Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:18 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times

Advertisements

The night before a trip I get so keyed up I can not sleep. I worry myself to death especially if it is an international trip by plane.

There is just so much that goes wrong now a days. I can't believe how slow the lines move at check in and security. How often we are trapped on the tarmac sitting and waiting to take off and if we do arrive there will be another endless line at the car rental spot. Once we make it to our hotel it is always a battle to get a good room that has two beds in a quiet location.

The first night at the hotel is tough because I hear all the door slamming and people yelling out in the hall. I also struggle with a new pillow and mattress.

Only after the first 24 hours can I relax and start to enjoy myself. Can you relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 07:39 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Im not. Im making a trip this weekend and then have the next few days completely booked but its gonna be worth it.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Oh my - yes I can relate. Drives my husband NUTS! He travels all the time with work, so it's no big deal to him. But I'm a worry wort and want to prepare for every possibility. I'd rather be sitting at the airport waiting, having gone through security with no problems, then sweating it out hoping we'll make a plane.
I don't travel very well - but like you, once I'm there I'm fine. Trip home isn't as big a deal. It's the initial getting there.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
I just get really anxious to get my destination because I can't wait to be there! It makes me happy to travel by plane. It's so soothing to me minus a few annoyances! :P

Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I can't believe how slow the lines move at check in and security. How often we are trapped on the tarmac sitting and waiting to take off and if we do arrive there will be another endless line at the car rental spot.
I'm not trying to diminish your experiences, but I wonder about how often you travel and what airlines? Or maybe its just that I fly so much, I'm immune to most of this. Over the past 12 months, I've been on about 40 flights. I always check bags, I step outside during my layovers (and go through security), and yet, I've never had a bag lost. My worse tarmac experience was 20 minutes (on the Saturday before Christmas because the plane was 30 minutes early and didn't have a gate). Most of the time, I can get my rental car before they start the baggage carousel. And other than the time I had a 6am flight, security lines take me between 0 and 10 minutes. (I've flown Southwest, America, Delta, and Northwest over the past year. )

I'm now going to knock on every block of wood I see between now and my next flight (Tuesday).

As for the hotel stuff... well, yeah.. can't say much about that. I stay in the same hotel 90% of the time, and they know me and give me a good room.

A hint for everyone - do your check-in online the night before the flight. Most of the time, you can print your boarding passes, and some airlines in some airports have special lines just to check your bags when you already have your boarding pass.

And also, for everyone, security lines would move much faster if everyone took some time the day before their flight and learned about the rules. You'll have to take off your shoes. 3-1-1 for liquids is dumb, but you gotta do it. Make sure your laptop is easily accessible, cause it has to come out. Organize before you get to the airport, please

Old 01-27-2008, 05:29 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,272 times
I get keyed up, but in a positive way. I love travel for the sake of travel and see those annoyances you mentioned as part of the adventure - especially in other countries!
Bring a good book, pack lite, expect things to go wrong and enjoy the fact that you aren't sitting home wishing you were on vacation!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 AM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times
I agree with djw, I love travelling and get pumped up before a long trip. I try to make several each year. I don't plan much because you never know what you're going to find when you get there. There are plenty of pleasant suprises.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
I'm never more tired than after a trip. Then I have to work the next week all day long because I have to make up for the time off. Is there even such thing as vacation?

Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
I never get worked up. I'm going to have fun. You plan as much as you can the rest is beyond your control, no use fretting about it Just take it as it comes.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I'm never more tired than after a trip. Then I have to work the next week all day long because I have to make up for the time off. Is there even such thing as vacation?
I will have to ask my boss for a vacation so that I can recover from my vacation Somehow I don't think he is going to buy that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel