Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 12:26 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times

Advertisements

I have met people like this who only go to one location over and over. I would never do that no matter how much I loved a place, but if that's how people want to spend their money it's their choice.

There are only a handful places I've been to more than once (Rome, London, Paris, Sydney and Bangkok twice each) out of the 48 countries I've been to. I almost always go somewhere new. I figure when I retire I'll go back to some of my favorite places and spend a month or two to really immerse myself in the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I do not think there is any reason to feel sorry for them. I am sure they are quite happy and intelligent.
probably lazy, because exploring a new place actually requires a lot of research - where to go, what to do. They would probably need to spend more money too by going a bit further.

Not really sorry, but more like how we feel toward those who eat hamburgers and potato and nothing else their entire life.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:13 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've met up with some of these people, in my 65 years, they get stuck on one travel destination and refuse to try any place else! So with these people, with safe predictability, you can ask them, year after year: How was your trip to London this year? How was your trip to Nashville this year? How was Hawaii this year? Did you get adventuresome this time, and explore another island beside Oahu?

I'm the type, even though I raved to no end about some new destination I discovered, I keep on trying new places. And, how many times, I got to my new destinations, and?

"Serve you right for being so adventuresome! You miscalculated and spent the whole time thinking of the last exciting place you visited, but decided not to return there!"

How about you? Do you know of these type of travelers? And what do you make of it? A little envious, maybe, to be that content with just repeatedly going back to the same place, over and over again?

I have the nerve to travel to London regularly and Los Angeles (I'll be moving there in 2016) and Toronto (just 4 hours away). But I do go to new places. I had a spontaneous trip to Amsterdam in 2013 and absolutely LOVED it. Time and money and the simple love of a place force people to choose it time and time again. For me, with London, there's so much to do there, and I have friends. Everytime I go there, I do something NEW. I love London.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:45 AM

442 posts, read 496,246 times
I travel for two reasons - explore new places, and relax.

I have a "go-to" place for relaxing, and then I put a new destination in queue for the "explore" aspect.

So - out of two "big" vacations I take each year, one will undoubtedly be to my relaxing place, to forget life for a while. Sure, people ask me why I spend 1000's each year to go back and "do/see the same thing", but to me, the $$ is worth the relaxing and refreshment I get. I know when I go there that I will come back ready to face reality again.

My money - my choosing on how to spend it. Judgemental people - I pay no mind

Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
I travel for two reasons - explore new places, and relax.

I have a "go-to" place for relaxing, and then I put a new destination in queue for the "explore" aspect.
I think a lot of people do this. And of course the "go-to" place, by virtue of being revisited over many, many years, inevitably becomes associated with all sorts of fond memories which become more meaningful as you grow older. So revisiting it allows you to reconnect emotionally with earlier times in your life, which is something the "new exploration" place can't do.

The two types of travel fill different needs, and one is not superior to the other. I'm in an exploration phase right now, but that doesn't keep me from cherishing my memories of my many summer vacations at Grandma's farm when I was a kid - and if I could go back there again, I certainly would! (Alas, the farm exists only in photos and memories now.)

Old 06-09-2015, 02:53 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
probably lazy, because exploring a new place actually requires a lot of research - where to go, what to do. They would probably need to spend more money too by going a bit further.

Not really sorry, but more like how we feel toward those who eat hamburgers and potato and nothing else their entire life.
I've only traveled a couple of times out of the country so far because it's not the cheapest thing to do. I have plans of course to travel in the future & I enjoy planning future trips. However, in the meantime since I don't do annual overseas trips like so many others on here like to say they do, I love going to my place up north throughout the year. Some would consider that visiting the same place over & over. So what? I plan to move there eventually, I love going there, it's my happy place. Am I lazy? Uh, no.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Tell that to the legions of young backpackers who just buy plane and/or train tickets and go. Or, at the opposite extreme, the folks who sign up for guided tours. Both groups are seeing new places, but with no significant amount of advanced planning involved.

I think many of the other posters in the thread have identified the key distinction: an emphasis on relaxation and comfort versus excitement and novelty. Folks who travel to the same place repeatedly prefer the former, while folks who rarely see the same place twice prefer the latter. It's just a matter of personal preference, and can also change over time.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:49 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
My mother and her husband go to Italy every year and have for years. They go because they enjoy it, I don't think they feel "stuck".

Old 06-11-2015, 12:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
One of my brothers has been going to the Azores every summer for a month since the 80's. His health is shot but he doesn't let that stop him. I believe that he is at his happiest there - he likes the way of life, and he likes the relatives.

I have fallen into repeated trips to New Orleans. We go every other year and it is very addicting for us. We're slated to return next year but I'd really like to move it up to October if I can swing it. Too hard to wait.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
One of my brothers has been going to the Azores every summer for a month since the 80's. His health is shot but he doesn't let that stop him. I believe that he is at his happiest there - he likes the way of life, and he likes the relatives.

I have fallen into repeated trips to New Orleans. We go every other year and it is very addicting for us. We're slated to return next year but I'd really like to move it up to October if I can swing it. Too hard to wait.

I think there's something to be said for really getting to know a place and culture, as opposed to just skimming the service for a couple of weeks. I do the latter, I just like to see a lot of places. But I'll never know any of them the way my mom knows Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel