Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 11:20 AM

719 posts, read 1,058,983 times

Advertisements

It drives me nuts the way summer gets shorter every year in that advertising wants you to start thinking about fall almost right at the beginning of August. Some of the best trips I have had have been in August and I like to think of it more as mid summer even though the days in August are a little shorter than in July. I wouldn't mind June being thought of as more of a spring month with summer really not kicking off till July and have September be more of a summer month than a fall month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 12:06 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
If you have kids in school, then August is definitely end-of-summer, and September is fall. It's too bad, too, because I love the weather in September, and I would much rather travel during that month than in July.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 PM

719 posts, read 1,058,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If you have kids in school, then August is definitely end-of-summer, and September is fall. It's too bad, too, because I love the weather in September, and I would much rather travel during that month than in July.
I don't have kids but I see why if you did why August would be more of a signal of late summer.Its just that from year to year the push to make August late summer seems to get more relentless.

Some of my best memories as a kid were of trips in August. I used to go to Charleston (SC) with my mom and dad and some friends the last week in July for several years but I remember one year we went the first week in August.I loved that. I know this is all just psychological but by going it August instead of July it was like you still had a bit of summer to enjoy instead of just thinking about how school was coming up(which starts here about August 21st).

One thing I would do to extend my summer was while we were at the beach in Charleston I would try to plant the idea into my parents' head(usually my mom was more open to this idea than my dad) of going to the mountains in North Carolina when we got back from Charleston.I think I convinced my mom to go to the NC mountains at least twice after getting back from the beach. Great memories.

Last edited by senecaman; 06-04-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
It all depends. I generally consider it late summer, but it was definitely "winter" (albeit a very mild winter, as it generally is/more like a late fall in NYC) when I was in Sydney, Australia in August 2013.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:33 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
It drives me nuts the way summer gets shorter every year in that advertising wants you to start thinking about fall almost right at the beginning of August. Some of the best trips I have had have been in August and I like to think of it more as mid summer even though the days in August are a little shorter than in July. I wouldn't mind June being thought of as more of a spring month with summer really not kicking off till July and have September be more of a summer month than a fall month.
I define summer as when it is either at least 85 degrees (or feels like it) for most of the month.

In New England (where lived for three years and still vacation), the lakes and ocean are not really even warm enough to go swimming until about the July 4 weekend, imo, and so to me, summer there is about July 1 to about September 15.

In Colorado, summer is from about the last week of May until about early October (although we often have one snow in September).

In California, summer is from about May 1 through the entire month of October. (At least that is how it was when I lived there from 1963-86.)

In Alabama, it felt like summer all year long!

So, in short, I think it depends on where you live or where you go!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:36 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
In my mind, Labor Day has always been the end of summer.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:07 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,789,073 times
I think that it's mid summer when you are in the point in life when you're not in school and you don't have school aged children yet. When you are in one of those two groups your concept of the year revolves around the school year and August is late summer. I remember one of the first things I had to get used to after college was that the year begins in January, not September.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Until you get to the last week of August, I just call it "summer."

Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Depends where you are. In Denali National Park late August is autumn. In Cape Town, it's midwinter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel