Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

I know we all like to travel or we wouldn't be on this forum: now, let's see what is your favorite type of vacation, length of vacation and how often a year do you get a chance to travel? I am not thinking of work related travel.

We take 2 trips a year. That is all our budget allows. Our first one is always a cruise, sometimes we do 2 cruises. If we settle for only 1 cruise we will take a land trip, usually with one of our kids and thier spouse. Vegas is high on the list, but other destinations are also fun. I think next year we are going to the Dekotas in the spring. Hubby wants to see Mt. Rushmore. When we cruise, we sometimes add a couple extra days, depending on the port of embarkation and visit sites, friends or relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:10 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
2 trips each year. My favourite type of holiday is a long haul holiday, I love flying there and anticipating what it will be like.

I think holidays are they key to living a healthy, happy lifestyle, I don't think I could cope without holidays.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
We take as many trips as our schedules allow. The place we visit also depends on season. I don't like to do a lot of city walking in summer due to the heat and humidity, so we reserve city walking vacations for cooler weather.

We just got back from Mexico this week, our first vacation this year. Then we have several long weekend domestic trips scheduled around the major holidays. The only 2 major holidays we haven't yet booked are around Thanksgiving and Christmas, which we usually reserved for long haul overseas travels. We're definitely going to Southeast Asia in December but have not yet decided on the Thanksgiving trip. Maybe Barcelona. Europe in the Fall is simply beautiful and the weather is simply pleasant.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
One trip and a few extended weekends. All I can afford and take off of work.

My favorite type of trip is going to a new country and looking for critters to photography. Last trip was Sarawak, Borneo for this.

Next favorite is going to a new region of this country and visiting national parks for the same thing.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:40 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
I do two trips a year. Typically a two week long international destination of some sort (Bali this year) and a one week beach vacation mid-winter.

I am not including smaller 2-4 day trips. I will visit my family a couple of times a year for a 4-5 day weekend, go camping at the beach or in the mountains for a long weekend, or spend a weekend in a big city somewhere.

The one thing I will not do is cruises. I hate those things.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:06 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Prefer longer international trips to relatively inexpensive countries. Go with one backpack each, lodging planned for first couple nights only in arrival city, then wing it from there..

Old 04-30-2015, 08:37 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
I usually take 3 ski trips to CO, but I own a vacation place so the main cost is airfare.

I used to do a fewer trips but longer international trips, but my schedule changed so that really isn't the most practical now.

Kind of a shame, I would have liked to visit Damascus before it got blown the hell up. Looks like it'll be a 20 year wait.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I do two trips a year. Typically a two week long international destination of some sort (Bali this year) and a one week beach vacation mid-winter.

I am not including smaller 2-4 day trips. I will visit my family a couple of times a year for a 4-5 day weekend, go camping at the beach or in the mountains for a long weekend, or spend a weekend in a big city somewhere.

The one thing I will not do is cruises. I hate those things.
Cruising certainly isn't for everyone, but just out of curiosity have you even been on a cruise? If you haven't what do you mean, you hate those things? We have a daughter that does not like cruising and her husband has never even been on one. He would probably not like cruising either, but will never find out I am thinking. my feeling, everyone should try one just to find out what they are really like. Knowing you wouldn't like one is like saying you would never want to live in a certain place without even visiting that place.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I usually take 3 ski trips to CO, but I own a vacation place so the main cost is airfare.

I used to do a fewer trips but longer international trips, but my schedule changed so that really isn't the most practical now.

Kind of a shame, I would have liked to visit Damascus before it got blown the hell up. Looks like it'll be a 20 year wait.
Right there with you. Damascus was on my top 10 list. It's now a top 9 list. Sigh....

Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Cruising certainly isn't for everyone, but just out of curiosity have you even been on a cruise? If you haven't what do you mean, you hate those things? We have a daughter that does not like cruising and her husband has never even been on one. He would probably not like cruising either, but will never find out I am thinking. my feeling, everyone should try one just to find out what they are really like. Knowing you wouldn't like one is like saying you would never want to live in a certain place without even visiting that place.
Yes, I have been on a cruise. It was a 6 or 7 day Caribbean cruise with Royal Carribbean. I went with some friends, who have gone on many cruises since then. There was nothing terrible about it, other than meh food, crowded conditions, short shore excursions, and boredom.

I understand why some people like them, they simply don't interest me.

It takes all kinds to make a world, and I am not the cruising kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel