Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:08 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times

Advertisements

I'm 90% in favor of an aisle seat on flights longer than five hours - which are my overseas trips. I prefer it because these tend to be overnight, and for my personal reasons, I would prefer to be able to leave my seat ASAP without bothering someone trying to sleep, or step away from them for a breather. For instance, on my overnight flight from Detroit to Amsterdam, I had the aisle. Low and behold, my theory of why I prefer that seat came true. There was a strange guy sitting next to me who insisted on trying to talk to me. He was not attractive, and he gave me the heebie jeebies, but not enough to alarm a flight attendant. In my peripheral vision, he was looking at me every so often (like, WTF?) I would have been VERY uncomfortable being blocked in by this fool if I had his window seat. I was wearing my noise canceling headphones which are a life saver - but the fool had a weak bladder and used the bathroom countless times. I may have had to resort to violence or screamed at him by the attention he was trying to get from me. I was prepare to go Kill Bill on him at any moment, but it didn't come to that. I'm a petite female, and sitting next to other small/normal size people who mind their own business is my preference - but, we don't get to pick and choose who we sit next to (I wish we could).

For short domestic flights were I don't need to use the toilet or take a nap, I am happy looking out the window while reading a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
In a perfect world, I would have both. I love to look out the window, but I hate having to ask people to get up so I can use the bathroom. So I get an aisle seat.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:37 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
I like looking out the window, but like you I prefer an aisle seat so I can get up whenever I wish without disturbing others. (Plus, I've become a bit claustrophobic after being trapped in a window seat on a very long flight - an experience I never want to repeat.0

Old 04-13-2015, 02:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
While I like the ability to have both (regional first class and long haul first class) when I have to choose I want the aisle. I don't like feeling penned in.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:47 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
I'm tall and like getting up a lot so aisle seat for me.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:51 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
I prefer window, but hate having to crawl over people to get out (and I'm always having to use the bathroom on airplanes, even on shorter flights)...lol.

On my upcoming trip to Paris, I'll have it made, since it'll just be me and my traveling companion sharing a row of 2 seats - no sitting next to strangers.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I'm 90% in favor of an aisle seat on flights longer than five hours - which are my overseas trips. I prefer it because these tend to be overnight, and for my personal reasons, I would prefer to be able to leave my seat ASAP without bothering someone trying to sleep, or step away from them for a breather. For instance, on my overnight flight from Detroit to Amsterdam, I had the aisle. Low and behold, my theory of why I prefer that seat came true. There was a strange guy sitting next to me who insisted on trying to talk to me. He was not attractive, and he gave me the heebie jeebies, but not enough to alarm a flight attendant. In my peripheral vision, he was looking at me every so often (like, WTF?) I would have been VERY uncomfortable being blocked in by this fool if I had his window seat. I was wearing my noise canceling headphones which are a life saver - but the fool had a weak bladder and used the bathroom countless times. I may have had to resort to violence or screamed at him by the attention he was trying to get from me. I was prepare to go Kill Bill on him at any moment, but it didn't come to that. I'm a petite female, and sitting next to other small/normal size people who mind their own business is my preference - but, we don't get to pick and choose who we sit next to (I wish we could).

For short domestic flights were I don't need to use the toilet or take a nap, I am happy looking out the window while reading a book.
I like the aisle seat as I can get up as much as I want to. That being said, I don't get uptight with someone has to get up when someone goes to the bathroom. When you gotta go you gotta go and, as the book title so eloquently puts it, "Everybody Poops."

Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Short Flights Window

Long Flight Aisle

No flights Middle.....

Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Window seat on any flight over 2 hours. Otherwise, I prefer an aisle seat. For me, not only do I love looking out the window, but the window seat provides me more opportunity/ease/comfort/security of laying my head down without having to worry about laying on my fellow traveler(s). Not to mention that I'm sick of getting up to let others pass to use bathroom, rest, etc., when I'm in the aisle seat. Seriously, on a long flight (6+ hours), I may get up to stretch and use the bathroom twice, but I'm almost always sitting next to someone who is getting up half a dozen times or more, disturbing my sleep/comfort in the process when I have the misfortune of sitting in an aisle seat. Now, when I'm on a very short flight, these concerns/perks really aren't a problem, and an aisle seat allows me to grab my bags and deplane much more quickly.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Aisle.

But I am an aisle-sitter with everything - theaters, churches, events, meetings. I think it's due to a need to get up and GO if I need to. The caveat to this is having to endure people passing back and forth in front me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel