Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:31 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times

Advertisements

The purpose of this thread is two-fold. I found out I'm going to Barcelona next month for a work trip. I'll probably have 1 full day, a half day, and 2 or 3 afternoons/evenings to explore. I first wanted to know if people could some suggest a few 'must do' things? I already have Parc Guell (spelling?) on my list. I would like to be able to buy a few souvenirs for family to include wine (Cava?).

Secondly, I wanted to know if any African American females on this board have traveled there before? I need the inside scoop on how we are treat there as I've been doing some research online and reading that Barcelona is quite racist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Barcelona literally received millions of tourists from all over the world and has a fairly large African community. You'll be fine.

As for sights: try a good guidebook (say, lonely planet city guides) or wikitravel.org

Old 03-13-2015, 03:18 AM

502 posts, read 655,194 times
check tripadvisor barcelona forum . Those people have a ton of info on what to do in barcelona. Anyway, with such a short time, you will have to choose a couple of highlights. I would recommend 4/5 full days in barcelona to get a fair feeling of the city.

as for racism, i would say you could find an occassional jerk like in any other place, but it is not common. barcelona is a big city and you get all races and faiths. And also there are millions of tourists from everywhere going there every year, so everyone is used to anything.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
I just came back from Barcelona. Honestly I don't recollect seeing many black people, but it was off season and like pointed out, Barcelona is such a huge touristic destination and being black won't be a problem for you (I am Asian).

As to recommendations, I did Park Guell on the first day I was there as unlike other attractions, it is a bit out of the day. You need to take the subway and walk for a good ten minutes plus a lot of stairs. I suggest you buy ticket online in advance as the line may be long, and the ticket will indicate the time you can enter - it might not be right after you get the ticket. I waited for more than half an hour to be allowed in. Honestly I wasn't too impressed by the Park and wouldn't regret if I didn't go. Honestly if time is limited, you may consider skipping it and focus on the old city.

Sagrada Familia is a must see of course. Make sure you buy tickets online in advance otherwise you might wait for an hour or more in line.
St Pau Hospital is magnificent. Many people don't realize how beautiful it is as a hospital, definitely check it out.
Picasso Museum. I am not a museum person, but I enjoyed the visit.
Casa Mila, it is just a house but very impressive, especially the roof top. A bit pricey.
Casa Batllo, another Gaudi product. I didn't go, maybe next time.

The Gothic quarter itself is fascinating with so many historical sites for you to explore. and the small alleys are mesmerizing. Definitely check out the Catedral - so much history happened there. Picasso Museum is in it too.

Les Rambles are world famous, but it is extremely tourist oriented. It is still worth going and I don't recommend spending too much time there, or dine there. Too many tourist traps. I spent about an hour walking down the famous street.

Surprisingly Barcelona's waterfront is very nice and walkable too. I went in Feb and saw surfers.

I also highly recommend a walking tour led by a local guide. It is usually free but you decide to tip the guild in the end. It is a very efficient and educational way to see a city. I do it in most historical cities.

Be extremely alert about pickpockets AT ALL TIME. It is the thing with Barcelona. The city itself is safe but pretty thefts can be very annoying if you lose your passport or wallet.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Google black travel blogs

Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
The purpose of this thread is two-fold. I found out I'm going to Barcelona next month for a work trip. I'll probably have 1 full day, a half day, and 2 or 3 afternoons/evenings to explore. I first wanted to know if people could some suggest a few 'must do' things? I already have Parc Guell (spelling?) on my list. I would like to be able to buy a few souvenirs for family to include wine (Cava?).

Secondly, I wanted to know if any African American females on this board have traveled there before? I need the inside scoop on how we are treat there as I've been doing some research online and reading that Barcelona is quite racist
Check out the Nomadness group on facebook, you have to go through an online bootcamp to be able to join but it is a large (over 9K members) group of mostly African-Americans dedicated to travel. They will be able to give you an idea of what to expect. My old roommate went to Barcelona while she was studying abroad in Madrid and found that Africans may have issues but African-Americans were treated well

Old 03-18-2015, 05:13 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
The color of your skin is irrelevant in Spain, the color of your money (green) is what matters.
Boticelli covered the must do's. I would add, if time is short, Barcelona has one of those convenient double decker tourist buses that visit all the sights and you can get off and on.
The walking tour - I can't remember the link but one group offers free tours with a certain theme (i.e. history or art) that last a few hours. You tip them at the end what you feel the tour is worth. Our was excellent, and incidently given by a young American lady/person of color.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The color of your skin is irrelevant in Spain
The color of your skin is rarely "irrelevant" when you obviously stand out from the natives.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I had to check my handbag at the Dali museum. It held so much I needed I almost left rather than leave it, but nothing happened to cause a problem.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The color of your skin is rarely "irrelevant" when you obviously stand out from the natives.
Spaniards will see her as an American before her skin color. We stick out like a sore thumb from the African immigrants in Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel