Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

We usually take one or two trips a year. Usually to the beach. My annual birthday trip is usually to Little Dix Bay in the British Virgin Islands. Also we like to usually go to Hawaii once every other year or so.

I have already traveled the world. Will do more when the kids are older and can appreciate it more. But for now the beach and quiet relaxation away from crowds is the only thing I look forward to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Typically we take one 2-3 week trip outside the US (usually Europe) every other year. On the off years we do something in the US, usually west coast for between one and two weeks.

Additionally we usually take 2-5 trips a year within the US/Canada/Caribbean that are long weekends--2-4 days.

We do cruise now and then, but typically only every few years at most. We hate the big cruise ships--bad food, bad service, too crowded, and too many drunks and idiots walking around trying to stick their loyalty pins in the face of anyone who they run into--as if we care. Anything over about 500 people is what we consider big. We do enjoy the smaller ships, but for now the places we want to explore are not accessible by a cruise ship or we want to spend more than a day there, so cruising is probably off the table for the foreseeable future. We will probably go on an expedition type cruise to Antarctica at some point in the next decade.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
i've traveled all over the place. i usually go on 2 trips a year.

personally I've narrowed down my preference to hiking and driving around the desert southwest, especially Utah. or just hanging out in a big city with a beach, like Honolulu, Los Angeles or Sydney.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:31 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
After being married for 20 years and only going up and down I 75 from Michigan to Tennessee, we finally are able to do any kind of trip we want...we will do any..over nighters.. or like this past spring , week to Alabama loved it by the way, right on the gulf.. to visit friends...meeting up with an old friend in Nashville for 3 days this July.... just got back from Dollywood for two nights....trying to schedule a cruise for next winter...

We had a cottage in Northern Michigan so that took the place of any vacations...now we love going places!!!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Nothing specific here we do not plan vacations or trips we just decide to go and do.
It could be a week long visit to family at home, a weekend at a local camp ground, a couple days at a hotel where we decided to stop after driving for a while, a few days in our motor home in the driveway without lights, television, iPads, iPhones or computer.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:40 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Usually I do 0-1 trips per year although this year due to unusual circumstances, I have already done 2 trips and have at least one more planned for the summer. Most of my trips are to visit family members that don't live in my area although one of trips that I already did this year was to visit a friend.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:47 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I try to take at least one trip a year (preferably an international trip, but sometimes timing/budget doesn't allow for that). This year I've already met my goal, having traveled to the UK/Norway in January for a week-long trip. Ideally, I prefer that my trips last between 7-14 days. Anything less than 7 days is too short for me, while I start to get homesick once I get past the 2 week mark! We'll probably end up going to North Carolina in a month or so to see some of the family for a week, which would be my second overnight trip of the year.

Here's a glimpse of my travel going back a few years:

-In 2014, I was in DC and FL for a total of 8 days.

-In 2013, I traveled to Australia for a few months (an exchange program), DC for 4 days and Austin for 4 days (and Canada for less than a day).

-In 2012, I traveled to Turkey and France for about a week, DC for 4 days, and San Francisco for 4 days.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
We normally have five or six holidays a year. We're retired of course. They are all similar, hotel type holidays of which millions of English people go on. We went to Tunisia in January, and are going to Majorca in Spain this weekend. Then 12 days after returning from Spain, we're off to Tunisia again. We don't let a bit of terrorism put us off....... Three weeks after returning from Tunisia, we travel to Rhodes in Greece. We stay home during summer, because it gets too hot for us abroad. We will go away again in October, and probably November.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:23 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Knowing you wouldn't like one is like saying you would never want to live in a certain place without even visiting that place.
Have never been on a cruise and I know I would not like it

If I want to relax, I can do that at home. I actually go on adventures and not vacations.
I am out and about every time I go somewhere fitting in as many things as I can.

Sitting on a boat for hours waiting for the next port---makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:47 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
At least three trips, with one in the USA. Latin America, the Caribbean or Europe for the other trips. Usually Christmas, Spring Break, and a couple in summer.

We love to travel, it's our passion. Even when we were penniless, I taught summer school to pay for a vacation out of the U.S..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel