Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times

Advertisements

Venezuela. Even before their economic crash. Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 05:24 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Okay, to take your stats in perspective (and you do have a good point) how do those odds translate to being a victim of a terrorist attack in Muslim country. Plenty of Muslim countries with lots tourism of tourism Indonesia (265 million people), Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, Malaysia etc. how many tourists are killed each year at these places? That doesn't include less touristy Pakistan, Bangladesh or places with tourism but Muslim minority like Philippines.

I submit whether looking at mass shooting in the US or terrorist attack abroad in a touristy country, the odds are so small it isn't worth planning a vacation around.
I agree. However, I think that the media coverage of terrorist attacks abroad, such as those that have occurred in France over the past year or two, tends to paint a picture that frightens people who would normally not give it a second thought.

Generally speaking, an American traveling to France would experience nothing in terms of terrorist activity, but just based on the attacks that have occurred there and the media's coverage of them, it makes people here feel like France is a hotbed of terrorist activity and has probably deterred more than a few people from traveling to that country.

I'm not saying that the media shouldn't cover these events, of course, just that the coverage does tend to color people's perception of the overall safety of traveling abroad, while people tend to see events such as the nightclub shooting in Orlando or the terrorist attack in San Bernadino as isolated events that would never happen to them. I think it's easier in general to feel safer in a country/environment that you are familiar with and have lived in all of your life with no issues as opposed to visiting a place that you aren't all that familiar with and don't live in on a daily basis.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:20 PM

343 posts, read 316,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For whatever reason, some people just hate the idea of visiting certain places. Some people simply refuse to go to developing countries, some hate to visit big cities such as Paris or New York, many don't want to go to any mountains. For myself, the one place I absolutely refuse to go to is the Caribbean's.

Are there any places you (maybe irrationally) refuse to visit over the years?

No need to respond if you intend to say something like "all places are beautiful and unique in their own ways and I am willing to visit anywhere given the chance". This post is more about eccentricities of people.
There is nothing wrong with your post it's life, it is what it is, there are just some places that we don't click with, we just don't gravitate towards and there is nothing wrong with that.

Let me give an example, in 2011 for the first time I traveled abroad to Queensland, Australia for a study abroad program. I absolutely LOVED my time there, the area was gorgeous..BUT..the vibe was 'off' for me the whole time..i felt emotionally uncomfortable, which impacted my ability to socialize. Yes, it was my first time traveling outside the states alone (technically i was with a group of USA students, but i did not know anyone and i was the only one in my school who went to Australia)..but i just could not force myself to feel at ease if that makes sense. In the future, whenever I have the money...I would go back to Australia, but probably not the exact same location (if that even makes a difference).

I do not want to go to India, North Korea, or the Middle East (Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, excluded). I also do not want to go to Canada, England, Africa (Morroco, Egpyt, Nigeria, Zimbabwe excluded), Saudi Arabia i am on the fence about.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
We don't just have mass shootings in the US. We have many "ordinary" shootings where one to a few people bite the dust. Some of these, but not most, are fatal violence at strangers.

Our gun death is so high that quite a few other countries (i.e "foreign") publish advisories for their citizens about travel to the US.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:35 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
We don't just have mass shootings in the US. We have many "ordinary" shootings where one to a few people bite the dust. Some of these, but not most, are fatal violence at strangers.

Our gun death is so high that quite a few other countries (i.e "foreign") publish advisories for their citizens about travel to the US.
Yup, it only takes one bullet aimed correctly. And with the USA being so pro gun...it's worrisome .

On topic: no desire to visit,middle east,asia, or any country that will toss you in jail for simply smiling.
State wise, Alaska ,north Dakota, Connecticut.i would say new Jersey,but I have a relative there...

Old 12-14-2016, 06:02 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
There is nothing wrong with your post it's life, it is what it is, there are just some places that we don't click with, we just don't gravitate towards and there is nothing wrong with that.

Let me give an example, in 2011 for the first time I traveled abroad to Queensland, Australia for a study abroad program. I absolutely LOVED my time there, the area was gorgeous..BUT..the vibe was 'off' for me the whole time..i felt emotionally uncomfortable, which impacted my ability to socialize. Yes, it was my first time traveling outside the states alone (technically i was with a group of USA students, but i did not know anyone and i was the only one in my school who went to Australia)..but i just could not force myself to feel at ease if that makes sense. In the future, whenever I have the money...I would go back to Australia, but probably not the exact same location (if that even makes a difference).

I do not want to go to India, North Korea, or the Middle East (Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, excluded). I also do not want to go to Canada, England, Africa (Morroco, Egpyt, Nigeria, Zimbabwe excluded), Saudi Arabia i am on the fence about.
What's wrong with Armenia or Georgia?

Old 12-15-2016, 03:27 PM

536 posts, read 639,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
In Europe, no plans to get to Romania, Bulgaria, former Yugoslavia, or former Soviet Republics.
You're really missing out on some of the nicest countries in Europe to visit, especially Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Slovenia, Armenia, Georgia, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. It's not the Cold War anymore.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:17 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
Any predominately Muslim country (aside from Turkey) in addition to India. I have been to Morocco and I can't say I was impressed by the place (and in some ways I was disgusted as well) and considering that Morocco is considered to be pretty liberal compared with other countries in North Africa/Middle East, that probably means that the neighboring countries are a lot worse. Plus from what I have heard India is pretty filthy and there is a lot of poverty there (even compared with other developing countries).

Old 12-15-2016, 05:37 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
India? Crowded enough without you. You can't imagine what you're missing, though. Without a doubt the most colorful chaotic and interesting country I've been to. Poverty? Saw more poverty on the streets of Wash DC than I did in India. Filth? Sure you can find it, but just go by certain housing projects in DC (on the way to a famous water garden) on Sunday morning and see worse. OTOH, Delhi's air quality is pretty amazing, in a negative way, but no worse than Beijing. But my visit to Hyderabad had good air quality. YMMV.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:03 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Poverty? Saw more poverty on the streets of Wash DC than I did in India.
Quote:
Filth? Sure you can find it, but just go by certain housing projects in DC (on the way to a famous water garden) on Sunday morning and see worse.
Hah hah.

Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel