Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:35 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times

Advertisements

I have Global Entry and it is fantastic. We came back into LAX from Hong Kong in March and the lines at immigration were ridiculous. The carousels in baggage claim were getting backed up because nobody was getting through to pick up their bags. With Global Entry, we were through in seconds (not minutes!!!). And if you travel with carry-on only then you just fly through immigration and customs. The only slow down we had was so 'Billy the Beagle' could have a sniff of our bags to make sure we had no contraband and that took about 20 seconds cos we are law abiding travelers.

The interview is a breeze. They have already done the background checks so they know who you are. And CBP love people with Global Entry because it allows them to focus on their real job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 02:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
I think its worth it. It saves you time---IF the kiosks are working. Many times they go down and you have to join the regular line like everybody else. It also depends on what's going on. Even when you have it the CBP will still put you through regular screening any time at all they feel like it and anytime they're on any type of alert.
I have yet to have the kiosks down. One time my passport wouldn't read and I had to be processed manually, but I didn't have to get in a line, the guy who you hand the slip the kiosk prints out to took care of it--took an extra 15 seconds.

They had an elevated alert the last time I came into the US and nothing was changed as far as the GE process went.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:35 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Love my Global Entry! Going through Customs is a breeze!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Like any third world police state, you can get past the authorities quicker if you pay the bribe.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Like any third world police state, you can get past the authorities quicker if you pay the bribe.
Sorry, this ploy doesn't work with me. I'm very pro-police and pro-US. Go somewhere else with your agenda.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
I'm very pro-police and pro-US. Go somewhere else with your agenda.
Like, to where only certain pre-approved pro-police-state agendas are allowed?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
And after getting my application conditionally approved, I tried to set up an interview in Austin. They don't have a single available appointment until July 30! Checked San Antonio....they don't have any until the end of May! So it looks as though I'll be driving to Houston for the interview if I want to get approved in time to use it for a trip in early June.

Will I have approval immediately when passing my interview or is there still another waiting period afterwards?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I see it as no different than paying for Faster to the Fun on a Carnival cruise or paying for VIP entry at a concert to get a better position on the barricade. Those who aren't interested can still enter, they just have to wait in line. Those who want it can spend the money for it. No harm, no foul.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:32 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
And after getting my application conditionally approved, I tried to set up an interview in Austin. They don't have a single available appointment until July 30! Checked San Antonio....they don't have any until the end of May! So it looks as though I'll be driving to Houston for the interview if I want to get approved in time to use it for a trip in early June.

Will I have approval immediately when passing my interview or is there still another waiting period afterwards?
One you have your completed your interview you are then able to use Global Entry immediately. You will be sent your card a few weeks after but that is only needed for things like crossing the Canada and Mexico borders I think. The number you gave when you were conditionally approved with will become your Known Travelers Number that you use when booking domestic flights so you get Pre-Check with participating airlines.

You should also keep checking the system in case they get a cancellation but even then, you could save yourself the drive and get the available one at the end of May.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I see it as no different than paying for Faster to the Fun on a Carnival cruise or paying for VIP entry at a concert to get a better position on the barricade. Those who aren't interested can still enter, they just have to wait in line. Those who want it can spend the money for it. No harm, no foul.
Exactly, to me a bribe is something you do to get something that is otherwise unavailable. In this case everyone gets to go through CBP your just paying for the ability to get through faster. Plus a bribe enriches the person that you give it to. For Global Entry that fee goes to pay for the background check process which does take up resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel