Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:50 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,623,869 times

Advertisements

Hello. I was reading another thread and many people mentioned they had selected their seats strategically and then the airline moved them. This has happened to me more times than I can recall and it's so aggravating. What's worse is they always switch me to a seat that's worse, usually a middle seat in the back of the plane. Why do they do this and why can't I just get the seat I paid for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,227,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Why do they do this and why can't I just get the seat I paid for?
You paid for **A** seat ... not necessarily THAT seat.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:05 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,309,907 times
I've heard that they'll do this in order to give their preferred customers a better choice of seats. Don't know if this is true or not.

I used to really despise Southwest's open-seating policy, but I'm starting to see the benefits. Yes, the A-listers get first crack at it, followed by people who paid $12.50 to get Early Bird Check-In. But after that, it's first-come, first-served. If you can get the seat of your choice, you know it'll be yours for the duration of the flight.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,622,884 times
Never happened to me. I always got the seat I selected while doing online check in.

Also: sometimes people pay for better seats (such as exit row), so there is really no complaint about that.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 22,650,364 times
Equipment (aka plane) change is a common one. Within each kind of aircraft there are different subtypes and seating configurations (especially when you get two airlines merging into one) and if an airline was supposed to be, say, using a 737-800 for a given flight and had to change that to, say, a 737-700 for whatever reason (mechanical, weather delays, whatever) the seating configuration between the two planes is just different enough that some people will end up in different seats due to the plane swap.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 AM

30,454 posts, read 17,876,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Never happened to me. I always got the seat I selected while doing online check in.

Also: sometimes people pay for better seats (such as exit row), so there is really no complaint about that.
Likewise. Never happened to me either. And I've never paid extra for seating.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 AM

3,254 posts, read 4,956,361 times
This happened to me for the first time three days ago. My boarding pass said seat 15E (window), but when the gate agent scanned my pass as I was boarding, out popped another boarding pass changing me to 17E. I was at first startled by the switch, not having had this experience before, but in the end it made no difference to me.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've heard that they'll do this in order to give their preferred customers a better choice of seats. Don't know if this is true or not.

I used to really despise Southwest's open-seating policy, but I'm starting to see the benefits. Yes, the A-listers get first crack at it, followed by people who paid $12.50 to get Early Bird Check-In. But after that, it's first-come, first-served. If you can get the seat of your choice, you know it'll be yours for the duration of the flight.
Not the case at all.

Seats get switched due to equipment changes. Unless you are on Air France and their entire ticketing and seating system fails. Happened to me. Won't every fly them again, their handling of a problem they were aware was a problem long beforehand was abysmal.

Anyhow, airlines have a bucket of seats that are allocated for frequent flyers. To those without status they just look like booked seats. Most also reserve exit rows for those with status. Best thing to do is check your seat every couple weeks, every week as you get closer. If it's changed, fix it before everyone else realizes their seats are also changed and snap things up.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:53 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,342,073 times
This rarely ever happens to me. I guess periodically check your reservation on the airline's website. If an equipment change happens, you can pick another better seat.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 PM

13,254 posts, read 22,650,364 times
Though if it's really last minute, not so much. I've had to deplane after boarding already started because the pilot doing his preflight checklist saw something he didn't like and it was quicker for Delta to move us to a plane already set up for the following morning's flight than to keep us on the plane while the mechanics did their troubleshooting. (I think they were worried about the crew timing out and going illegal if the delay was going to be any length of time.) Fortunately it was 717 to 717 and Delta seems to have only one configuration of those so the gate agents didn't have to re-seat anyone; we just used the same boarding assignments from the firstp lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel