U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 PM

1,649 posts, read 4,702,780 times

Advertisements

OK. I know this isn't the first time this has happened to anyone. It's happened to me before.

This time it wasn't on the trip home.

We are sitting in St. Thomas. We took a quick flight from Miami (we drove down over several days to Miami) today on American Airlines. Somehow, they managed to lose two plus weeks of luggage. This could have an impact on the sailing we were to do from Tortola.

They don't answer the phones. It's all a machine response. They gave us an online site to check. They don't have any info on there. We were told there would be another flight in here at 8 p.m. No luggage. No info.

I'm kinda missing sleeping attire right now.

Just needed to vent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 06:25 PM

7,232 posts, read 10,134,968 times
US based airlines are the WORST ever and then they are surprised why they lose money. It's a big mismanaged mess! And it's not like the fares are super cheap either, there are airlines in Europe like Easyjet that are better organized yet inexpensive!

Old 02-02-2008, 04:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,692,651 times
I am sorry for your troubles.

This is why I always do carry-on--but on a trip like that, it would be a bummer no matter what because my husband scuba dives, you can't carry on all that equipment, and I'd be stuck there along with him.

I hope you get your stuff soon.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 PM

896 posts, read 4,068,070 times
To make you feel better (kind of) - we went to Las Vegas last month and between our room and our car - they lost our toiletry bag (filled with things like my husband professional hair clippers, retainers, jewelry, phone charges, etc) plus it was a Tumi bag. This is not stuff that is easily replaceable. We were very unhappy and were met with disinterest by the hotel staff. Losing a suitcase is SUCH an inconvenience!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,453,194 times
Default We put name tags and phone numbers on the outside of all our stuff...

Attached to the outside of all our luggage I have our last name and several phone numbers (in 16 point type) on a number of tags, each imbedded in a heavy plastic laminate and attached to the luggage handle by fairly heavy locking plastic ties.

Because of where we tend to travel we have one tag titled "In Germany," another "San Diego" and one with our home town, all in large letters. On each tag is a local telephone number (my parents, my sister or my wife's mom in Germany).

Makes it really hard not to find us....

Old 02-22-2008, 08:35 PM

1,649 posts, read 4,702,780 times
A quick update....We did get our luggage the next day. We were not based at any hotel since we were sailing for two weeks. It would have been a real chore to find us.

I know this because American Airlines lost my daughter's and son-in-law's luggage a few days later when they joined us on the boat. They didn't have anything but the clothes on their backs. Plus, no one knew where the luggage was. It was a mess. A local taxi driver in Tortola, BVI finally solved the situation. He delivered one of the bags from Beef Island to West End. The airport personnel kept saying they didn't know where the bag was. Finally they located it and had it delivered. The driver said he saw it sitting there for a couple of days. ??????? Then the driver vowed to locate the other bags. He did. Scam? I dunno.

Then on the flight back to BWI my daughter-in-law's luggage was lost...yep...American again.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM

47 posts, read 626,223 times
Lightbulb ugh

Sorry that happened... wish the airlines would get their act together and be more organized. Just a little tidbit of info. that might be helpful to anyone in the future.... my neighbor who is an airline attendant told me that if, for example, a family is traveling with 2 suitcases, you should always pack half of your clothes in 1 suitcase and the other half in another suitcase just in case one gets lost then at least you'd have *some* clothes and stuff to get you thru. Not sure if this tip has been mentioned before but I figured it doesn't hurt to mention it again. Glad you got your stuff back finally.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:01 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,360,386 times
Another tip if you are going for too long to actually carry on your suitcase, is to just carry on a smaller suitcase with some toiletries and extra clothes. Unfortunately with the carry on laws regarding liquids, we can't carry on much but some deodorant, some makeup and maybe some shampoo or something would help in the event of lost luggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel