then tell me what's dishonest about paying for fares in a country's local currency?
Some people think it would be "dishonest" to figure out a way to get two Sham-Wows for only one shipping and handling cost.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I'm OK with it as long as I'm not breaking any laws, etc. The way I see it, people should be free to use any cheaper method of booking, etc. that is publicly available. This reminds me of the the recent effort by the airline industry to sue a young man who founded a website that helps flyers find cheaper flights via "hidden city" connections (for those readers who are unfamiliar with the practice, this is when you buy a ticket to Chicago with a layover in NY with no intention of actually going all the way to Chicago . . . this ticket may very well be significantly cheaper than flying directly to NY). Airline sues man for founding a cheap flights website The airlines are going to lose that case (as they should) as all the man is doing is publishing publicly available information (he's not hacking into any system, etc.). There's no issue with honesty here (you ultimately bought a ticket and are free to use that ticket as you wish, including getting off at the connecting city if you want . . . the airline cannot command you to go all the way to your "final destination").

Old 03-06-2015, 09:22 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In China it is cheaper to use the Chinese language version rather than the English language version of local websites even when one is actually located in China.
It's actually cheaper for Chinese citizens as I recall, I think it's a government mandate. But that's all easily verifiable by the airlines and Chinese big brother.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm OK with it as long as I'm not breaking any laws, etc. The way I see it, people should be free to use any cheaper method of booking, etc. that is publicly available. This reminds me of the the recent effort by the airline industry to sue a young man who founded a website that helps flyers find cheaper flights via "hidden city" connections (for those readers who are unfamiliar with the practice, this is when you buy a ticket to Chicago with a layover in NY with no intention of actually going all the way to Chicago . . . this ticket may very well be significantly cheaper than flying directly to NY). Airline sues man for founding a cheap flights website The airlines are going to lose that case (as they should) as all the man is doing is publishing publicly available information (he's not hacking into any system, etc.). There's no issue with honesty here (you ultimately bought a ticket and are free to use that ticket as you wish, including getting off at the connecting city if you want . . . the airline cannot command you to go all the way to your "final destination").
Not a lot of detail with that link but Airlines have a simple method to handling events were people drop of the last leg - they simply cancel their remaining flights, including your return flight. If it's a round trip ticket you are screwed....so the method only works for one-way travel...and 2 one-way tickets will usually be more expensive then a round trip ticket, so, it's eventually a self-defeating strategy in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel