Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Inverness and Fort William have very little of tourist interest; they're just towns that serve the local population with shopping, transportation facilities, etc. Kyle is barely a place much less a "city" these days, now that a bridge to Skye has removed the need for a ferry.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are world cities with an immense range of things to see and do. They have historic sites, castles, cathedrals, museums, music and food options galore... And each merits some research on your part; a sound bite answer is woefully inadequate.

How long do you have for the trip, do you have a car, what are your interests, your budget, and, frankly, your reasons for going there?
The trip is about twelve days. We are planing to use public transports(train, bus).
Pubs and clubs are not on our list. We are open to pretty much everything else.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It would help if we knew a little about your interests- oh I see someone else mentioned that, but it's true!

One thing, and I don't want to put a damper on things, but if you're looking to head out into the wilds be aware of pesky midges. This year is predicted to be a bumper year for them.
Pubs and clubs are not on our list. We are open to everything else pretty much.
Thanks,

Old 03-17-2015, 02:57 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
Family (the youngest in 24 years old) planing to visit the following five cities in June;
what would you suggest (things to see, to do...no bars, night clubs please) ?
  1. Inverness
  2. Glasgow
  3. Edinburgh
  4. Fort William
  5. Kyle of Lochalsh

Thanks!
1. Inverness. Not much in the town. However, nearby Culloden is very interesting and you are not far from Speyside with its distilleries. You don't need to drink but interesting to see how they work.

2. Glasgow. The Transport Museum and the Art Galleries are both very good. If the weather is fine then visit Kelvingrove Park, the Botanic Gardens or the Art Galleries. Glasgow also has excellent shopping and the West End is a great example of Victorian residential architecture.

3. Edinburgh. The castle, the Royal Mile and the old town are all must sees. If the weather is fine then a hike up Arthur's Seat for great views over the city on the Forth. Also the 'New Town' for its Georgian architecture.

4. Fort Willian. Really nothing there. But a great center for hiking and hill walking. If weather is good try climbing Ben Nevis the highest mountain in the UK.

5. Kyle of Lochalsh. Nothing there either. Go over the Bridge to Skye. Portree is worth a visit and, if the weather is decent, there is some excellent walking.

In Inverness, Fort Willian and Kyle of Lochalsh you really need transport. I would rent a car.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:58 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
You might want to look into day trip bus tours from Edinburgh - you can get to the west coast, see some gorgeous scenery along the way, have a meal or two (sometimes included), learn some history, and not have to drive. It's been a while, but such trips were reasonably priced when I visited there a number of years ago, and we certainly got our money's worth.

Loch Ness is just south of Inverness, as its name indicates. Not the prettiest loch, but certainly one of the most interesting, and scenic Urquhart Castle is on its banks.

Speaking of banks - and braes - Loch Lomond is just north of Glasgow, and IS very scenic.

The rhododendrons, wild foxgloves, and yellow flags should be in bloom in the highlands, and Scotland boasts beautiful gardens of all sizes as well.

If pubs are out, look into dining at small hotels or inns. Pub gardens might be a good compromise, if the weather cooperates. You do NOT have to order alcohol in a pub - soft drinks, tea, coffee, and plain water are all available (though ice is another matter). Also check out local bakeries for unique and delicious regional Scottish treats. You can purchase rolls and cheese and a pickle or other savory for a quick picnic lunch.

I once found a small courtyard restaurant along the Royal Mile which offered delicious light al fresco lunches, and enjoyed "bramble pudding" (blackberry cobbler) and a glass of milk at a rural inn west of Fort William many summers ago - even walked a short distance to watch a nearby sheep-shearing at the latter place.

There are "taste of Scotland" evenings available in Edinburgh, with pipe music, singing, dancing, and traditional food and drink. Whisky is available but not obligatory at all at such dinners, which are a bit corny but still fun (much like American Burns Night celebrations).

Also look for local fairs and activities that don't usually draw tourists - you'd be welcome and would get a feel for what the locals enjoy. Look for events which feature traditional music and dance, too.

The daylight hours will be very long in June, especially in Inverness, so plan to take walks during the long evenings after dinner. Great time to climb Arthur's Seat (an extinct volcano overlooking the Edinburgh University campus), walk along the Royal Mile, etc., then return during business hours to see whatever looks interesting.

Dress in light layers and carry a folding umbrella for unexpected downpours. Make sure you all have good walking shoes. Scotland's woolens are world-famous, rightfully so, and can be purchased reasonable at woolen mill outlet shops. You can ship them home to save on luggage - or wear them!

Read and learn all you can before your trip, and see a travel agent for additional material. Scotland is beautiful, and I hope you enjoy your visit there.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:13 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,811 times
Just to clarify pubs. Some pubs are indeed primarily drinking places. Other pubs are family friendly and serve decently priced (and sometimes quite good) food and where you can have a drink with a meal. I wouldn't rule out a pub just because it's a pub. We took our children into pubs for light meals frequently while traveling in the UK.

If you're relying on public transportation, a good route to see some of the west coast is to take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, then up to Oban, take the ferry over to Mull, a bus across Mull to Iona and a ferry to Iona itself. Yes, you're probably thinking, wow, a lot of steps, but it takes you through a glorious part of Scotland (Glasgow to Iona) and Iona is an especially special island. The route is neatly aligned in the sense that the next step is almost always right after you arrive so there's minimal time wasted.

The train journey from Glasgow to Mallaig via Fort William is spectacular. Mallaig is a jumping point to the Hebrides and I'd personally prefer going to the Hebrides over Inverness.

Skye is another wonderful island to visit, off Fort William.

If you're based in Edinburgh for a few days and want to take day trips from the capital, you can take the train to Blair Castle in Perthshire. Stunning Scottish castle, stunning countryside. It does require an exchange to a second line.

Another spectacular castle but this time ruins is Dunnottar Castle. Easily reachable by train from Edinburgh to Stonehaven, plus a bit of a walk from the station to the castle itself. It's perched over the North Sea, and wow, is it dramatic.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Just to clarify pubs. Some pubs are indeed primarily drinking places. Other pubs are family friendly and serve decently priced (and sometimes quite good) food and where you can have a drink with a meal. I wouldn't rule out a pub just because it's a pub. We took our children into pubs for light meals frequently while traveling in the UK.

If you're relying on public transportation, a good route to see some of the west coast is to take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, then up to Oban, take the ferry over to Mull, a bus across Mull to Iona and a ferry to Iona itself. Yes, you're probably thinking, wow, a lot of steps, but it takes you through a glorious part of Scotland (Glasgow to Iona) and Iona is an especially special island. The route is neatly aligned in the sense that the next step is almost always right after you arrive so there's minimal time wasted.

The train journey from Glasgow to Mallaig via Fort William is spectacular. Mallaig is a jumping point to the Hebrides and I'd personally prefer going to the Hebrides over Inverness.

Skye is another wonderful island to visit, off Fort William.

If you're based in Edinburgh for a few days and want to take day trips from the capital, you can take the train to Blair Castle in Perthshire. Stunning Scottish castle, stunning countryside. It does require an exchange to a second line.

Another spectacular castle but this time ruins is Dunnottar Castle. Easily reachable by train from Edinburgh to Stonehaven, plus a bit of a walk from the station to the castle itself. It's perched over the North Sea, and wow, is it dramatic.
The ferry from Mallaig also takes you over to Skye. A very pretty trip and nicer than the Kyle of Lochalsh route. Mallaig itself is a nice little fishing port. Just before you get to Mallaig there is Morar with its spectacular white sand beaches and dunes. Scenes from Local Hero and Highlander were filmed there. There is also Loch Morar which, allegedly, also has a monster; Morag.

I still think the OP should be renting a car outside of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM

223 posts, read 321,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
3. Edinburgh. The castle, the Royal Mile and the old town are all must sees. If the weather is fine then a hike up Arthur's Seat for great views over the city on the Forth. Also the 'New Town' for its Georgian architecture.
Agreed. We traveled around Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland a couple of years ago and I fell in love with Edinburgh. I would love to go back sometime, although not during the Festival, which is when we were there. We hiked up to Arthur's Seat - I was huffing and puffing but my husband was fine and there were joggers around. If you're fit, it's worthwhile. We also did more than just hike straight to the top, we kind of meandered around for a bit before finding the right trail. We did that in the morning and it took a LOT out of me, so I was pretty wiped the rest of the day (it was our fourth and last day in Edinburgh and I was ready to move on by that point), but I'm so glad we had the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel