Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:31 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to Paris for the third week of May, and will be staying a full week.

I'd like to ask the opinion of those who are familiar with the city about things to do (other than the obvious "touristy" attractions) and what to expect during my stay there.

I'll be renting an apartment in the 9th Arrondisment, so I'll be in a centrally located area, with the advantage of being able to cook a lot of my meals in the apartment. Unfortunately, myself and my travelling partner do not speak French, other than a few basic phrases - hopefully this won't be too much of a problem (I do plan on saying "bonjour" a lot...lol.) I've never been, neither has my partner.

I have been to Quebec and loved it - the people were awesome, and the lack of French-speaking ability wasn't too much of a problem, although there were a few amusing moments at times (like being handed a menu with pictures on it...lol.) Are there many similarities between Paris and Quebec City (other than size, etc?) Are there areas of Paris we should avoid? What are some good day trips to outlying towns? How does the cost of things compare to big cities in North America? (I'm assuming the lower value of the Euro will be a big help in this regard.)

We plan on using the bicycle system they have there - that seems like a neat way to get around the city, but is it dangerous to ride among the cars, etc? I do plan on using the Metro some, I've heard this is an excellent system to use. How are the crowds in mid-late May? Not too bad I hope - I've heard the summer months are terrible in this regard. I plan on buying tickets to the major attractions like the Louvre a day or two ahead of time - hopefully this will cut down on wait times.

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions and advice anyone can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:15 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm planning a trip to Paris for the third week of May, and will be staying a full week.

I'd like to ask the opinion of those who are familiar with the city about things to do (other than the obvious "touristy" attractions) and what to expect during my stay there.

I like art so I'd recommend you see the Louvre and the Orsay Museums, perhaps the Pompidou Center (modern art) as well. Do take a trip outside Paris to see the Palace of Versailles. Take the trip to Montmartre and stroll the streets where the famous artists once painted. Also, while you are there take a trip through the Sacre Coeur Cathedral. I didn't go to the Moulin Rouge, but its right at the bottom of Mont Martre and if I went there again, I might consider it. I would definitely do a walking tour down the Champ Elysees from the Arc de Triomph to the Plaza del Concorde. I enjoyed visiting the Army Museum. You might like a cruise on the Seine River. I might consider a day trip away from Paris towards Normandy.

I'll be renting an apartment in the 9th Arrondisment, so I'll be in a centrally located area, with the advantage of being able to cook a lot of my meals in the apartment. Unfortunately, myself and my travelling partner do not speak French, other than a few basic phrases - hopefully this won't be too much of a problem (I do plan on saying "bonjour" a lot...lol.) I've never been, neither has my partner.

Language was not a huge problem for us. However, I will say that most European countries use English more than it is used in France. You will find a number of merchants and people who either don't speak English (or pretend they don't speak it). It might help you to learn a little bit of French first if you are going to spend a week there.

I have been to Quebec and loved it - the people were awesome, and the lack of French-speaking ability wasn't too much of a problem, although there were a few amusing moments at times (like being handed a menu with pictures on it...lol.) Are there many similarities between Paris and Quebec City (other than size, etc?) Are there areas of Paris we should avoid? What are some good day trips to outlying towns? How does the cost of things compare to big cities in North America? (I'm assuming the lower value of the Euro will be a big help in this regard.)

There are similarities in terms of language and architecture. I think the people in Quebec realize that whether they like it or not, that they are surrounded by an ocean of English speaking people. As such, they tend to know more English and, if pressed, will speak it. France is a little more difficult. I think we all go through passages though. In my observation, the French are more friendly to Americans than they have been in the past. Any big city in this world is going to be expensive and Paris is no exception. We paid a lot for food, lodging, and souvenirs. However, there may be some slight improvement if the Euro's value stays down. I thought Paris might be on par with New York City (expensive). However, you are only spending a week there and when are you going to go back? You might as well splurge a little.

We plan on using the bicycle system they have there - that seems like a neat way to get around the city, but is it dangerous to ride among the cars, etc? I do plan on using the Metro some, I've heard this is an excellent system to use. How are the crowds in mid-late May? Not too bad I hope - I've heard the summer months are terrible in this regard. I plan on buying tickets to the major attractions like the Louvre a day or two ahead of time - hopefully this will cut down on wait times.

I can't really answer this question. I wouldn't be comfortable on a bicycle, but you might be. The crowds won't be as bad as latter in the summer.

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions and advice anyone can give.
Keep your valuables in a money belt. If you carry a wallet keep it in your front pocket and keep only a little cash in it.

Last edited by markg91359; 04-11-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Keep your valuables in a money belt. If you carry a wallet keep it in your front pocket and keep only a little cash in it.
Thanks for the info. I've already splurged on the accommodation, by springing for an actual apartment (it comes with a rooftop terrace too) - $1550 for the week, but I think it'll be worth it. It'll cut down on the need to eat out for every meal, so that'll help...lol. I plan on bringing a French cookbook and fixing some of that great French cuisine myself...lol. I plan on hitting thrift stores and out-of-the-way shops for shopping - should be both fun and economical. The apartment is close to Montmarte, so we'll be seeing that plenty. We'll do the major art museums, no doubt.

I've already got a money belt - I know you have watch for pickpockets and the like. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Euro falls to par with the USD by the time we go - it'd sure make it easy to figure how much things cost...lol.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Thanks for the info. I've already splurged on the accommodation, by springing for an actual apartment (it comes with a rooftop terrace too) - $1550 for the week, but I think it'll be worth it. It'll cut down on the need to eat out for every meal, so that'll help...lol. I plan on bringing a French cookbook and fixing some of that great French cuisine myself...lol. I plan on hitting thrift stores and out-of-the-way shops for shopping - should be both fun and economical. The apartment is close to Montmarte, so we'll be seeing that plenty. We'll do the major art museums, no doubt.

I've already got a money belt - I know you have watch for pickpockets and the like. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Euro falls to par with the USD by the time we go - it'd sure make it easy to figure how much things cost...lol.
you will be fine,, don't be afraid. my advice if you don't speak french don't try to. Most of them speak English but they wont show it. Bring a dictionary with you.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:24 AM

556 posts, read 946,500 times
Language should not be a problem. Knowing enough French to be polite will go a long way, from there you can communicate a lot through gestures and body language. Even though you do not speak enough for a conversation, do at least say bonjour, merci, au revoir...

My absolute favorite place in Paris is Sainte-Chapelle. The stained glass is spectacular, so try to go on a sunny day. There are lots of lovely parks for leisurely strolls and picnics. Parisians do not generally sit on the grass in parks (it's actually prohibit in many parks), so find a bench and enjoy the views from there.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:48 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
You will love the 9th but what a shame to want to slave over a stove instead of sampling the marvelous restaurants of Paris. I think you'll want to rethink that.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You will love the 9th but what a shame to want to slave over a stove instead of sampling the marvelous restaurants of Paris. I think you'll want to rethink that.
Shoot, cooking is fun, especially while drinking lots of wine and nibbling on cheese - and I want to take advantage of all that great, fresh, wholesome food they have in the markets.

I do plan on eating out for a good portion of our meals, especially for lunches. One issue I have is that I can't eat late, due to indigestion problems, and most restaurants don't even start serving dinner till 7:30 - a bit too late for me. I do plan on going crazy with all those yummy pastries and crepes they have...lol.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I MUST agree. I would do very little cooking (a waste of time there) but would enjoy the rooftop terrace for bringing my meal home and enjoying with a nice wine to watch the world go by.

The metro there was very accommodating, and we used a lot. The Louvre is AMAZING!!! Give it a FULL DAY to see, and even then you will have cut yourself short....buy the tickets to the Eiffel Tower in advance as well and I HIGHLY recommend buying for all 3 "viewing platforms", and do take the sunset cruise down the Seine river....SOOOOO beautiful!

We found this site VERY helpful in getting things booked in advance, especially with the "skip the line" options that gave you a great advantage of not wasting time waiting in line for tickets, times.

Enjoy for me, I am SOOOOOO jealous!!!!

Eiffel Tower - Tours & Tickets | Viator

Old 04-12-2015, 10:20 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
I'm so envious of your upcoming trip! My husband and I visited Paris about a half-dozen times, and the last time we were there, we rented an apartment for a month. You're smart to rent an apartment rather than staying in a hotel.

I recommend making your own breakfasts in your apartment -- it's fun to shop for food, and I think having breakfast out is an expensive hassle. Our daily breakfasts consisted of a fresh baguette spread with butter and jam, and cafe au lait. Of course, you can buy eggs or juice or whatever you like.

I'd recommend having your lunches out at whatever restaurants appeal to you -- you can go high-end or read the menus for the daily specials at restaurants and cafes you pass by. You can have your early dinners by just having something small at your apartment -- maybe bread, cheese, and fruit, or a sandwich you picked up on the way back to your place. Then do some more walking after dinner, if you still have the energy.

My favorite thing to do in Paris is just to walk around and absorb the atmosphere. I'm not big on museums, although my husband was, so we compromised on shorter visits to smaller museums, like the Marmottan or the Picasso or the Rodin, rather than what I consider a forced slog through the Louvre.

I love visiting the Eiffel Tower, but only on ground level -- not because I don't like heights but because it's just too crowded with tourists and too expensive to go up the Tower.

Try to spend some time walking along the Canal St. Martin -- it's a really nice walk. Also explore the neighborhoods in the 4th, 5th, and 6th arrondissements. I like window-shopping along the Boulevard St. Germain or the Boulevard St. Michel.

(Interesting linguistic note: the French phrase for window shop is "leche vitrine," which translates as "lick the windows.")

Avoid the Champs Elysees -- over-crowded, over-priced, just a waste of time IMHO.

Don't worry about not speaking much French. Just be polite and use whatever French you have. Etiquette note: When you walk into a small store, or go up to the counter in a large store, it's polite to say "Bonjour" before starting your transaction.

Regarding the bicycles: Have you ridden a bicycle in a heavily-trafficked city before, like New York or Chicago? If you can manage that you should be ok on a bike in Paris. I've seen lots of people on bikes in Paris, but they are much braver than I am.

Have a wonderful time!

Old 04-13-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm so envious of your upcoming trip! My husband and I visited Paris about a half-dozen times, and the last time we were there, we rented an apartment for a month. You're smart to rent an apartment rather than staying in a hotel.

I recommend making your own breakfasts in your apartment -- it's fun to shop for food, and I think having breakfast out is an expensive hassle. Our daily breakfasts consisted of a fresh baguette spread with butter and jam, and cafe au lait. Of course, you can buy eggs or juice or whatever you like.

I'd recommend having your lunches out at whatever restaurants appeal to you -- you can go high-end or read the menus for the daily specials at restaurants and cafes you pass by. You can have your early dinners by just having something small at your apartment -- maybe bread, cheese, and fruit, or a sandwich you picked up on the way back to your place. Then do some more walking after dinner, if you still have the energy.

My favorite thing to do in Paris is just to walk around and absorb the atmosphere. I'm not big on museums, although my husband was, so we compromised on shorter visits to smaller museums, like the Marmottan or the Picasso or the Rodin, rather than what I consider a forced slog through the Louvre.

I love visiting the Eiffel Tower, but only on ground level -- not because I don't like heights but because it's just too crowded with tourists and too expensive to go up the Tower.

Try to spend some time walking along the Canal St. Martin -- it's a really nice walk. Also explore the neighborhoods in the 4th, 5th, and 6th arrondissements. I like window-shopping along the Boulevard St. Germain or the Boulevard St. Michel.

(Interesting linguistic note: the French phrase for window shop is "leche vitrine," which translates as "lick the windows.")

Avoid the Champs Elysees -- over-crowded, over-priced, just a waste of time IMHO.

Don't worry about not speaking much French. Just be polite and use whatever French you have. Etiquette note: When you walk into a small store, or go up to the counter in a large store, it's polite to say "Bonjour" before starting your transaction.

Regarding the bicycles: Have you ridden a bicycle in a heavily-trafficked city before, like New York or Chicago? If you can manage that you should be ok on a bike in Paris. I've seen lots of people on bikes in Paris, but they are much braver than I am.

Have a wonderful time!
What you've said matches up very closely to what I plan on doing in Paris. Breakfast at the apartment, lunches out, splurging a few times with that, and light meals for supper back at the apartment before going back out for another walk.

I love heights, so the Eiffel Tower will be a must, but I will get there first thing in the morning to enjoy it before the bulk of the crowds, much like I did the Willis Tower last time I visited there. I also plan to visit the observation deck of a tower in La Defense to gain another perspective of the city (I suspect this won't be too crowded.)

The Canal St. Martin sounds very nice - will do that for sure. As for the museums, I do like them, but only for short doses. I'll limit my time in the Louvre to three hours or so (4 would be really pushing it) - my attention span just won't allow more than that...lol. Do they allow customers to return the same day for the same admission?

The bikes will be a wait-and-see proposition - it's just a couple Euros to use the system for the day, it might be worth a shot here and there.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the Euro keeps dropping - Greece needs to declare bankruptcy like the day before we get there to roil the currency markets...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel