Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 05:42 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

They are already available. I just booked mine using miles. I could only get the saver award in one direction so it cost me 75K miles, but for a 6.5 hour flight in this cabin, I think it is well worth it.

Annerk, I tried to rep you, but it said I have to spread them around. I must have repped you in the past for something.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 06-22-2015 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
By the way, I adore the BA First long haul product.
BA lie-flat business class is almost as good. I can never justify paying for FC when BC is available. (Most people, I realize, can't even afford BC.)

Old 06-23-2015, 09:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
BA lie-flat business class is almost as good. I can never justify paying for FC when BC is available. (Most people, I realize, can't even afford BC.)
I agree and won't pay cash for it, but when I have an overload of miles I like to splurge on the upgrade.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:11 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Unless there was something that really stood out about you (you hadn't bathed in a few days or were dressed in a way that really drew attention to yourself) I highly doubt anyone gave you a second glance, let alone a disgusting look. On most planes everyone needs to walk through first to get to their seats. There are only a few that first turns left while the others turn right.

This aircraft was a Boeing 757-200 with the Lie flat. Normally at that airport they will put the jetbridge at the door behind First class; not this time.

We did get looks as my mum and other people remarked on it. One girl in particularly was very grumpy and disgusted that we were walking by her. I suppose it wasn't directed at us in particular probably just that they were disturbed.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I haven't gone through this whole thread but in my mind there is some confusion, typified by the above post. I'm not berating anyone, just seeking clarification.

I tend to fly British Airways which has normal economy class (though there is a section where the seats are a bit more spacious), business class, and on long haul a separate first class.

I get the feeling that in some posts business class and first class are being used interchangeably.

I have flown economy/super economy and business many times but only once in first class.

That was on a return flight from the Caribbean many moons ago when the passenger next to me in economy suddenly went ballistic, thrashing around all over the place and my wife and I got bumped up to the only other seats available which were in first.

Back then there were maybe a dozen large armchairs dotted around a large area with the seat in front of me maybe ten feet away- difficult to remember. The layout has probably changed but it was super impressive at the time.

Nowadays there is absolutely NO difference. I am booked onto Business this July and it is a lie flat seat, the same as First class. The difference in most airlines is just a different colour of seats and more miles and higher quality food.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I just did a google search and found the article below. It says that United is moving all of it's premium first class from JFK to Newark for it's transcontinental flights. Thats great for me, because I have to fly to SF in March for a conference. I'll be sure to make my reservation on one of these.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/bu...to-newark.html

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

Yes I am made out to be a liar. I have flown on a few airlines and there definitely isn't a difference in First class and Business class.

Some airlines are even pulling it out.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,415 times
I've never paid for it once and never would. I have however been bumped up to first-class three times over the years. The extra room is nice, but other than that it certainly isn't worth the huge increase in price. Maybe when I'm retired I might splurge and go first class a few times when I go to an international destination. I'd never do it though for a domestic flight, not worth it.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:53 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
I only dream of flying first-class or even business-class.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
This aircraft was a Boeing 757-200 with the Lie flat. Normally at that airport they will put the jetbridge at the door behind First class; not this time.

We did get looks as my mum and other people remarked on it. One girl in particularly was very grumpy and disgusted that we were walking by her. I suppose it wasn't directed at us in particular probably just that they were disturbed.
I doubt it had anything to do with you. Perhaps the person in front of you turned around and almost clocked her with their backpack or something. I fly F most of the time and could care less where someone else is sitting on the plane. The only time I get annoyed is when people traipse up from economy to use the F lav after they have already been told to use the lav in their class of service due to upgraded security. Of course people near the front with young (under five) children or the elderly or infirm are an exception.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Nowadays there is absolutely NO difference. I am booked onto Business this July and it is a lie flat seat, the same as First class. The difference in most airlines is just a different colour of seats and more miles and higher quality food.
I disagree. There are plenty of other differences which can vary by airline. Pajamas, a pre flight massage, upgraded lounge offerings, upgraded amenity kit, higher FA to passenger ratio, more privacy, better pillows and bedding, an even wider/longer seat, a buddy seat for dining together, the list goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel