Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times

Advertisements

I don't know which way you would be coming from but when we took a trip up there we stayed in Newberry
..between Pictured Rocks and Tahquamanon Falls because we wanted to go to both...In Newberry we visited Oswald's Bear Ranch.....it was pretty hot and they weren't real active but I was looking online and it looks like they had many more bears now....You can take the shipwreck boat tour which was interesting....Also up the road Grand Mariais is beautiful....Pictured Rocks in itself is a real sight...the water is a different color than I ever saw and Tahquamanon Falls has trails to walk around and explore.....Don't know what you like to do but the UP Of Michigan has many offerings...it is bigger than you think!!! We like driving and just finding things but I am sure you can go online and map it out....So many ways to get up there....On the west side is Lake of the Clouds and the Porcupine Mountains...that looks like a different state... To me I wouldn't go to Pictured Rocks without going to Tahquamanon and it is quite a drive but I think it is worth it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 06:04 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
LOL: opinion galore. I'll challenge two of the entries and add others. Too much material to cover in one thread, this is all far too vague. Most towns have interesting things to see and do many people don't know about. A few, alas, do not in my opinion. Recent visit/comments:

Vegas is a "Thru" or PASS, not a "Stay." To me it is a living hell beyond the first six hours. Herded like animals, charged for everything, and every few steps some a____le out to fleece you from your money. End of story, Capitalism at it's most-putrid (and I certainly am a fan of Capitalism, in-general). Only three things to do in Vegas: shows, gambling, eating, and debauchery. K, that's four things, but I can have all done in about six hours, as I said. The rest is a miserable, God forsaken desert. If I want that, I'll just get it over with and spend a weekend in Needles instead. And I won't be spending a weekend in Needles anytime soon.

I lived in Reno a year, and there was enough to do for that amount of time and not much more to a 22 year old. There are interesting byways in the area, I challenge the "Thru" and suggest "Stay" for at least a weekend. The gambling is boring to most normal people, the rest isn't.

Lincoln NE was a Pass, unless you are a Cornhuskers fan or photographer. I did everything there was to do in town in a long day. The other days were dull.

Olympia WA is a Pass. Nothing to see there. State Capitol building is mildly fun, as is downtown, but neither more-so than 49 other mid-size city capitols and downtowns.

Seattle is a "Stay", I've been here years and discovered only a few years ago all there is to see and do if you get OUT of the damn car and start taking mass transit. That way, it feels like less of a fly-over and you really see, smell, and hear the streets and people. So many things to see and do, for a city that isn't that big (750K, 3M in metro area). Much more interesting and walk-friendly than many large American cities, with spectacular scenery (if you catch the right day, or even the wrong day).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel