Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If I have to fly more than an hour or drive more than 4 to get to my destination, then, yes, I consider visiting the family a vacation!
I agree with you. When we visit family or when we did years ago family would have special meals for us, kids would get a chance to see cousins or grandparents and we always had a good time. No, of course it isn't like a cruise or a trip to a resort, but it is still vacation to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
If I like them and want to visit them, a vacation. If I feel obligated and really don't care for their company, not a vacation but an obligation.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
A real vacation you dont visit family and dont take your own family with you.

Hedonism II for a week by yourself that is a vacation!!!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Definitely not.

A vacation means you visit a difference place where a difference language is spoken and a different culture is observed.
I am visiting my family in 4 days (14 hours flight), and I consider it an obligation, not a vacation.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Generally speaking, no.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:15 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
I live on the southwest coast of Florida, and my family lives in New England. It's a vacation when we go up to visit. We usually combine it with spending a few days in another city. This year it will be Boston. Last year we spent 5 days in New England and then another 5 days in Washington DC. One year we spent most of the time with family, but then went to Maine for three days to visit friends.

I have other family (my brother and some other family members) living overseas, so visiting them is definitely a vacation!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
My definition of vacation: sitting by the pool/on the beach with a frosty drink, a good book, and delicious food. No phone calls, no emails, and most importantly, no schedule. Pure relaxation.

My definition of a trip: sight seeing, various outings and activities, BBQs, socializing (being on a schedule).

AFAIC, visiting family would be a trip, not a vacation.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:01 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
No way.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Not at the current time. Everyone lives within an hour, so visiting happens usually at holidays for dinner.

Family visits are more obligations, although when I've visited my kids at their universities, I'd turn that into a vacation, simply because in addition to visiting them, I'd also incorporate doing other activities or seeing sights that were in their areas.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Definitely not.

A vacation means you visit a difference place where a difference language is spoken and a different culture is observed.
I am visiting my family in 4 days (14 hours flight), and I consider it an obligation, not a vacation.
Thanks for clarifying the official definition of a vacation for the rest of us to live by I personally have no desire whatsoever to visit a different culture with different languages, so I guess I'll never experience a true "vacation" in my life

I have grandparents who live in FL, and my wife and I try to get down there every year and have been doing so since 2008, with the exception of 2010 when our son was born. They own a nice home with a pool, and are only 10-15 minutes from the beach. We go in the summer when it's nice and hot, being from upstate NY we don't typically get that kind of tropical weather so it's a change for us. We pay essentially nothing to stay there and it only costs us airfare plus maybe a shopping trip to buy whatever we want to eat during our stay, outside of their normal food stock. We go down for about a week and for us it's all about relaxation and away from the stresses of every day life back home, spending time with family we only see once a year, and enjoying the pool and weather. And also letting our son visit with his great grandparents. In fact we're going in 2.5 weeks for a week, and we're both looking forward to our VACATION and can't wait to get down there. By no means is it ever an obligation, as I am not forced to go down there.

To me, if you're going somewhere away from home for 4+ days and you're enjoying yourself and not working or dealing with whatever every day life throws at you, then it's a vacation regardless of what the exact details are of your trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel