Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Well good for you, so you were able to fend off your attacker. So everyone should be the same? Did you crawl out from a rock? What I find most offending is you are a woman and discounting another woman being attacked. It happens every day. It's because of people like you that women are afraid to come forward after the fact when they are ready.
When they are ready is the problem. During that time the evidence is gone, the attacker is gone, chances are there's another victim. The time to react is when it happens, not three months later when it's way too late.

I'm not discounting that there was an attack, it's terrible and more men need to be castrated for these things. But I'm also a realist who knows that women who don't speak up at the time of an attack are letting a sexual predator feel free to attack again and again. That's something that they need to take some responsibility for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 1,787,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If there is no evidence, then don't even bother come forward after the fact.

People should be punished for bring such accusations without the ability to prove it.
Congratulations, you are now in the lead for the most offensive comment on this topic.

This more than anything is probably the sentiment that causes people to be reluctant to report at all. You are insane to think that there is always evidence in cases of assault. My only hope for you is that you are being sarcastic.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Congratulations, you are now in the lead for the most offensive comment on this topic.

This more than anything is probably the sentiment that causes people to be reluctant to report at all. You are insane to think that there is always evidence in cases of assault. My only hope for you is that you are being sarcastic.
I agree that there can be an assault without evidence. I also feel that most people who claim to have been assaulted wouldn't put themselves through the scrutiny that follows if there wasn't an actual offense committed.

I'd also say the woman who wakes up on a plane with a man feeling her up who screams and smacks the guy isn't "making it up." I'd also suggest that any man with the kahunas to do something like that has done it before.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
annerk you have to understand there are women in this world that don't react the way you do. For you to even suggest that 'to bad so sad' for someone that doesn't report it right away is appalling. It's not as easy for everyone to just step forward immediately.

One of my best friends was date raped 30 years ago. She didn't tell a soul. She took blame for it, thought it was her fault. Now 30 years later she has come forward to help others. So she shouldn't speak? She shouldn't say anything so other women can have the confidence you did?

Everyone isn't the same, and for you to suggest because a woman froze instead of giving the guy a black eye can't speak up. I just can't even engage anymore. Sickening.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Another good reason not to take drugs before flying.

That said, if they don't report it then they lose their right to complain about it. Frankly if I woke up to some guy touching me he'd be missing a pair--and half his teeth.
So people with disabilities and anxities shouldn't take their meds because some perv may assault you?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
annerk you have to understand there are women in this world that don't react the way you do. For you to even suggest that 'to bad so sad' for someone that doesn't report it right away is appalling. It's not as easy for everyone to just step forward immediately.

One of my best friends was date raped 30 years ago. She didn't tell a soul. She took blame for it, thought it was her fault. Now 30 years later she has come forward to help others. So she shouldn't speak? She shouldn't say anything so other women can have the confidence you did?

Everyone isn't the same, and for you to suggest because a woman froze instead of giving the guy a black eye can't speak up. I just can't even engage anymore. Sickening.
She can speak, I never said she couldn't. But she can't complain that nothing was done--because she didn't report it. That's all I'm saying.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
So people with disabilities and anxities shouldn't take their meds because some perv may assault you?
People who need meds to fly should fly with someone who can assist them in an emergency. How would they handle an emergency evacuation? It's no different.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:15 PM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
She can speak, I never said she couldn't. But she can't complain that nothing was done--because she didn't report it. That's all I'm saying.
To be fair, is that what the alleged victim is doing? I didn't read anything in that article to suggest that the alleged victim is complaining that nothing was done after not complaining. Rather, LaRue, the main subject of the article, is expressly advocating that future victims of such assaults don't hesitate like she did and make as much noise as possible. LaRue's situation has made her a victim's advocate, not someone who is bashing airlines (to be fair, I didn't watch the accompanying video, but I doubt that it has a different narrative than the text of the article). In light of what is in the article, I think that's why your posts are rubbing people the wrong way.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 PM

50 posts, read 62,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
To be fair, is that what the alleged victim is doing? I didn't read anything in that article to suggest that the alleged victim is complaining that nothing was done after not complaining. Rather, LaRue, the main subject of the article, is expressly advocating that future victims of such assaults don't hesitate like she did and make as much noise as possible. LaRue's situation has made her a victim's advocate, not someone who is bashing airlines (to be fair, I didn't watch the accompanying video, but I doubt that it has a different narrative than the text of the article). In light of what is in the article, I think that's why your posts are rubbing people the wrong way.
Yes, that's what I got out of the article. That she regretted not speaking up, and is speaking up now so future people who get assaulted in flight will speak up.

This has happened to me, I was on a flight from Seattle to Amsterdam, 2 seats, 5 seats, 2 seats configuration. I was sitting in a window seat, with a "nice Boeing engineer" next to me. I tried sleeping through most of the flight, and woke up slowly and was (in my head) like "whaaa, am I imagining things? no, definitely feels like someone is touching my underwear...??" I didn't know what to think. I was just shocked so I wasn't angry, I was like "huh?" But yeah, he had his fingers in my pants feeling up my underwear! I shifted in my seat and he stopped doing it (probably worried I was about to wake up). I didn't say anything. It didn't even occur to me to say anything. I don't think I was able to sleep after that.

Had it occurred to me to say something, I don't know if I would have. If I said something, what would happen? Would I miss my connecting flight in Amsterdam? Of course now reading about this being common, maybe I would now, because I wouldn't want other women to be felt up on a plane or elsewhere. That would be my only motivation for reporting it, helping other women.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wndy View Post
Yes, that's what I got out of the article. That she regretted not speaking up, and is speaking up now so future people who get assaulted in flight will speak up.

This has happened to me, I was on a flight from Seattle to Amsterdam, 2 seats, 5 seats, 2 seats configuration. I was sitting in a window seat, with a "nice Boeing engineer" next to me. I tried sleeping through most of the flight, and woke up slowly and was (in my head) like "whaaa, am I imagining things? no, definitely feels like someone is touching my underwear...??" I didn't know what to think. I was just shocked so I wasn't angry, I was like "huh?" But yeah, he had his fingers in my pants feeling up my underwear! I shifted in my seat and he stopped doing it (probably worried I was about to wake up). I didn't say anything. It didn't even occur to me to say anything. I don't think I was able to sleep after that.

Had it occurred to me to say something, I don't know if I would have. If I said something, what would happen? Would I miss my connecting flight in Amsterdam? Of course now reading about this being common, maybe I would now, because I wouldn't want other women to be felt up on a plane or elsewhere. That would be my only motivation for reporting it, helping other women.
And this is exactly what I am getting at. He was being inappropriate, touching you in a sexual manner, you knew it, and yet you didn't speak up. Because you were afraid of missing a connection? They would have flown you to your destination First Class if you had been delayed due to a criminal investigation regarding a passenger on the plane! This is exactly the type of thing that needs to be reported. By not doing so you put it in his sick and twisted mind that sexual abuse is OK. It's NOT OK and until women begin to fight back and report these CRIMES the perpetrators are not going to stop. In many cases they move on to far more serious crimes.

As I said before, you knew what he was doing was wrong, yet you didn't report it. Why? Why do women not think to say something? What the hell is wrong with our society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel